Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Handgun transfer from PA to GA

I have looked through a couple of the forums and did some quick searches and can't seem to find what I am looking for. Appears to be a lot experience and knowledge in the forums so I am hoping someone can help.

I have a friend in PA that would like to give me a handgun of his (and maybe a long gun) and I want to make sure the transfer is done correctly. The federal law appears that I just need to have him pack it up and send it to one of my local FFL dealers where I can pick it up. However, I am unsure if there are any specific PA requirements for the transfer. Does he have to go through a PA FFL to make the transfer of the handgun?

Any help or direction would be great?

Thanks in advance,

Larry

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Handgun transfer from PA to GA

From http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922:

(a) It shall be unlawful—

(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to
    (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and
    (B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

Since I am not a lawyer, I am trying to make sense of the USC information posted. First, it appears to be United States Code and not specific to PA. So, I am still not sure what (if any) PA laws need to be followed for the transfer.

It also appears that based on what I read above and the ATF link posted in the classified section, that if the person in PA sent to the gun to a licensed FFL in GA, I would be covered. This would be a transfer to a license dealer and not directly from a private party.

Am I reading that correct?
    Last edited by GAClayShooter; July 23rd, 2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: spelling

(Jefferson County)

The only thing that is legally required is that your friend in PA ship/deliver it to a FFL in GA so that it can be transferred to you.

Since the gun is required to be transferred at a FFL in the recipient's home state due to federal law, no transfer is completed within PA - so no PA FFL is needed.

Legally he can ship it directly to the GA FFL. However, some FFL's require it be shipped from a FFL.

Also, common carriers(Fedex, UPS, etc) often require guns to be shipped overnight - which gets costly. If your friend uses a FFL to ship the gun to your FFL - the FFL can use USPS, which is much cheaper. Non-FFL's cannot ship handguns with the US Postal Service.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The only thing that is legally required is that your friend in PA ship/deliver it to a FFL in GA so that it can be transferred to you.

Since the gun is required to be transferred at a FFL in the recipient's home state due to federal law, no transfer is completed within PA - so no PA FFL is needed.

Legally he can ship it directly to the GA FFL. However, some FFL's require it be shipped from a FFL.

Also, common carriers(Fedex, UPS, etc) often require guns to be shipped overnight - which gets costly. If your friend uses a FFL to ship the gun to your FFL - the FFL can use USPS, which is much cheaper. Non-FFL's cannot ship handguns with the US Postal Service.
    Thank you for the response. This is what I believed but wanted to confirm as I haven't had anything shipped from PA and you never know how each state handles it.

Thanks again for the information.