Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Barrel vice

(Centre County)

Default Barrel vice

Anyone have any suggestions on good places to find barrel vices. I have some demilled receivers with nice barrels I'd like to separate (mostly sks) and the ones I've seen cost a fortune and look like $h@t. Anyone make a homemade one with success?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Barrel vice

Yeah.

I've made them out of hardwoods and a little bit of felt. Get two flat blocks, cut a V groove in each, line with felt, and use them in a vice to hold the barrel.
    Last edited by knight0334; August 6th, 2012 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Typo
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Yeah.

I've made them out of hardwoods and a little bit of felt. Get to flat blocks, cut a V groove in each, line with felt, and use them in a vice to hold the barrel.
    +1 only i wrap the barrel with many layers of painters tape. I also soak them in pb blaster and/or use a propane torch to assist.

(Berks County)

I have never done anything with SKS's myself, but the scuttlebut is they can be pretty tight. If the barrel starts slipping in the vise, try putting baseball rosin (sticky stuff) on the barrel, that has worked for me in the past with very tight bolt action barrels.

If you are simply removing receiver "stubs" from good barrels. You may want to use a cutting wheel (small dremel type will work) on the receiver section being very careful not to go to deep near the barrel threads. Once a good groove is cut, a few whacks with a cold chisel and hammer should split it and the barrel should spin right off. I have probably done a dozen FAL barrels in this manner that had demilled receiver stubs still on the barrels.

Depending on how much of the SKS reciever is there, you may be able to do it this way as well without having to worry about marring up the barrels.

Good luck...post some pictures if you can.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(York County)

done several of these with a bench vise and a wrecking bar. in my case the receiver stub was enuf to stick a wrecking bar in between the sides. not that much torque.