Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Saiga 12 Conversion. Safety stuck?

So Ive started converting my saiga over. Things have been going smoothly until I attempt to put my safety back in. It does not want to slide in all the way. I have the bolt hold open and axis pin retaining plate from Caroling shooters supply and it will not go all the way back in with or without the plate being on. It seems to catch on something but I cant tell what and that causes the safety from going all the way into the pivot holeand allowing it to fold down to where its supposed to be. I dont have any pictures becaues Ive hit my limit of frustration for the night so ill hit it again in the morning. Any one else experience this? I can wrap this thing up and go enjoy it once the safety is done and in place

Default Re: Saiga 12 Conversion. Safety stuck?

not exactly sure what youre up against w/o pics but i think you need to notch the bho to get the safety back in.

check out the conversion threads at saiga12.com for some detailed pics n steps. if not post some pics n lets see.

(Lackawanna County)

its already notched or at least its supposed to be,

From what I can tell the safety does not slide in far enough to the receiver to get to the safetyls pivot point something is stopping it from sliding all the way in and I cant figure it out. not sure if the bho is catching theres somtehing on the safety catching or the axis pin retaining plate is the culprit. Pretty sure thats not it though since it does it with it out as well.

(Blair County)

Is the retaining plate for rifles or shotguns? If the top hole is closed its for a rifle, open its for a shotgun. Carolina sells both

Although that BHO is already notched out.... you might have to "open" it up some more. The last few guns that I've helped with have needed the hole made deeper between the 7 to 10 o clock position (from that stock photo).
    I used a chainsaw sharpening wheel on my dremel, slower speed and fit often.

One thing that I've learned is most of the aftermarket parts are/were made taking measurements off older guns, the newer imports need just a little fitting to get the "drop in" parts to drop in. I hasn't been much, but just enough to drive you insane.

Best guesses without pictures.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Lackawanna County)

I got it figured out. I'm pretty sure every piece hat went on this thing needed some modification to it to work. But here it is

Nice Conversion,

CSS actually has some half-way decent Videos on doing the Conversion on their website and in the future always remember that Google is your friend, Glad to see you figured it out though.

Bettcha can't wait to take it for a test drive.

Enjoy,

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Lackawanna County)

I'm willing to bet if you watch the CSS videos you'll get pissed. Its definitely not as easy as they make it look. My hold up was I didn't want to grind or trim if I didn't have to. Well every damn piece needed it

(Blair County)

It is that easy, on the 10th gun you've done that day.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    I'm willing to bet if you watch the CSS videos you'll get pissed. Its definitely not as easy as they make it look. My hold up was I didn't want to grind or trim if I didn't have to. Well every damn piece needed it
    That was what I used, I couldn't find any Youtube Videos that had decent camera angles, The CSS Videos helped a lot, I didn't use the retaining plate, So I guess it would've made a difference.

I just didn't know enough about AK internals to know I needed the plate, All in all though it took me about 3 hours start to finish.

TJB
    Recoil Happens