Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default possible new handloader

possible new handloader..can anyone recommend a handloading kit ? have about 300 to spend...im a new rookie to this but am very interested ...also a kit that can be expanded ....thanks all...vic

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: possible new handloader

Both RCBS and Lee sell kits. Everything you need to get started is in the kits. And yes, you can expand on the kit. There's no reason to use only what is in the kit.

If you have a $300 budget, blow it on this kit. It has EVERYTHING you need to load anything you want.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...599&t=11082005
    You will still need to buy the dies for your caliber(s).

You won't NEED to expand on this kit, but you will want to get a couple of reloading manuals. I like the Lyman #48. It should set you back no more than $25. It has complete step by step reloading instructions. It also contains some data you may not find published by powder or bullet manufacturers.

Midway also has some single caliber booklets. Each book is a compilation of load data from the different powder and bullet manufacturers - all for a single caliber. They're about $6 each, but well worth it.

When reloading, you can never have too much data.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Pike County)

wow das ,,thats the same model i was about too pick up from midway also..looks like my best bang for the buck,,

(Berks County)

If your budget is 300 does that include the cost of powder and primers and bullets and brass if you don't have any? I just looked up the Lee Challenger kit it is 105.00 here is the link
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...081&t=11082005
    All you need is bullets and powder and primers and you old brass. Lee equipment is not bad to use I have a lot of Lee equipment. You can spend more money on bullets and primes and powder.
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

(Tioga County)

A couple of things that are generally not in a kit that you will want to consider: calipers (you really do need these)
    tumbler (you will be glad you did)

You didn't state what you intend to reload or how much you want to reload. It's important as to which equipment to pick.

Quote Originally Posted by vic2367 View Post
    possible new handloader..can anyone recommend a handloading kit ? have about 300 to spend...im a new rookie to this but am very interested ...also a kit that can be expanded ....thanks all...vic

(Pike County)

already have some digital calipers
    was gonna start reloading some .380s and 40 sw

(Bedford County)

I personally think this kit is the best bang for the buck.

http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products.../KempfKit.html

You get the press (which can be used as an auto indexing turret or single stage press), 4 die set of your choice, safety prime system, auto disk powder measure with auto disk riser, some plastic ammo boxes.

I would recommend the following upgrades (available at the time you order):

- Upgrade to safety prime system (large and small primers) $8.00
    - Upgrade to Pro AutoDisk powder measure $11.95.

So for about $170 you get one heck of a set up. This would give you most of the larger $ items (other than a scale). The rest (i.e., funnel, case lube, chamfer tol, loading blocks, etc) you could pick up rather cheaply.

Also Sue Kempf has top notch customer service. Send her an email adn you get quick honest replies.

Just my $.02 Good Luck and post here what you decide and how it works out!!
    <a href=http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehosting/2175485722f4a1b35.jpg target=_blank>http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehost...722f4a1b35.jpg</a>

"A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

(Tioga County)

If pistol is your thing I would suggest you get a Lee turret press with auto indexing. The new Lee Classic press would I think suit you just fine but as yet it's not offered in kit form.
    If you talk to Sue at:

http://www.kempfgunshop.com/

Phone: (219) 872-7957

She can put you together a good outfit at a reasonable price.
    as to bullets the prices etc change often so you just need to shop around for the bes deal
    Powder and primers are best bought local unless you buy a lot of it. it's the hazmat fees that will eat you up.

(Pike County)

how bout the lee setups ? are they any good ?

(Berks County)

Lee kits are great to start with. You only need to purchase the dies, bullets, powder and primers. I am a red crew member, all my presses are Lee. The only piece of equipment that is not Lee is my scale. I use a RCBS 505 scale, My eyes started to bother me after looking at the Lee scale after a while. I agree with Rwilson452 about starting with a Turret press, it is semi-progressive so you can load only one case at a time.
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast