Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Good 22LR supressor-ready pistol?

Hello Friends,

I own two .22LR target pistols, one of which is threaded for a suppressor. But I am looking for a more general-purpose .22 pistol that either comes with or can accept a threaded barrel for eventual addition of a suppressor. I solicit the combined experience of the membership to weigh in on the topic to help me decide.

The pistols I have considered the most so far are Walther P22 and S&W M&P 22. I know Walther makes both of them, and both are threaded and can accept a 'can' with the addition of a $30 adapter. I hear mixed reviews about both guns. What have been your experiences?

I also considered a Ruger SR22 (no barrels yet available from Ruger, 3rd party are pricey), And Beretta 87 (gorgeous but expensive and only 3rd party barrels, also expensive).

I know little about the Sig Mosquito. Is this a good option?

Insights, opinions, appreciated. No rants solicited .

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by GonzoGeezer; August 3rd, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Good 22LR supressor-ready pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoGeezer View Post
    Hello Friends,

I own two .22LR target pistols, one of which is threaded for a suppressor. But I am looking for a more general-purpose .22 pistol that either comes with or can accept a threaded barrel for eventual addition of a suppressor. I solicit the combined experience of the membership to weigh in on the topic to help me decide.

The pistols I have considered the most so far are Walther P22 and S&W M&P 22. I know Walther makes both of them, and both are threaded and can accept a 'can' with the addition of a $30 adapter. I hear mixed reviews about both guns. What have been your experiences?

I also considered a Ruger SR22 (no barrels yet available from Ruger, 3rd party are pricey), Sig Mosquito (expensive), Beretta 87 (gorgeous but expensive and only 3rd party barrels, also expensive)

Thanks for reading.
    Ruger mkiii. There is a factory threaded model. It will probably outlive you.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Chester County)

I shoot both a p22 and a sig 1911 22. I absolutely love the 1911 22 . Adaptors are pretty cheap. The p22 is just too small for me. They have both been ultra reliable. Bear in Mind the 1911 is really just a gsg so you can probably find one from gsg for less money.

(Lancaster County)

in my opinion if you see a sig mosquito, RUN AND DO NOT SLOW DOWN TO LOOK BACK. i had 2 over the last few years and the damn things just refuse to run, even with stingers. i got at least 3-4 malfuntions of one sort or another per mag. the second one i got a year or so after the first went bye bye due to thinking it may have just been a turd gun i got first. nope, the second was the same just a big p.o.s. i kept them clean and lubed and no matter what i did neither would run for me. ymmv.
    Last edited by nateebobo; August 3rd, 2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: stupid keyboard

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by thelemite View Post
    Ruger mkiii. There is a factory threaded model. It will probably outlive you.
    I shoot a MKIII Target so I checked out Ruger early on. I should have mentioned I looked at but dropped the 22/45 Threaded from my list. Fixed sights or Picatinney rail only, I don't want to start buying Red-dots, etc., in order to aim it effectively. Plus, I'm not a fan of the ergonomics. But I appreciate your input.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Lehigh County)

Hello Friends,

I also considered a Ruger SR22 (no barrels yet available from Ruger, 3rd party are pricey), And Beretta 87 (gorgeous but expensive and only 3rd party barrels, also expensive).

I know little about the Sig Mosquito. Is this a good option?

Thanks for reading.
    GSG 1911-22. Comes with threaded barrel already.

(Monroe County)

I shoot a MKIII Target so I checked out Ruger early on. I should have mentioned I looked at but dropped the 22/45 Threaded from my list. Fixed sights or Picatinney rail only, I don't want to start buying Red-dots, etc., in order to aim it effectively. Plus, I'm not a fan of the ergonomics. But I appreciate your input.
    No problem.
    That's why they make different types of guns!

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Chester County)

Μολὼν λάβε

(Butler County)

I had a P22....100 rounds later I dump it and picked up a Ruger MKIII 22/45. Now that I'm 1500 rounds into the Ruger, I'm still pissed about wasting 100 round with the P22 I'm running the Ruger with an AAC Element and love it.

(Lycoming County)

Ruger MKIII would be my first choice but I also love my GSG 1911 22.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast