Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default New member from Larksville - a few questions too!!

Good evening all,

I just wanted to stop by and say thanks to the operator's of this forum, and to the members whose knowledge I have been soaking in for some time.

I recently made the decision to stop thinking it can't happen to me, and have decided to protect myself and my family by becoming a responsible firearms owner. As a first step, I have applied for and obtained my LTCF, since it was a quick and painless process.

Now, you can say, the real work begins. I've been studying PA Firearm law through forum posts and links to various agencies. I feel I'm starting to get a grasp at least, but the reading goes on. Is there a single resource or publication that can make this education easier?

I am itching to make a purchase, but since I have no prior experience, and not wanting to buy the wrong product, I'm keeping my wallet at bay until I can become more educated. I am thinking of signing up for the NRA FIRST STEPS Pistol Orientation at CTA Trainers in Drums. Anyone have any experience there? I'm hoping after that class I'll be informed enough to know what I want/need.

I also have small children in the house, so keeping everything locked up securely, but within easy reach, is a must. I was thinking of a biometric safe in the bedroom, but I'm open to suggestions. I don't want to go with a lock/key since I would need to keep the key near the safe in the event I needed it quickly.

I'm thinking about shopping for some range gear, hearing protection/eye protections and the like....that may hold me for a bit!!!

Anyway.....thanks for the time and hope to hang out here as often as I can!!

(Warren County)

Default Re: New member from Larksville - a few questions too!!

Welcome to the forum and the shooting world!
    It is a big responsibility,but it's a great way of life. Protecting the family is of course the primary job for parents, and firearms should be part of your toolkit.

A child is the only known substance from which a responsible adult can be made.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE