Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Public ranges near Hanover?

Hello, my buddies and I went to the show at the York Fair Grounds last Sunday. My one buddy picked up a S&W Sigma 9mm. Since we got there so late I and my other buddy plan on making our purchases in Harrisburg at the show in March.
    My question is, is there somewhere around Hanover that you can shoot for free? I used to work in Dover and I remember seeing a range HERE just outside of Dillsburg on Old York Road, but is there any where closer? We eventually are going to look into joining a club, but right now just want to find some where that is open to the public.

Thanks for the help.

(Adams County)

Default Re: Public ranges near Hanover?

I don't know of anything close to Hanover that's open to the public, but I will suggest you check out my club's website.
    The link is in my sig.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(York County)

+1 for acsha, great place and about a 30 min drive from the lower end of Hanover.

(Lancaster County)

The Indian Rock range would be your closest official public range, but it is closed. So, you have the SGL 242 range around 21 miles away and the range over in Michaux State Forest - around 30 miles. Be forewarned that you need a permit to shhot at the Michaux range and that the DCNR office is only open weekdays - I was told you can get a permit at Caledonia State Park when they are open, but was told that they are probably closed on weekends in the winter and I was unable to find anyone who could issue a permit when I was there on a Sunday in January.

(Adams County)

I'll give an endorsement to Adams County Sport Handgunners (mentioned by djturnz, www.acsha.com) as well. And from the sounds of it, you may be new handgun owners? I would suggest you consider the NRA Basic Pistol Training courses available at ACSHA this spring. Co-ed is April 12-13, Women-only is May 17-18. Contact information for the courses is adamshandgunners@hotmail.com

You can check out information about the courses on the club website (listed above). New schedule is not up yet (to reflect the dates listed above), and due to increased costs the course is now $35, but it's a great deal. You don't have to be a club member to take the course.

(York County)

I've got a number of friends that belong to Adams County Sport Handgunners. Good guys. If I lived out there and needed a place to shoot, that's where'd I'd be.
    West Shore Sportsmen's Association WSSA Home page

(Adams County)

acsha is cool place to shoot if you don't mind talking to yourself,i never see anyone there.