Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Again the most effective 9mm ammo for home defense

So confusing. about to get a 9mm for home defense and do not know which ammo is best suited for this situation. 124+, 147HP, a soft point of some kind?
    Stopping power is what is required and what shoots reliably, but which type goes in 16" and has the widest wound channel? I hear some HP do not even open up. Would like to just get www 147gr hp but hear it is no more effective than a fmj. So what is the real deal? Thanks for your help guys, Bud

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Again the most effective 9mm ammo for home defense

Shotgun with buckshot would be most effective at close range at home. I wouldn't even consider 9mm unless that was the only gun I had.

To answer your question:
    Any of the big name hollow points should do the trick (Gold dot, Hydrashock, Golden Saber, etc). I prefer the heavier bullets, but 124 grain +P is good too.

I don't think ANY hollow points will open up under all conditions like shooting through heavy denim or leather or winter coats or drywall then bad guy, that's why so many prefer the good ol .45 because no matter what, you still get a .45 sized hole.
    Last edited by 625; February 28th, 2008 at 02:22 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by arbud View Post
    So confusing. about to get a 9mm for home defense and do not know which ammo is best suited for this situation. 124+, 147HP, a soft point of some kind?
    Stopping power is what is required and what shoots reliably, but which type goes in 16" and has the widest wound channel? I hear some HP do not even open up. Would like to just get www 147gr hp but hear it is no more effective than a fmj. So what is the real deal? Thanks for your help guys, Bud
    well first let me say i'd never use a 9mm for self defense, and i'm not just picking on 9mm here but NO service caliber is going to drop the BG the way you need it to unless its a perfect CNS shot which most likely isn't gonna happen. If you are convinced on a 9mm go with the 147gr HP, you'll get more penetration and for a 9mm the expansion is critical, get some gold dots or winchester sxt rangers. Now 9mm for carry I see no problems with, I would also carry the 147gr then.

My handguns come home, and go in the safe. I only use shotguns for home defense, I like the saying that the handguns are made for fighting your way to the long guns.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by arbud View Post
    Again the most effective 9mm ammo for home defense
    12 gauge ammo should do.

Too many factors to consider without knowing more info.

Type of dwelling?
    neighbor situation?
    family, kids?
    type of walls exterior and interior?
    urban, rural?

IMO best generic answer 12 or 20 gauge with 18 1/2 barrel.
    If your bent on the 9mm and will be used for HD I'd go with a full size such as a G17 147g Golden Sabers.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Fulton County)

im currently carrying
    Federal Premium law enforcement ammo: 9mm bonded 124gr HP(LE9T1)

I switched from Winchester Ranger Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)

Here is what the GOV just ordered

9 x 19 mm CALIBER AMMUNITION CONTRACTS

CONTRACT NUMBER J-FBI-08-104

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has just awarded contracts for 9 x 19 mm caliber ammunition to Olin Winchester. The ammunition on this contract includes the following items:

SERVICE: Q4364 – 147 grain, encapsulated, bonded hollow point bullet, and a standard primer.

TRAINING: Q4362 – 124 grain, encapsulated full metal jacket. This round uses a fully encapsulated (no exposed lead) bullet with a lead core, and a standard primer.

TRAINING – REDUCED LEAD: Q4358 – 147 grain, encapsulated full metal jacket, lead free primer. This round uses a fully encapsulated (no exposed lead) bullet with a lead core, and a lead free primer. Based on the design of this round, there is no particulate, airborne lead upon firing, making this an ideal round for use in many training environments where a reduced lead signature is desired (such as indoor ranges).

FRANGIBLE – LEAD FREE: Q4346 – 90 grain, frangible, lead free primer. This round uses a lead free, frangible bullet and a lead free primer. This round is designed for use on steel targets, to reduce or eliminate “splash-back” from bullet fragments.

The following agencies are contractually authorized buyers:

Federal Bureau of Investigation

Drug Enforcement administration

United States Marshals Service

Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives

Bureau of Prisons

Department of Justice Office of the Inspector General

Department of State, Diplomatic Security Service

Internal Revenue Service, Criminal Investigation Division

Department of Energy

Other Federal agencies may order, if they obtain prior approval from the FBI.
    Last edited by fultonCoShooter; February 28th, 2008 at 11:39 AM.

Department of Energy?

(Fulton County)

Wink Re: Again the most effective 9mm ammo for home defense

Quote Originally Posted by sjl127 View Post
    Department of Energy?

Hell yeah man you got to protect the Nuclear power plants

Ever see a Colt 633HB (DOE model)?

http://www.securityarms.com/20010315...s/0900/990.htm

Bradford County & Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)

I still prefer at least a 40 Cal. That's just my personal preference, no big deal. As for actual ammo, there are many factor's in choosing. I prefer a commercial self defense round, usually of hollow point design, regardless of caliber. Hollow point's can sometimes clog up with leather or denim, thus affecting penetration and expansion. Type of firearm also plays a MAJOR role in the ammo you should be using.

Fact is, that some of the "lesser" sidearm's simply are NOT reliable with hollow point's. Proven, reliable sidearm's will generally feed ANY type ammo. Cheap gun's generally do not like to feed hollow point bullets, period!

Having a "lesser" sidearm, basically relegates you to the use of "hardball" ammo, which IMO is a poor choice for self/home defense. Many times a hardball will penetrate obstacles like heavy clothing, but will produce minimal kinetic energy to the target. That's why you see so many people shot with hardball's live...many times if it doesn't hit bone, it will penetrate right through with NO expansion, and simply punch a hole through the target. NO bone or vitals....NO GOOD! The exception might be the 45, because of the sectional density, and over all large surface area of the bullet.

So..Being as I prefer hollow point's, which may clog in heavy fabric, I Ideally want as heavy a bullet as possible, but one that is still moving as fast as possible. Speed x's mass ='s force or in this case, kinetic energy transferred directly to the target. So I want the best balance of speed and bullet weight for such duties.

A super fast, light bullet is not doing much good...not enough knockout punch. A big ole slow mover is also no good..usually not enough speed to penetrate or go along with the heavy weight, to provide that knockout blow. So in MY MIND, while the bullet may clog and not penetrate or fully expand, it is still delivering a knockout blow to incapacitate the subject, as opposed to passing right on through like hardball ammo is prone to do. There are MANY choices of good ammo available....just try some different ones out, and see which one's shoot best out of your gun.
    Last edited by BradfordCOHunter; February 29th, 2008 at 03:58 AM. Reason: spelling

(Lancaster County)

http://www.slcfsa.com/index.html
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1130&dateline=1165613  693Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast