Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Questions on 'private' firearms sales

I'm recently going through a divorce and need to 'lighten my load'. So I decided to sell my FN 5.7, it was a bad impulse buy anyway. I've never sold a firearm before. I didn't know if most gun store purchased firearms as well as sold them, or maybe try an action site. I know laws differ from state to state. I just don't want to violate any state or federal laws in the process

Thanks for any help
    Guns are like condoms. It's better to have and not need then to need and not have.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Questions on 'private' firearms sales

A gun store will give you next to nothing for a gun you are selling, even if it has never been fired. You are better off selling it privately (classified ads) or using an auction site like GunBroker. If you go to their site they explain exactly how it works.

If you sell through an auction site, you will ship the gun to a FFL in the buyers state and the FFL there complete the transfer. The FFL may not accept a shipment from a non FFL - you - so you may need to use a FFL in your area to ship the gun.

Go to Gunbroker and look over the site, read the auction listings, that will give you a feel for how things are done. Gunbroker also has sections to help a seller understand what and how to do things.

You can also sell it here on the forum, the classifieds here are seen by a lot of people.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Smile Re: Questions on 'private' firearms sales

Another option is giving it to a LGS on Consignment,with a percentage to go to store for sale usually 20-25% of sale price ,you willget more that way,good luck.

I think i'm better off using gunbroker just to be safe.

If I sell it here on the classified, I still have to ship to an FFL local to the buyer to complete the transfer, correct??

Do you think I have a good chance of getting $850 to $900 for an FN 5.7 purchased 5 month ago with about 300 rounds through it???
    Guns are like condoms. It's better to have and not need then to need and not have.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by cteaglesfan View Post

If I sell it here on the classified, I still have to ship to an FFL local to the buyer to complete the transfer, correct??

Do you think I have a good chance of getting $850 to $900 for an FN 5.7 purchased 5 month ago with about 300 rounds through it???
    I have shipped guns a couple times...it's pretty painless. Just make sure you receive payment first. I only accept USPS money order and verify it at a post office before shipping the gun from an FFL.

(Lehigh County)

if you sell it to someone local to you, you can just meet at any shop that does transfers, take the pistol with you and they will do the work.

(Westmoreland County)

What area of PA do you live in (it says CT on here)? We may be able to help find a dealer close to you that could help with either a consignment or shipping at least.

A dealer can ship a handgun USPS for muchhhh cheaper, where a non-licensee cannot use USPS and is stuck shipping a handgun 2nd day or overnight with UPS or Fedex. If you do sell the gun online the cheaper shipping will help get more money in your pocket.

I'd post it in the classifieds as well. You may get lucky and find someone local with cash.

In all honesty I wouldn't expect to get much more than $750 for it from a local sale. You may get lucky with an auction site and it may bid higher. Beware like eBay that you will also be charged a fee for your gun to sell on the auction site.
    CDS ARMS.com - 'LIKE' Us - MG Rentals - Colt Defense AR-15 & Glock Certified Armorer

(Centre County)

Correct, if you have to ship it, it willl have to go to a FFL in the buyers state.

Once you register with gunbroker you can do a search and see what other FN Five Seven's have sold for. That willgive you a good indication of what to expect.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Butler County)

My ex was anti gun until the divorce. They were considered joint property and of course she wanted half.

(Indiana County)

Different areas will produce different prices.

Considering I've seen them new in my area for $1000 and one place had a deal before Christmas for $965, I'm thinking the $750 range is where I'd be at if it was as new.

As for Gunbroker, I think you will be disappointed trying to sell it there if you are looking for that kind of money.

I checked the completed auctions and there are new ones selling for $905.

There was one used one that sold for $850 though.

Be aware that since you will be a new seller with no feedback, selling a high dollar item like that might be tough since some people will shy away from your ad.

Gunbroker takes a percentage, then you have to deal with shipping it, you also need to be sure the gun is legal to own in the buyers area/state.

I don't know how Conn gun laws work, but a local classified type board is probably your best bet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast