Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default Springfield Armory GI 45

Last week I decided that I needed another gun and more specifically another 1911, so while looking at some 1911's my gun dealer brought out a used SA OD Green GI 45. Didn't like the color especially since it had a little bit of holster wear on the green but the price was right and it seemed to be in excellent health otherwise. Immediately ran to the range and started shooting...

First magazine had 2 failures to feed, 2nd mag had 4. This was with 230grn ball ammo what this gun was designed for so I was getting a bit irritated. Ran some more rounds through without it getting much better, so I figured if it won't feed ball it definitely won't feed hp's and I was correct it was having just as hard of a time feeding hp's. Took it home took it apart and looked at the throat... The gap between the feed ramp and the throat was way beyond accepted amount. Apparently the guy that used to own this 1911 thought it would be a good idea to take the throat way back and put different angles in it. So went to my smith to see if he happened to have any 1911 barrels laying around and he had a few Kart NM barrels still in the package.

So I left the gun with him so he could properly fit it. Next day he called me tells me it's done, so I hurry over and it looks great and feels great. He tells me same thing that I had found and said he was impressed with the gun overall though it has an excellent fit. Immediately though I go to the range to try it out. It feeds flawlessly for the 250 rounds of 230grn ball I had in my car and just as flawlessly with the 70 rounds of mixed hollow points I ran through to include gold dots, golden sabers, and critical defense. But just as good as it fed it was shooting, this gun was putting rounds on top of each other at 15 yards! It shoots better than my Kimber's and Para's. So in all I have nothing but good things to say about Springfield Armory's GI 45 and Kart NM barrels. That GI style sights though I will be replacing with something a little bigger and easier to see the front from the back. Other than that I think the only thing I will do is get it Cerakoted.
    Last edited by soccerbum87; August 2nd, 2012 at 10:15 PM.

Default Re: Springfield Armory GI 45

Imo, the GI and the Mil-Spec represent the best bang for buck 1911s. I had a Mil-spec about 15 years ago, and it's still going strong in the collection of a close friend.

Right out of the box it was accurate and reliable as any other quality 1911 I've ever owned.

Congrats on your new purchase!

"X is what percentage of Y?" Divide the first number by the second, multiply the answer by 100. Add a percent sign. Think.

(Northampton County)

Stuff like that is pretty upsetting to me. I know I would never sell/ trade in a gun knowing it has problems, especially if I caused the problem. This guy must have thought he was the DIY master screwed up and decided to make it somebody else's problem. Glad it worked out for you though congrats on the pick up.

(Montgomery County)

Hard fit NM barrels take 1911s to a different level. Congrats on your new springer. Take a look at the 10-8 performance u-notch rear sight with a .140 notch. Really, really fast sight picture.

(Indiana County)

Yea that's the kind of sight set up I'm looking for, the issue style sights while they aren't horrible, being so fine you can get more precise shots but quick follow up shots are more difficult with the small fine sights. With the original barrel it was quite accurate but with this new hand fit NM barrel it took accuracy to another level and it is as reliable as can be. I was surprised with how nice the trigger was on it. It's not the lightest trigger but it's got a short pull and crisp break. The slide to frame fit is as good as my Kimber and Para. I'm not sure what direction I'm going to go with this 1911 though. It's so nice shooting that I want it to be more than just a range gun but there are a few things such as sights and the issue style beavertail that I will have to change out before I start carrying it a lot.

(Montgomery County)

I am not intending to thread jack your new pistol thread but I thought I'd post this up for you to check out. It is a Springer Pro finished in Black T. I modified it with a Wilson bullet-proof ambi and a 10-8 performance rear after this was taken. Springfield custom did the work. Other than that it is stock. Check out Springfield Custom's pricing and option guide on their website. They do tremendous work and give Black T some serious thought. It is the cat's ass. These come staight from Springfield hard fit. Freaking sniper rifles.
    t

(Indiana County)

That Black T finish is the color/look I want. It looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by soccerbum87 View Post
    Last week I decided that I needed another gun and more specifically another 1911, so while looking at some 1911's my gun dealer brought out a used SA OD Green GI 45. Didn't like the color especially since it had a little bit of holster wear on the green but the price was right and it seemed to be in excellent health otherwise. Immediately ran to the range and started shooting... This is where it goes down hill a bit. First had 2 failures to feed, 2nd mag had 4. This was with 230grn ball ammo what this gun was designed for so I was getting a bit irritated. Ran some more rounds through without it getting much better, so I figured if it won't feed ball it definitely won't feed hp's and I was correct it was having just as hard of a time feeding hp's. Took it home took it apart and looked at the throat... The gap between the feed ramp and the throat was way beyond accepted amount. Apparently the guy that used to own this 1911 thought it would be a good idea to take the throat way back and put different angles in it. So went to my smith to see if he happened to have any 1911 barrels laying around and he had a few Kart NM barrels still in the package. So I left the gun with him so he could properly fit it. Next day he called me tells me it's done, so I hurry over and it looks great and feels great. He tells me same thing that I had found and said he was impressed with the gun overall though it has an excellent fit. Immediately though I go to the range to try it out. It feeds flawlessly for the 250 rounds of 230grn ball I had in my car and just as flawlessly with the 70 rounds of mixed hollow points I ran through to include gold dots, golden sabers, and critical defense. But just as good as it fed it shot, this gun was putting rounds on top of each other at 15yds. It shoots better than my Kimber's and Para's. So in all I have nothing but good things to say about Springfield Armory's GI 45 and Kart NM barrels. That GI style sights though I will be replacing with something a little bigger and easier to see the front from the back. Other than that I think the only thing I will do is get it Cerakoted.

I think your gun is angry that you don't use paragraphs.

(Northampton County)

Wilson guy nice pistol, soccerbum87 if you have your feeding issues taken care fixing your finish problem is simple. sorry to here that they sold you a lemon to much of that crap happens on a regular basis. Brian / EFR
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Indiana County)

The smartphone posts are really starting to irk me.

Anyway, make sure you call the dealer and tell him whoever traded/sold it gave him a screwed up gun.
    This way he can remember the guy the next time he wants to get rid of something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast