Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default 223 Mid range rifle

I found this on Gunbroker and thought it was interesting. And would like some feedback on this rifle. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=297993542
    I dont know much about the whole precision rifle thing but thought it might be cool to own something bolt action in the same caliber as my AR's. I also think this model has a certain "cool" factor in it and like the OD on it. Is this a decent rifle? how is the VTR series? If I was to purchase it would mainly be used just for punching some holes in paper. And maybe some Varmint hunting. Is the VTR series compatable with other 700 aftermarket parts?
    Last edited by 17nut; July 24th, 2012 at 11:31 PM.

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: 223 Long range rifle

BTW by long range I mean 200-300 yards

(Bucks County)

What ammo do you shoot in your ARs? If you shoot 5.56 then you need to research the bolt gun you consider to see if it's chambered for 5.56 or .223. Most are advertised as .223. If so then check the manufacturer for recommendations on shooting 5.56 ammo.

(Westmoreland County)

I have a Remington 700adl in 223 that will shoot under an inch with quality loads at 100 yards, and within a snug can at 200. The VTR is the same except the triangle barel and nicer stock. Good enough to take out a coyote, groundhog or deer, ask me how I know.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by tabasco_joe View Post
    What ammo do you shoot in your ARs? If you shoot 5.56 then you need to research the bolt gun you consider to see if it's chambered for 5.56 or .223. Most are advertised as .223. If so then check the manufacturer for recommendations on shooting 5.56 ammo.
    Thats a good point. I shoot 223.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by 340M&P View Post
    I have a Remington 700adl in 223 that will shoot under an inch with quality loads at 100 yards, and within a snug can at 200. The VTR is the same except the triangle barel and nicer stock. Good enough to take out a coyote, groundhog or deer, ask me how I know.
    Does the triangle barrel have any affect on performance?

I was going to ask what long range meant to you, since it's 223 and you will have limited distance with that caliber.

Most wouldn't consider 300 yards long range...that's more like short range.

I didn't look at the specs on the rifle you where considering, but if it was me, I'd get a 1:7, 1:8, or 1:9 twist barrel, so I could shoot heavier bullets. Most people pick faster twist barrels to take advantage of being able to load longer projectiles in a bolt action rifle.

I personally find the triangle barrel to be a marketing gimmic. No other rifle company is offering it, so do you think it really has such advantages for an entry level/price point rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    BTW by long range I mean 200-300 yards

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I was going to ask what long range meant to you, since it's 223 and you will have limited distance with that caliber.

Most wouldn't consider 300 yards long range...that's more like short range.

I didn't look at the specs on the rifle you where considering, but if it was me, I'd get a 1:7, 1:8, or 1:9 twist barrel, so I could shoot heavier bullets. Most people pick faster twist barrels to take advantage of being able to load longer projectiles in a bolt action rifle.

I personally find the triangle barrel to be a marketing gimmic. No other rifle company is offering it, so do you think it really has such advantages for an entry level/price point rifle?
    Yeah I guess to some on here that is short range. Im just kicking some tires at this point trying to get some info. Like I said before I like the idea of having a scoped bolt action rifle that shoots the same round as my ar's. Also like the fact that 223 is easy on the shoulder that my kids can enjoy it as well. If I was to get something like this it would for the most part remain stock except for a bi pod and scope. As far as the triangle barrel I see your point. I never heard of it before

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    I found this on Gunbroker and thought it was interesting. And would like some feedback on this rifle. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=297993542
    I dont know much about the whole precision rifle thing but thought it might be cool to own something bolt action in the same caliber as my AR's. I also think this model has a certain "cool" factor in it and like the OD on it. Is this a decent rifle? how is the VTR series? If I was to purchase it would mainly be used just for punching some holes in paper. And maybe some Varmint hunting. Is the VTR series compatable with other 700 aftermarket parts?
    It's not a bad rifle, although I wouldn't really necessarily call it a "long range" or "precision" rifle. I mean most people these days refer to decent bolt action rifles as precision rifles, and if that's your definition of one, then it does fit that description. It's nothing special, but it's definitely not a piece of junk either. It is a bolt action rifle that is chambered in the same cartridge as your AR. I wouldn't really buy a rifle based on how "cool" it looks, but if OD green does it for you, it's definitely OD green. They also make a "Desert Recon" model that the stock is a desert digital style color. http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ert-recon.aspx . Because it is a true Remington 700, it'll be compatible with all the aftermarket support that goes along with a Remington 700.

The rifle does have a 1:9 twist in the .223 caliber. Personally, I think that the barrel thing is somewhat of a "sales gimmick". I like to think of it as "half @$$ fluting". It is a heavier barrel than what you'd see on a "sporter" contour barrel. Since the barrel basically has some scallops down 3 sides of the barrel, it's removed that material, and cut down on the weight. So you end up with a barrel that is more rigid than a sporter contour barrel, and it obviously weighs less than a .820" diameter barrel that was round. All in all, I think it's just an easy way for them to shave weight, have something that looks different or "cool" (to some people), and that they can use as a marketing pitch. Honestly, from all the reports that I've seen, they don't necessarily shoot any better or worse than a round barrel. It is worth noting that the muzzle brake IS built into that barrel. So you may or may not like that. Personally, I don't think that it's necessary for a muzzle brake to be on most conventional calibers of rifles, much less a .223, but lots of people do like them. I think they make the rifles much louder than they need to be. Either way, it's worth mentioning and something to be aware of.

I figured I'd mention a few other things that haven't been brought up yet. The finish on the rifle is what some would consider "lower tier" for a Remington 700. Remington calls it their "matte blued" finish, but it's probably not like what you're think of as conventional "bluing". It's sort of like a parkerized finish if I remember correctly. It's been a while since I've held a VTR, but I think the finish was a lot more like what you'd see if you've ever seen or held a Remington 700 SPS, or a Remington 870 Express; that sort of finish. Some people don't feel it's quite as rust resistant as true bluing. You have to keep in mind that even on bluing, it's not all created equal amongst different manufacturers, years, and tiers from the same manufacturer. So that's something to mention, and it may or may not be something you like. In my opinion, the stock is pretty "meh". It's basically like the SPS Predator style stock, but it has the soft Hogue overmolding some areas, so they compare it to the XCR model. Personally, I feel like the stock is one of the weak points of the system, since it's basically a plastic, with no bedding, etc. In some of the other models, when on a bipod, there's the possibility of slight flexing, and the barrel touching the stock. I'm not sure that this would happen even with a round barrel, but with the extra distance from the barrel because of the triangular barrel, it's probably not going to flex enough to touch the barrel on VTR model. Even if it did, you could always fix that quite easily with a dowel rod and a little sandpaper, but I don't think it'll be an issue. The stock just feels a bit "cheaper" than some of the higher end models with more expensive stocks, but then again, you get what you pay for.

You may be having second thoughts about this rifle now that you've heard me say so much about it. I'm not trying to tell you that this rifle is a piece of junk, because if that's what I was trying to say, I'd just flat out say it. What I am telling you is that this is "lower tier" in the Remington family compared to some of the other models. This rifle is made to appeal to the crowd that wants a heavier barrel or "tacticool" style rifle, but wants to do it on a budget. That doesn't mean that the rifle won't shoot well, or that it's garbage; I assure you that it's not. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't expect it to be the quality of the higher end Remington rifles that will have nicer finishes, and the ones that have Bell & Carlson or HS Precision stocks. You do end up with a solid Remington 700 rifle that is compatible with all the aftermarket bliss that comes with a Remington 700. I don't know what prices you were seeing, but lots of people would tell you to look at something like an SPS Tactical as well, which you'd end up with the same type of stock and may want to replace. You may also want to look at the LTR, or the 5R, but those are stepping up in price because they already have a good stock on them, and a better finish.

For the distances that you're talking about, it'll definitely do fine to punch holes in paper, and some varmints. Like most things, the shooter will probably be more of a limitation than the rifle will be. It's definitely a 1 MOA rifle or less with ammunition that it likes. Honestly, lots of people will tell you that you could get a nice or better Savage 10 for the same money or cheaper, and they'd be correct. I like Savage rifles, but don't feel the actions are as smooth, and while they're gaining in the aftermarket support area, they still don't quite have as many parts as Remington 700's. It's important to remember that most people never get even a fraction of the accessories available for Remington 700's, and you can probably find the parts that you'd want for a Savage. We've hashed over Remington vs. Savage lots of times in the forum, and a search will help you. If you can't find the threads, we'll be happy to list up some links. All in all, it's a decent rifle, especially if you can get one for a really good price. If you're spending a lot of money on it, I'd definitely consider other models, or even other manufacturers; keep in mind this is coming from a Remington fan. Oh and if you're interested in Mel's evaluation of the rifle, it's pretty similar to my opinion. http://www.snipercentral.com/vtr.htm . I hope this helps give you more input, and please feel free to ask any more questions that you might have.

(Venango County)

Default Re: 223 Mid range rifle

A good friend of mine had one in .308, he liked it. But eventually went on to bigger and better.

I've been looking for a good .223 bolt gun for a while to build into a 500yard toy. And that being said, I think that rifle, for paper, and practice would work fine.

You aren't likely to be getting .25 groups at 100yards, which is fine. As for the barrel, I don't think it really hurts, or helps anything.

If you want to get into competition shooting, I would say to look into something different. If it is to see who can hit the pop can, clay pigeon, or paper at 200-300 yards, go for it, or something like it.

A very capable rifle, but admittedly, not the first on my list.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast