Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Cool West York Sporting Goods

I noticed that a lot of the older threads about WYSG were negative, so I thought I would share my positive experience from today.

Stopped in at WYSG because I had nothing else to do today and it was on my way home (plus I had money burning a hole in my pocket). After figuring out where the actual gun-section of the store was located, I began looking around. Immediately the man and woman inside, Ken and Theresa, were helpful, and offered to let me look at/hold various firearms. Even after telling them I was looking for something on the cheaper end of the spectrum, they still let me take a look at some of the pricier Sigs and Colts.

I took a particular interest in a used Kel-Tec P3AT, and Ken offered to let me test-fire it in the range before purchasing it since it was a used gun. He even gave me the five rounds of 380 for free. I liked the feel of the gun and it functioned well, so I told him I'd take it.

The only hiccup was that they had to call the owner to come in to do the transfer, so I had to wait for a bit. When the owner arrived, he realized the Instant Check system was down, and asked if I minded waiting while he kept trying to call. I was in no hurry so agreed. They turned on the TV and let me browse Netflix, and a little bit later Theresa offered me a free box of .22 ammo and the rental Sig 1911-22 to go and waste some time on the range.

Eventually the system worked, and everything was smooth sailing after that. I was there for a little over an hour, which normally would have angered me, but they were very courteous, and offered me great customer service as well as conversation. They even threw in a free case for the Kel-Tec since it didn't come with one.

It looked as though they were expanding their inventory as well. Saw numerous Palmetto and Stag Arms AR-15s, mostly mil-spec from what I could tell, an FN Five-Seven (which I fiddled around with for a bit), and a few Colts and Sigs, among others. Their stock ran the gamut from low-end to high-end, but I didn't see any junky guns. Not a huge store, but an interesting variety, and the prices looked about right on everything, not too high and not too low.

Very pleased with my experience and I will return.

(York County)

Default Re: West York Sporting Goods

I have also bought a XD Subcompact 40 Gear package in a from them in January, they had a very competitive pricing of $450 plus Tax & Pics. They also threw in a couple of hours of range time.

(York County)

That's awesome to hear! Good I was just asking around if anyone else has anything good or bad to say about this place....I'm glad you posted thanks!

(York County)

I have read the sketchy reviews about West York here but I have always had a good experience there. Today I took a 22 rifle there I have been working on to test it out. When I was having some FTF issues and light strikes they gave me a variety of different ammo to see if that was the problem. That's right I said GAVE. Now I know 22 isn't all that expensive but they still didn't have to do that. I will keep going.

III% - Stand and be counted

(York County)

The wife and I just returned from West York. I wanted her to get some more practice with her PT22 before she got her LTCF. After shooting she wanted to check out some holsters. After looking at a bunch she really liked this holster/handbag/cell phone holder kind of leather thing. You can clip it on your belt, hold it like a clutch purse or carry it on a strap. They told her they have had it on the shelf for a while (it was new though) and she could have it. I tried to offer them something for it but they said they appreciate how much I come in and now bring my wife too. This is the second time they have gone above and beyond to thank me for my business. They have a customer for life.

(York County)

The following from Gunbroker FFL listing is the reason I choose not to spend money there. His business, his rules, his fees. I respect that. He can do what ever he wants.

Steve Dobson
    West York Sporting Goods
    1059 W Market St
    York, PA 17404
    Email: Click here to email me

Phone: 717-852-0742
    Cell Phone: 717-600-9443
    Hours: 11:00 am - 9:00 pm Daily

Long Gun Fee: $85.00
    Hand Gun Fee: $85.00
    NICS Fee: $5.00
    Lower your expectations to zero and you'll never be disappointed.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by tlnzz1 View Post
    The following from Gunbroker FFL listing is the reason I choose not to spend money there. His business, his rules, his fees. I respect that. He can do what ever he wants.

Steve Dobson
    West York Sporting Goods
    1059 W Market St
    York, PA 17404
    Email: Click here to email me

Phone: 717-852-0742
    Cell Phone: 717-600-9443
    Hours: 11:00 am - 9:00 pm Daily

Long Gun Fee: $85.00
    Hand Gun Fee: $85.00
    NICS Fee: $5.00
    I believe they actually stopped doing transfers altogether recently. I use Steve Ebersol, he's only 1/4 mile from me and very reasonable for transfers.

(York County)

I was there 3 times. Theresa is awesome, everyone else is not. I will not return.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by hss.strat View Post
    I was there 3 times. Theresa is awesome, everyone else is not. I will not return.
    Theresa is the only person I have ever dealt with. I saw Steve was there but never had any dealings with him.