Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default .40 Springfield XDM vs. H&K USP .40

I've been researching .40 handguns to add to my safe and have zeroed in on two that "fit" my hand very well. Before going much further in my research I wanted to see what feedback owners of these guns have on them. I'm specifically looking at the Springfield XDM and H&K USP at this point. I'm not overly concerned with the difference in prices, just want to take a look at the overall performance of each weapon at this point. If anyone has feedback on either or both I'd certainly appreciate hearing it.

If others want to offer alternatives I'd welcome that as well. Note, I have no interest in a Glock (just doesn't fit my hand), and already have experience with the SR40.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: .40 Springfield XDM vs. H&K USP .40

Looks like this thread isn't going to come to life! Any feedback on either firearm would be appreciated. I've read a lot of online posts from a couple years ago complaining of feeding issues on the XDM, but nothing more recent than early 2011.

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Hi.

XDM for faster rate of fire compared to H&K USP, greater capacity by far and XDM compact has a much smaller profile and more interchangeability. XDM for price, if both are new.

I like the H&K P2000, the P30, and of course the P7 - quite possibly the greatest single stack 9mm ever made.

The USP is a pass for me as it lacks the capacity or ergonomics of H&Ks other offerings both in hand and in action.

Buy the XDM

EDIT: But good luck either way!
    Last edited by RHGregory3; July 30th, 2012 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Added text
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(Lycoming County)

I would recommend an XD or XDM but the (m) is a little more expensive, just a $100 more than the original XD. I own a XDM in .45 and I love it. I wouldn't recommend Glocks because they jam easily. It happened to me at a shooting range when I rented it. I just hate Glocks tho, no offense.

I'll bet you'll be happier with a XDM over a HK or a Glock but it depends on your preference

I have owned an H&K USP 40 for about 17 years and I like it a lot. It fits my large hand well which the other H&K's do not. I thought about getting a P30L but the lower part of the grip with the finger grooves is too small for me.

I wanted to try something new and about 10 days ago I bought the SA XDM Competition 40 with the adjustable rear sight and the 5.25" barrel. I have had it out to the range twice and have almost 600 rounds down the pipe. It is accurate and feels good in my hand.

I think I would have to recommend the XDM but the USP is no slouch. I do not believe I have had a failure to feed or fire ever in the USP and in 600 rounds have only had one in the XDM but it was the cartridge not the pistol. The round did not fire but had a full deep hit to the primer so no fault of the pistol.

The XDM Competition has more rounds in the magazine and is probably more accurate. It is less expensive and has more magazines and accessories that come with it.

(Monroe County)

I would highly recommend the USP with LEM trigger.

(Lawrence County)

The USP feels bulky in comparison to the XDm to me.

LycanXDmthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Here are a few pictures comparing the USP 40 with the XDM 40 Competition model which has a longer barrel than the standard XDM. I had the standard XDM 40 a while back and ended up selling it, but this new comp model impresses me quite a bit more. It is kind of a tough choice but with the comp model as a possibility I would go with it over the USP. If you are talking about the standard XDM I would go with the USP.

I added a couple of pictures from the last two range trips I made with the XDM Comp. Shots are at about 30 feet standing fairly rapid fire.

Last edited by vjb.knife; July 31st, 2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added range pictures

The M&P Pro Series or an FNX are out of the question as well?

I have a USP Tatical in 40. It hangs out in my safe. It's a good handgun, but there are better ones out there. It doesn't really have any place for my left thumb to go on the frame when I hold it (thumbs forward). The XDM feels good, but when fired, it feels too tall (high center line of the bore). I think you are really limiting yourself by ruling out the Glock, but if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    The M&P Pro Series or an FNX are out of the question as well?

I have a USP Tatical in 40. It hangs out in my safe. It's a good handgun, but there are better ones out there. It doesn't really have any place for my left thumb to go on the frame when I hold it (thumbs forward). The XDM feels good, but when fired, it feels too tall (high center line of the bore). I think you are really limiting yourself by ruling out the Glock, but if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you.
    I wouldn't say I'm limiting myself by ruling out the Glock. I have fired Glocks in 9mm and .40 and find them to be very uncomfortable in my hand. I'm not a Glock hater or anything, they just don't work for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast