Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default blew up my new sig226 mk25...yes I am a moron.

Ok, so first off let me get out of the way that I am an idiot. I used reloads whose history was suspect in my new pistol. I knew better, but I guess I was thinking that with over 25 years of shooting reloaded ammo under my belt with no issues it would not be a problem.

I shot ~50 rounds of American Eagle 9 mm without a problem, than 50 rounds of some of my recent reloads, and than started into a box of reloads that were a few years old and made by another family member. Got into the tenth round of this batch of reloaded ammo and got a face full of smoke and powder, and smoke was coming from the pistol. Culprit was a ruptured case that was stuck in the chamber.

Got the case out of the pistol, but than saw the extractor was sticking out...Packed up, went home, disassembled the pistol and the extractor and extractor pin pretty much fell out. If there is a spring I did not see it.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? Just order the parts and replace them? Or should I just go ahead and send it to Sig to fix ? I don't expect them to fix it under warranty obviously. I just want my pistol back in working order.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41877149@N02/7625493758/
    Last edited by glocke12; July 22nd, 2012 at 07:19 PM.

(Erie County)

Default Re: blew up my new sig226 mk25...yes I am a moron.

Bad link.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    Ok, so first off let me get out of the way that I am an idiot. I used reloads whose history was suspect in my new pistol. I knew better, but I guess I was thinking that with over 25 years of shooting reloaded ammo under my belt with no issues it would not be a problem.

I shot ~50 rounds of American Eagle 9 mm without a problem, than 50 rounds of some of my recent reloads, and than started into a box of reloads that were a few years old and made by another family member. Got into the tenth round of this batch of reloaded ammo and got a face full of smoke and powder, and smoke was coming from the pistol. Culprit was a ruptured case that was stuck in the chamber.

Got the case out of the pistol, but than saw the extractor was sticking out...Packed up, went home, disassembled the pistol and the extractor and extractor pin pretty much fell out. If there is a spring I did not see it.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? Just order the parts and replace them? Or should I just go ahead and send it to Sig to fix ? I don't expect them to fix it under warranty obviously. I just want my pistol back in working order.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4...93758/in/photostream

You never know. They might fix it. I would send it in anyway because you paid for a new gun. If you send it in you will at least get a "new" gun back. They will at least go through it and make sure there is nothing else that you may have missed.

Let Sig fix it. Better safe than sorry. Glad you didnt get injured. It will give you piece of mind knowing it is proper working order.
    [SIGPIC]

(Montgomery County)

I have a friend that did the same thing also with a Sig. He sent it back with an explanation letter and Sig still did not charge him for repairs.

I would send it back to them if nothing else for assurance that everything is in good working order.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

Quote Originally Posted by comsubin61 View Post
    I have a friend that did the same thing also with a Sig. He sent it back with an explanation letter and Sig still did not charge him for repairs.

I would send it back to them if nothing else for assurance that everything is in good working order.
    he told then he used reloads and they still did not charge them?

(Lancaster County)

Send it in, be honest about what happened and there is a chance they will cut you a break.

Oh, and glad you are ok

I concur with everyone, I am glad you are ok and I'd sent it to the professionals for repair and a safety check.

If I may ask the members of PAFOA who reload, how common are ruptured cases and what is the underlying cause?

(Northampton County)

I'm glad you're ok. I can imagine how bad you feel with a brand new, unusable SIG. As I am sure you know, though, it could have been much worse.

As others have said, I would send it back to SIG. The extractor needs to be fixed, but it is also possible that there was more damage than is readily apparent. I wouldn't chance problems down the road by changing the extractor myself.

how common are ruptured cases and what is the underlying cause?
    I don't reload regularly due to time constraints, but I do know how. Others may have a more technical explanation, but basically a case can rupture as a result of reloading from being reloaded too much. Part of the reloading process is resizing the case. The reshaping/resizing of a case adds wear to the case. Enough wear and the case will rupture. Just my .02 and it may not be worth that.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    I concur with everyone, I am glad you are ok and I'd sent it to the professionals for repair and a safety check.

If I may ask the members of PAFOA who reload, how common are ruptured cases and what is the underlying cause?
    Excessive reuse of the brass is one culprit. Overcharging the powder is another. Most common cause in handgun ammo appears to be a "double charge" of powder. It's not common but does happen.
    Molon Labe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast