Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What would you do in this situation?

What do you do if someone in the car in front of you gets out and starts running at you while you are in you're car? This happened to me a while ago. I did a quick beep beep of my horn because he would not make right on red at 6am on a Sat. morning where it is legal to do so. I opened my door but did not get out has he approached I said "sir you dont want me to get out of my vehicle". He called me all kinds of names then got back into his car were I could see he had his young boy with him.
    [SIGPIC]

(Berks County)

Default Re: What would you do in this situation?

I think you did well by not getting into a verbal argument. Might I recommend for next time- keep the door and window shut and burn rubber? Let him get the last word, as long as you get the last action.

If that failed, I think I would wait till he was pounding on the door to allow him to do a visual inspection of how clean my barrel is. Of course, that would be a judgement call at the time.

(Fayette County)

Not-so-good-situation If the carry weapon is easily reached while sitting, then perhaps I would just stay put, trying not to escalate the situation. If I had a few seconds, I might relocate the weapon to a more accessible location. Of course, all of this with a valid LTCF. If neither of those are options, then I may do as you described. The scenario obviously changes if you have passengers or loved ones with you.

Above all... above all... I need to invest in a Dashcam!

Smile Re: What would you do in this situation?

Heres some fine advice,lock down car,STAND ON YOUR HORN,Bringing attention to yourself,I have seen this happen a lot and always so far has Deterred the Jerk ! Burn Rubber,some of the time its just not safe to do,Stand on that Horn !

(Bucks County)

If trapped in traffic, remember you are driving a 4000lb weapon. You can use it to push his vehicle out of your path if he is threatening you, and a good attorney can get him to pay the damages. Secondly, if that won't work. Dial 911, tell them you are the victim of a road rager, start yelling," Step away from my vehicle , i (if you do) have my family here and I fear for their safety, Get away, don't force me to shoot you, PLEASE don't make me shoot you". Make sure the 911 tape hears you warn the other guy away, and that the fear in your voice comes through loud and clear. It'll help later. If that doens't stop him, blow his face off so his mother has to put him in a closed coffin. It's her fault for raising a bully anyway!
    Most importantly, do not stop close enough to other cars in traffic that you cannot get around them. But if you do, remember, you can always push them out of the way, or pin the attacker between your car and his, gently or not so gently, your call.

(Cumberland County)

After a quick beep I usually just accept the fact that the person doesn't comprehend the whole "right turn on red" thing and that I'll spend the next 60 seconds of my life sitting at a red light.

I don't think I've ever had anyone get out of their car because I politely tapped the horn as a reminder.

If they did, I'd probably just drive around them (if it was safe to do) and leave. Not being there is always the best option. Barring that, my doors would be locked, windows up, and my .357 would suddenly appear on my dash in plain sight. Hopefully that would be enough to put and end to the situation. I tend to keep my mouth shut during encounters with idiots. No matter what's said, all my talking will do is escalate the situation. Saying nothing often gets their attention as it's not the response they expect.
    NRA Life Member, Mechanicsburg

(Delaware County)

Drive away if able to safely. If not able, lay on the horn after ensuring windows and doors are locked and secured. Take note of his license plate. Remain IN the car!!!

If he is unarmed or only armed with something like a bat or crowbar do nothing, even if he pounds on your car, causes damage, etc.

If he presents a firearm or proceeds to gain entry into the vehicle, smash a window, reach in, etc. put several rounds into center mass as needed.

Cars can be replaced, damage can be fixed. Stay calm and in the car, unless it is no longer safe to or the threat attempts to breach it with a weapon or their body. IMHO, it's time to put the threat down

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by das View Post
    I did a quick beep beep of my horn because he would not make right on red at 6am on a Sat. morning where it is legal to do so.
    I never ever beep at somebody that doesn't turn right on red or left on red from one way to one way. The law says you "may" turn on red after a stop. You are not compelled to do so.

All good advice. Thank you all. das
    [SIGPIC]

(Philadelphia County)

That's why I am saving up for this....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast