Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default springfield xds recommendations

So im definitely going to be getting a Springfield xds sometime in august, a few gun shops around where I work have them in

Now my question, I was wondering if I should get all black or bitone? I've only seen one bitone in stock at a shop near by for about 50 bucks more and the average price for an all black one is about 580.00, the lady at the shop said the xds in bitone is rare and the one she has will probably sell fast and she probably wouldn't get another one in for a few weeks.

From what I've seen all the fully black ones have little scratches in the slide, im guessing from normal packaging or just people handling them when they check them out, now it doesn't bother me that much just a little. What worries me about the bitone though is I hear they rust fairly quick, not like major rust but just little rust spots on the slide, now I don't want to pay extra for a gun that will start rusting up but idk how true this is and if oiling the slide every night after carrying will prevent this? Now about the full black, well I've read that the full black shows more wear over time, like scratches from unholstering the gun and just going to the range, so I know that will be annoying too. I guess what im asking is what gun is easier to maintain and which one shows less wear over time and retains its nice appearance?

So what's everyones recommendation for me, also fyi this will be my main cc firearm, and I do like the bitone look a little better but not so much where ill want to deal with rusting though.

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: springfield xds recommendations

I didn't notice any scratches on mine, or any I've seen? I just checked mine again because you had me curious. Going price seems to be $549 ish, so I'd be sure to shop around. Love mine, no issues at all. Holsters were a little tough to come by so I ended up buying a nice desantis made for a PPS 9/40 and after a little breaking in, it works just fine. As far as black vs bi-tone - I like both, but for a primary carry, I opted for black - as little "flash" as possible if my shirt rides up or whatever. I haven't seen any bi-tones yet, I heard they were out, but haven't seen in person. Good luck, great gun!

I have the black for the same reason (less flash). When I got mine I was more concerned with making sure the dealer ordered the package that included the light, extra mags, mag loader, and holster.

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    I have the black for the same reason (less flash). When I got mine I was more concerned with making sure the dealer ordered the package that included the light, extra mags, mag loader, and holster.
    What light are you talking about because from all the packages I've seen they all have the extra mag the holster the mag holster and a few other goodies but no light?

Smile Re: springfield xds recommendations

Always been a fan of all black,no special reason,JMO.

(Montgomery County)

Love my all black one. I was on the fence. Took the one they had.

As far as rusting... All metals will rust if not cared for.

Some other xd products showed rusting around the sights and slide if store long term in a case. Humidity and the enclosed space and the porus nature of the foam all contribute. Springfield has refinished those that had problems early on.

When not carrying, I wipe down with a rag before storing in the safe.

I have had mine for a about a week now and carried in heat and sweat. My parkerized limbers would show surface rust the next day in similar environment. I sweat a lot. My Springfield has not shown a sign of this. The finish is also new vs the older kimbers.

I like this. XDs. I used the thinner blackstrap. Worked better for me, I do not have small hands.

As for holsters I was going to try the nra total concealment holster and the undertech concealment shirt, main reason because ill be carrying in philly 90% of the time, a lot in university city and I don't want any chance of showing or printing, I don't want to get harassed by campus police or security, those seem like the best options for me mainly because im not too big about 5'6 and weigh about 160 and the only things I wear are full jeans never shorts with a button up shirt tucked in, I rarely ever wear only t shirt maybe when its 90 or above I will

Quote Originally Posted by darkhunter View Post
    What light are you talking about because from all the packages I've seen they all have the extra mag the holster the mag holster and a few other goodies but no light?
    It's the XML by Insight. I bought my XD in 2005 and it came with the package.

Is there a reason as to why the bi tone shows more wear on the barrel, Ive checked out two xds bi tone and both have some wear on the outside of the barrel like scratches while the all black doesn't have any at all, the guy at the store said its because of the stainless steal finish and that's why causes it, but to me both of the bi tone seem to lack oil on the barrel where as the all black you can see a good amount of oil on the barrel, just wondering if this should impact my decision

Thank you