Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Guns Safes Not so Safe at all. Amust READ!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Yeah, they are talking about Stack-on safes. You might as well secure your gun in a tin can. Open it with a soda straw or paper clip, shit, I can open one with a #2 lead pencil and my teeth. They are , in a word, "JUNK". Get a real safe and show me how a kid can open it. Then I'll be impressed. This article was written by a sheeple and is aimed at sheeple.
    We had a break in and guns were stolen at our house. After that, I bought a safe. However, I did a lot of research and found MANY stories of top of the line safes being broken into given enough time. TIME is the key. I have heard of 1500 lb safes being rolled out of houses with nothing more than golf balls and broom handles.

One does need a good safe......but it does not stop there. On top of the safe, one needs to bolt it to the floor. On top of that, hiding the safe is best. And then......we have a security system with motion sensors watching the safe (and every floor of the house). If anyone moves within 10 feet of the safe, the alarm goes off and cops are called to the house. In addition to that, we have cameras recording 24/7 around the perimeter of the house. In addition to that, we have cell phone backup should the phone lines ever be cut. In addition to that we have a standby generator should the power ever go out.

I would no longer feel content having a safe w/o security & cameras after all I have read.

For anyone who says that "their" safe is unbreakable, read this. Very Sobering.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...highlight=safe

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    We had a break in and guns were stolen at our house. After that, I bought a safe. However, I did a lot of research and found MANY stories of top of the line safes being broken into given enough time. TIME is the key. I have heard of 1500 lb safes being rolled out of houses with nothing more than golf balls and broom handles.

One does need a good safe......but it does not stop there. On top of the safe, one needs to bolt it to the floor. On top of that, hiding the safe is best. And then......we have a security system with motion sensors watching the safe (and every floor of the house). If anyone moves within 10 feet of the safe, the alarm goes off and cops are called to the house. In addition to that, we have cameras recording 24/7 around the perimeter of the house. In addition to that, we have cell phone backup should the phone lines ever be cut. In addition to that we have a standby generator should the power ever go out.

I would no longer feel content having a safe w/o security & cameras after all I have read.

For anyone who says that "their" safe is unbreakable, read this. Very Sobering.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...highlight=safe
    It's definitely wise to employ layered security. Safes buy time, but if a burglar has all afternoon he'll get in anyway.

But a safe that opens when a kid gives it a shove...that's just disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    It's definitely wise to employ layered security. Safes buy time, but if a burglar has all afternoon he'll get in anyway.
    There are many here who believe their $2000 safe is all they need. If they are gone for an 8 hour stretch, that is forever for someone skilled in breaking into safes. Layered security is needed.....I could not imagine leaving a safe in my house with no security system.

People have a false sense of security when it comes to safes IMO.

I take a different view on bolting safes down..If it weighs north of 400 lbs it won't be carried off by the run of the mill crackhead..But the biggest reason is try prying open the door when it is scooting all over the floor..Mine will stay unbolted..

I say it like the gun analogy... It's better to have something than nothing at all...
    ΑΣΦ

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by moe1942 View Post
    I take a different view on bolting safes down..If it weighs north of 400 lbs it won't be carried off by the run of the mill crackhead..But the biggest reason is try prying open the door when it is scooting all over the floor..Mine will stay unbolted..
    If you have seen any of the safe prying videos, the key is getting the safe on it's back so they can get the necessary leverage. If it is bolted down this becomes more difficult.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by moe1942 View Post
    Sorry.. but if it weighs 400 lbs it's a cabinet. My cheapo is 790 empty.. more around 1200-1500 now I moved it into place, through the garage, in less than 15 minutes with 6 pieces of 3ft long, 2" pvc pipe.

While researching a gun safe I read an blog by a retired detective. He said 600+ lbs, bolt it down, stay away from chain store safes. He said for $1200 and less his recommendation was the Tractor Supply Cannon Safes as the cheapest safe he could recommend.

He stated that most break ins are by druggies or teens looking for fast money. If you can defeat then for 8 or more minutes, chances are extremely high they will quit and leave. Most case a neighborhood, then a get away driver drops them off, then smash and grab and run. Time is THEIR enemy!!

Most chain store safes (Dicks, Walmart, Cosco etc) that are not bolted down can be opened in a few minutes with basic tools. https://youtu.be/ktZyAQ6GK6c

Good safes = Liberty, Ft Knox, Steelwater etc.. but not everyone can lay down $2500+ for a first safe.

If someone REALLY wants into your safe, they will get in there.. I don't have stuff worthy of a pro.. I just wanted to keep the visiting kids, passing meth heads out..
    Last edited by Parrisk; September 13th, 2018 at 04:09 PM.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Chester County)

When I need to know about locks and their quality I go to this man on You Tube, Lock Picking Lawyer.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9...8W8JigLoZOh6FQ

There are locks out there that make it very difficult if not impossible for all but a tiny minority of highly skilled lock picks to unlock.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    If you have seen any of the safe prying videos, the key is getting the safe on it's back so they can get the necessary leverage. If it is bolted down this becomes more difficult.
    Correct.
    Any safe needs to be bolted down or built into an enclosure.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Lancaster County)

First off, stop calling gun safes, "safes" they are not. Most if not all of the gun safes can be accessed very quickly with an angle grinder with a side attack.

If you want a safe, get a TL15/TL30 rated safe. Cry a lot, but cry once.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast