Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Mounting a Nikon 3-9x40 on a CZ452 LUX

I decided to take the plunge and purchase a scope for my CZ 452 LUX. I chose the Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 in Matte Black with the Nikoplex crosshairs based on the price (approx $140), online reviews (universally compared favorably with the Leupold VX-I), and my personal comparison of the Nikon and the Leupold at the store. IMN(ovice)O, the Nikon was brighter and clearer than the Leupold, too. This rifle is used exclusively at the indoor range, but I'd like to take it to a longer range to let it stretch its legs at some point. I don't hunt, and can't foresee anything short of a SHTF scenario when it would be taken into the brush.

Two quick questions:

1) What rings should I use? My concerns are the bolt (the 452 is bolt action) and the rear iron sight (see picture linked at top of post). The rifle itself has a European (11mm measured at the base) dovetail mounting rail on the top. I bought Millett Medium 1" rings. While they fit the rifle just fine, there isn't enough clearance for the iron sights, even if I adjust how far up/back the scope the rings sit. I'd also like a touch more bolt clearance when the bolut is raised and drawn back. I'm not attached to the Millett brand, so if there is a more appropriate choice, I'm happy to consider it.

2) I have no experience doing this, but am happy to learn. Is mounting the scope best left to someone who knows what they're doing, or is this a "welcome to scope ownership" rite of passage? Pointers to information are appreciated! Assume I know nothing about rings, scopes, or mounting same, if it helps the explanation.

Some may wonder why I decided to buy such a comparatively large scope for a .22LR rifle. I opted to buy a scope that outranged the rifle on the basis that as my experience increases, I'll probably want to move the scope to a larger rifle. Then, I can buy a larger scope for the (hypothetical) new/larger rifle when my experience dictates, and move the Nikon back to the CZ. Also, I've been admonished to "buy once, cry once" when it comes to optics. Being cheap, as they say, is too expensive. I'd rather have a little too much capacity than not quite enough.

Oh, and once I get the scope mounted to the rifle, I'll take some pictures. Heck, who knows, maybe I'll even protect a meal with it (Hi 1blindref and LisaC!).

Default Re: Mounting a Nikon 3-9x40 on a CZ452 LUX

I want to do basically the same thing but I went with the Nicon BuckMaster 4.5x14x40.

What rings worked for you?

Were you able to leave the orignal sites intact?

Thanks.

Terry

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Mounting a Nikon 3-9x40 on a CZ452 LUX

Holy frickin zombie thread!