Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Wicens

Default Wicens

I will be going there on wednesday. I will post my thoughts and experience. I am going to fire my AR-15 and AK-47 there for the first time and from what I am told they are pretty good to new shooters there.

On a side note, if anyone wants to meet up , feel free to post here and we can set it up.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Wicens

Make sure you set plenty of time aside to shoot. Last time I went there (and ever will go there) I was trying to sight my new Steyr rifle in. With the amount and length of ceasefires i got to shoot 14 rounds in an hour and 25 minutes.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yamo1231 View Post
    Make sure you set plenty of time aside to shoot. Last time I went there (and ever will go there) I was trying to sight my new Steyr rifle in. With the amount and length of ceasefires i got to shoot 14 rounds in an hour and 25 minutes.
    Um, Metz, care to join me in calling BS on this one?

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by gascolator View Post
    Um, Metz, care to join me in calling BS on this one?
    Depends on his rate of fire

Ok, Wicen's is definitely not for those, who's in hurry. Cease fire usually happen once every 30-40 minutes and rarely take more than 5 minutes, so OP can do his math. If he's looking for rather relaxed (and very safe) environment, no rush, bunch of nice people to hang out with, then he should check it out. But if he really has only half an hour during his lunch, then Wicen's might seem like a bad idea
    Je suis déplorable

(Delaware County)

Not overly exaggerated. It probably took me 2 hours to shoot 20 rounds with my 7mm. He could be cleaning after every round as some do on new rifles.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    Depends on his rate of fire

Ok, Wicen's is definitely not for those, who's in hurry. Cease fire usually happen once every 30-40 minutes and rarely take more than 5 minutes, so OP can do his math. If he's looking for rather relaxed (and very safe) environment, no rush, bunch of nice people to hang out with, then he should check it out. But if he really has only half an hour during his lunch, then Wicen's might seem like a bad idea
    On the other hand, if you drop in at opening time on a weekday you can just about have the place to yourself. Gets even better once they know and trust you.

(Bucks County)

As a new shooter to all things that shoot my first trip was to Wicen's to practice shooting a 30-30 rifle. They were very patient and friendly with us and took their time and went over all the gun safety rules. They are very serious when it comes to safety. As for the range pauses for reset and new shooter target resets it is about 30 minutes but it doesn't bother me. I know they need to pause it so people can get set up to shoot and I definitely applaud the careful rules in place they have to the reset, I never once felt endangered down range. The reset essentially takes as long as it takes to clear the range of people.

My wife is a bit of a patient shooter so I can see how it may feel that you don't get very many shots off before they pause everything sometimes she may only have shot like 3-5 rounds. Its tough really but they balance it well I feel and everyone is polite to us. I highly recommend Wicen's as one of my favorite rifle ranges (And hopefully one day a shotgun range once I get one)

(Bucks County)

I was there Sunday breaking in my new AR15. I cleaned after each round for first five rounds and after each five rounds after that. I shot 56 rounds in three hours.

I will be there this Saturday and Sunday dialing in my new Red Dot, providing UPS delivers it tomorrow.

Regards,

BCB

(Bucks County)

Great time today at Wicen's!

Shot the rifle made sure zero's in.

Then went over to the clays -

New Ruger O/U worked great!!! Enjoyed the Red label 12

My buddy, FNG19,, well he used a Saiga 12.. for the clays.. the clays seemed to fly away faster for him.. i think the clay birds were scared of the scary black shot gun.

Met a couple interesting people. Guy next to us was shooting with his wife (i think). He had some nice shottys. Nice to see a couple women shooting. Would very much like to get my wife out to the range.

I haven't been there since last year. Some new Range officer faces. I love how the place is run.

Next trip to Wicen's will be to sight in the AR.

All in all nice day. Shot well, met some people, and had fun!

Nice for those people to make the outdoor range so nice. Glad it is still around.

(Montgomery County)

Been to Wicens three times.

Pros:
    1. A place to shoot outdoors.
    2. Observed solid gun safety. Range folks kept a keen eye on all shooters.
    3. Old school shed where they conduct business.

Cons:
    1. You shoot under/with in a concrete structure. The shock waves and noise are deafening. Wear ear plugs and outer ears.
    2. When you shoot from under the concrete structure is feels like your round may strike the low hanging concrete. Yeah, I know why, but it is not fun.
    3. Location- (for me) To far and too much traffic.

Shooting at Wicens made my decision to join a private shooting club EASY.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast