Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Bersa Thunder slide/trigger issues

Okay, I went to the range today and was shooting my Bersa Thunder 380 and as I did a few drills I realized something was wrong with the trigger. When I would chamber a new round and flip it from safe to fire occasionally the trigger wouldn't work double action it would pull back and make a click but the hammer would stay in place. I took the gun apart and cleaned it up best i could and put it back together again and tried dry-firing. I found it would work double action about 9 out of 10 times but the time it wouldn't work was the first time... which is a problem if you're using it to defend yourself where the first shot would be double action and each subsequent shot would be single action!

I found if I have an empty mag with the chamber empty and I flip the safety from on to off to rack the slide the slide would stick and I'd have to pull it back 2-3 times before it would move all the way. It felt like the slide was catching on something which was making it hard to pull. When I got it home I did a more thorough cleaning and the slide is a bit easier now.

I only ran about 100 rounds through it so far (I'm minimum wage, can't go shooting often enough) and it's probably not completely broken in yet but you'd think this problem would have been apparent when I first shot it right?

I suspect that something is stopping the trigger from completely travelling forward but I can't take the gun apart any further than the basic field strip shown in the manual...

I'm probably going to have to send it to one of bersa's smithing locations...

Anyone else have a similar problem or ideas of what it might be. . .
    Last edited by J_RyanM1911; July 31st, 2012 at 01:53 PM.
    For a good time call 555-328-5323

Smile Re: Bersa Thunder slide/trigger issues

Sorry to hear this problem,I have several Bersa 380 never an issue,What I do recommend is get in touch with a Bersa Authorized G/S,Hope it works out,I would not get rid of it as they are dependable guns,good luck.

Default Re: Bersa Thunder slide/trigger issues

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Sorry to hear this problem,I have several Bersa 380 never an issue,What I do recommend is get in touch with a Bersa Authorized G/S,Hope it works out,I would not get rid of it as they are dependable guns,good luck.
    Yep...sounds weird. It's one of those "needs to be hands on to make a call" calls.

My wife had two Bersa .380s back in the day (back in the half day, actually) and the only problems we had with them were when they were new; they wouldn't cycle, even with a wrist after Madusa stared at us for a couple of hours. Finally cured via the file method. After that, you couldn't kill the things, but she later opted for a 9mm. I would actually have like to kept at least one of them, in retrospect.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(York County)

Try loosening the grip screws. I think if they are to tight it can mess with the trigger.

With it stripped and pointed away from you, on the right side is the trigger bar (I can't think of a better word). Make sure nothing has gotten under it and you can push it all the way flat. When it goes all the way in you can feel a snap.

I had some crud under mine and it did almost the samething. Bersa said to try cleaning it and to push the bar in. It now works great.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by algoesfast View Post
    Try loosening the grip screws. I think if they are to tight it can mess with the trigger.

*sigh* if only it were so easy...just loostened them to the point of wiggling but I think one of the springs isn't strong enough because the trigger just doesn't wanna go all the way forward. I can pull the slide back a million times with no problems and then as soon as I engage and disengage the safety it gets sticky for some reason. . . I already have a letter written for a gunsmith in Baton Rouge and my local gunsmith can ship it for me so as soon as I get the money for postage I'ma send it in. But I'm down a self-defense pistol in the meantime. . .

(Berks County)

nothing has gotten under it and you can push it all the way flat. When it goes all the way in you can feel a snap.

I had some crud under mine and it did almost the samething. Bersa said to try cleaning it and to push the bar in. It now works great.[/QUOTE]

That's actually the reason I couldn't get the slide back on. lol I felt like an idiot but it's still having the safety on/off issue... it's strangely consistant...

(Bucks County)

Digging up an old thread here, mine's doing the same thing as described above.
    Looking at it, it looks almost like the hammer is allowed to fall just slightly too far when the gun is decocked, and the trigger won't engage it.
    Maybe someone has an idea?
    It's a shame. I loved the gun, now I'm not sure I can trust it anymore as a carry gun.

(Bucks County)

Digging up an old thread here, mine's doing the same thing as described above.
    Looking at it, it looks almost like the hammer is allowed to fall just slightly too far when the gun is decocked, and the trigger won't engage it.
    Maybe someone has an idea?
    It's a shame. I loved the gun, now I'm not sure I can trust it anymore as a carry gun.

(Monroe County)

AJ , call up BERSA on this , a couple of years ago they did have a trigger return spring problem that were causing this problem, BERSA knows about it.

Apparently they had gotten a bad batch of springs from the sub contractor that makes the springs, BERSA knows about this problem, let them know that you know.

It's the shiny return spring under the trigger they are weak and some of them completely broke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast