Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Need Help with PA pistol laws!!

Hi all,

I own a Glock model 17 that I purchased about 5 years ago in the state of Missouri (I was a resident there at that time). I have now resided in PA for over 3 years and wish to sell the gun to my brother-in-law who resides in Louisiana. I've never sold any of the guns I own and I've always purchased new so I have never really dealt with any situation like this. Can anyone enlighten me on the process? Sorry if this is a repost and thanks for all the help!!

Brad C.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Need Help with PA pistol laws!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradamus1 View Post
    Hi all,

I own a Glock model 17 that I purchased about 5 years ago in the state of Missouri (I was a resident there at that time). I have now resided in PA for over 3 years and wish to sell the gun to my brother-in-law who resides in Louisiana. I've never sold any of the guns I own and I've always purchased new so I have never really dealt with any situation like this. Can anyone enlighten me on the process? Sorry if this is a repost and thanks for all the help!!

Brad C.
    since you and your BIL live in different states the glock MUST be transfered through a FFL in LA. you or your BIL have to find a FFL in LA that will receive the glock from you and then transfer it to your BIL. prior to shipping the glock you'll need a copy of the receiving FFL's license. you can ship the pistol yourself via FEDEX or UPS or find a FFL in PA that will ship it for you. pretty simple process but the pistol has to be shipped overnight which gets expensive fast.

Easiest for you would be to use a PA dealer to ship the gun to an LA dealer, where your brother could then accept transfer.

Other option is for you to ship it directly to his dealer, but most carriers tend to be reluctant to accept a firearm for shipment from a non-dealer, and the USPS flat out won't do it.

I'd use a dealer in each state.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Centre County)

By federal law, you will just need to ship the gun to a FFL in LA so that it can be transferred to your BIL, as long as you know he's not prohibited from owning a firearm. It can be shipped several ways. If the FFL in LA will accept a shipment from a non-FFL, then you can ship it via UPS or FedEx, following their rules. This is not cheap. If the FFL in LA will NOT accept a shipment from a non-FFL, you will have to contact a FFL in PA to have the Glock shipped. Even doing it this way, it may be cheaper than you shipping via UPS as the PA FFL can ship it using the USPS which is much cheaper even with the FFL charges.

Here is a sticky, it's in the General Section, about shipping.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/568...ten-asked.html
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Thanks to all for the help. I found a few local FFL's online and I'm going to ship it through them. Are the rates pretty much the same or can you recommend one in the Pittsburgh area?

Thanks again!!

(Allegheny County)

If you are planning a trip to visit you can take the gun with you. Then you and your brother can go to the FFL in LA and do the transfer.
    The Lord Bless You

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bradamus1 View Post
    Thanks to all for the help. I found a few local FFL's online and I'm going to ship it through them. Are the rates pretty much the same or can you recommend one in the Pittsburgh area?

Thanks again!!
    If you haven't added this one to your list I highly recommend him.

http://www.firearmtransfers.net/

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
    If you are planning a trip to visit you can take the gun with you. Then you and your brother can go to the FFL in LA and do the transfer.
    Correct me if I'm wrong... I believe this is against Federal law. I've always thought you need to FFL to FFL for interstate transfers. Since each one reside in different states,then it should be FFL to FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by filgun11 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong... I believe this is against Federal law. I've always thought you need to FFL to FFL for interstate transfers. Since each one reside in different states,then it should be FFL to FFL.
    The recipient has to receive it from an FFL, where the parties reside in different states. An FFL can RECEIVE directly from anyone.

The problem here would be compliance with all the intervening state laws on firearm possession and transport. The 1986 FOPA created preemption, if you jump through all the hoops, but some states pretend that doesn't exist, so it's not a guarantee that as you pass through a state with a gun in your car that you won't be hassled, arrested, even convicted, as happens in New Jersey and New York with some frequency.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.