Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Need to know facts regarding LTCF in PA, please help.

Greetings everyone.

I have a serious question that I need an answer to.

I need to know (completely in detail and full list if possible) what can deny a Philadelphia resident for a LTCF. Note: I have never been arrested, I have never been to court, I have never even had a traffic or parking ticket. I have no unpaid fines, I have never been commited to a mental hopsital (willingly or or unwillingly) absolutely nothing of that sense. I served in the Marine Corps for 4 years and was discharged honorably.

There is one thing that I'm afraid that could deny me for a LTCF (and this is where I need someone to tell me if this could deny me for LTCF)
    A year ago I believe, maybe more or less, I went into a drug rehab (willingly on own my accord). Will/can this deny me for LTCF?

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Need to know facts regarding LTCF in PA, please help.

You went to a physician for a medical problem. Under HIPAA, that's none of their business. Don't ask, don't tell applies.

(Franklin County)

Here are the lawful reasons that one can be denied a LTCF. This applies statewide, including Philly.
    (e) Issuance of license.--

(1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:

(i) An individual whose character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety.

(ii) An individual who has been convicted of an offense under the act of April 14, 1972 (P.L. 233, No. 64), known as The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act. [FN1]

(iii) An individual convicted of a crime enumerated in section 6105.

(iv) An individual who, within the past ten years, has been adjudicated delinquent for a crime enumerated in section 6105 or for an offense under The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act.

(v) An individual who is not of sound mind or who has ever been committed to a mental institution.

(vi) An individual who is addicted to or is an unlawful user of marijuana or a stimulant, depressant or narcotic drug.

(vii) An individual who is a habitual drunkard.

(viii) An individual who is charged with or has been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year except as provided for in section 6123 (relating to waiver of disability or pardons).

(ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).

(x) An alien who is illegally in the United States.

(xi) An individual who has been discharged from the armed forces of the United States under dishonorable conditions.

(xii) An individual who is a fugitive from justice. This subparagraph does not apply to an individual whose fugitive status is based upon nonmoving or moving summary offense under Title 75 (relating to vehicles).

(xiii) An individual who is otherwise prohibited from possessing, using, manufacturing, controlling, purchasing, selling or transferring a firearm as provided by section 6105.

(xiv) An individual who is prohibited from possessing or acquiring a firearm under the statutes of the United States.

(Philadelphia County)

Thank you, sir.

I didn't know if that could deny me for my LTCF. As of now? I am not a habitual drunkard (never was) nor addicted to any narcotics or depressant & whatnot.

(Philadelphia County)

Thank you, sir.

But the form to apply for a permit states "I
    authorize the sheriff, or his designee, or, in the case of first class cities, the chief or head of the police department, or his designee, to inspect only those
    records or documents relevant to information required for this application."

So regarding the question "Are you a user of or addicted to narcotics etc" Can they search my records? Since I was in a rehab and that question has to do with such?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jrdn0331 View Post
    Thank you, sir.

But the form to apply for a permit states "I
    authorize the sheriff, or his designee, or, in the case of first class cities, the chief or head of the police department, or his designee, to inspect only those
    records or documents relevant to information required for this application."

So regarding the question "Are you a user of or addicted to narcotics etc" Can they search my records? Since I was in a rehab and that question has to do with such?
    Even if they can, if you are no longer a user or addicted to such drugs, then its bearing has very little impact.

Did the rehab clinic give you any documentation to a successful completion? If they deny you on the drug thing, and if you are truly clean, any documentation would help you out.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

Yes, I have documentation regarding such.