Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Wicens

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Wicens

Quote Originally Posted by Darlington View Post
    Just my 2 cents on Wicens:
    - The concrete structure is set way too low, which is a problem if you are taller, as you will have to hunch down lower than what may feel natural to you. It may not seem like a problem on paper but if you're shooting .30 cal or larger, you'll want to get a tight hold, which hunching over may prevent you from doing properly.

- Some of the ROs walk around like they have a big pole up their rear. They can be overbearing and even condescending. Don't ask me who, I don't remember. This isn't an indictment of the owner by any means, but it's something to consider. They will not allow you to shoot a pistol with a barrel under 4" at the rifle range. Get this: They actually refused to let me shoot a pistol with a 3.9" barrel because it was below the limit. I suppose the 0.1" difference would put the public in danger??

- On the bright side, $20 isn't too bad if you already have a membership at an indoor range and want to occasionally shoot up to 100 yards
    I’ll second those three points. I’m a member of an indoor range and get to Wicen’s about 3 times a year to shoot clay and 100 yard rifle. I run about 6’5” and it’s even cumbersome to get under those concrete structures. And sometimes, especially when it’s not busy you can get an RSO that hovers and tries to interject himself too much into your day.

Will the extra $5 drive me away, probably not. It only boils down to an extra $15 a year for me and it’s a good public range and from my limited dealings with Joe, he seems like a decent guy. In this environment of anti-gun ownership, I’d like to support a place that’s open to the public, has training available for new shooters and can get me outside on a nice summer day.

(Delaware County)

Can I bring my 8 year old to teach her how to shoot?

Also, what the hell is this, Al?!

A CARRY PERMIT IS NECESSARY TO CARRY A FIREARM ON YOUR PERSON.
    HUH?!
    Junior

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    I'd be very hesitant to condemn a business
    I agree, and I hope that my posts didn't come off as if I was. I hope the many kind things I said about them and the establishment makes this clear: I like them and I'd love to keep going there, but for ME, usually paying for multiple shooters, it's not going to work any more, at least not the way it did before.

I think I'm lamenting more than anything…

BTW, I pay 175/year to shoot pistol indoors. No way I would pay anybody 20/hour to shoot, considering how often I go (at least 1/week). I think when your circumstances are such that you're shooting as frequently as I do, you're a little more sensitive to the increase. That's why I made the (hopefully helpful) suggestion that they consider a frequent visitor program. At the end of the day, I have no ill will at all, only regret that I won't be able to hang out there as often as I did before.

Regards,

BCB
    You don't need a gun until you need one badly.

(Bucks County)

Well this sure put a damper on my day. Had planned on heading there this weekend to shoot some clays but will probably hold off now. Could be a blessing in disguise though. I keep wanting to join a club and maybe this will finally push me into making it happen. Trouble is finding one that 'fits' and isn't too far away. Getting a sponsor for most of these places would be difficult for me since I don't know too many other people into shooting. I'm a neurology resident so my free time is extremely limited and I have far from a regular schedule, so going to required meetings / doing volunteer work would be next to impossible.

I think I've looked into everything in the area but does anyone have any specific suggestions? Also, I've never understood why Wicens didn't offer annual memberships.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BucksCountyBob View Post
    I agree, and I hope that my posts didn't come off as if I was. I hope the many kind things I said about them and the establishment makes this clear: I like them and I'd love to keep going there, but for ME, usually paying for multiple shooters, it's not going to work any more, at least not the way it did before.

I think I'm lamenting more than anything…

BTW, I pay 175/year to shoot pistol indoors. No way I would pay anybody 20/hour to shoot, considering how often I go (at least 1/week). I think when your circumstances are such that you're shooting as frequently as I do, you're a little more sensitive to the increase. That's why I made the (hopefully helpful) suggestion that they consider a frequent visitor program. At the end of the day, I have no ill will at all, only regret that I won't be able to hang out there as often as I did before.

Regards,

BCB
    BCB....no flame intended....I was just making a general statement, adding my thoughts for others to consider. to me 5 bucks isn't a big deal especially if the owners are good people. i think the worse thing people can do is to stop shooting at wicens which might help drive them out of business which is exactly what the anti's want.

i believe many of the indoor ranges charge 15-20 bucks an hour if you don't have a membership. i don't shoot as often as i'd like so paying 20 bucks a hour a few times a year is affordable. take care and shoot safe

(Delaware County)

I am confused....it's $20/day at Wicen's. Not per hour. Why do people keep saying per hour?
    Junior

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by G19 View Post
    I’ll second those three points. I’m a member of an indoor range and get to Wicen’s about 3 times a year to shoot clay and 100 yard rifle. I run about 6’5” and it’s even cumbersome to get under those concrete structures. And sometimes, especially when it’s not busy you can get an RSO that hovers and tries to interject himself too much into your day.

Will the extra $5 drive me away, probably not. It only boils down to an extra $15 a year for me and it’s a good public range and from my limited dealings with Joe, he seems like a decent guy. In this environment of anti-gun ownership, I’d like to support a place that’s open to the public, has training available for new shooters and can get me outside on a nice summer day.
    Yup, I've been there a few times. When it's busy, it's okay but if you're one of the few people there, it's like you're on a stage. The hovering is annoying too.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    I am confused....it's $20/day at Wicen's. Not per hour. Why do people keep saying per hour?
    OP said I believe that he goes often, but stays for an hour or two each time and he pays for himself and usually his Daughter.

(Pike County)

Just my 2 cents on Wicens:

- There's a rule prohibiting the use of cameras. If I want to video record my target or even use my camera as the range finder while I sight in my scope, I should be allowed to but unfortunately this range does not allow video recording.
    Sorry about that. But Joe is on the thin ice there due to community is changing to more liberal and there are quite few people, that will do everything they can to shut the range. He's simply afraid of setups. It's easy to snap a picture under a certain angle, so manipulations with firearms will look unsafe. Like gun, "pointed" at the person, who are standing few feet away in reality. Not even an RSO nor Joe himslef is allowed to use a camera there. All the promotional photos we have were taken in off-days and maticulously screened by severa people to make sure, nothing can be manipulated or misinterpreted there by liberals.

- The concrete structure is set way too low
    Agreed. But there is a reason for that. There was an incident several years ago, when some yahoos shot over the berm and bullets ended up in the house, god knows how far away. So to avoid any more potential lawsuits, Joe decided with the setup, where shooter can't even see the top of the berm from his position. Can't blame him for that.
    - Some of the ROs walk around like they have a big pole up their rear. They can be overbearing and even condescending. Don't ask me who, I don't remember.
    Please note their names next time and PM me. I will personally take care of their poles. We have rotation of RSO (healthy, though, don't forget, we are all volunteers), so some of the new guys might not act the way you like. And this is the case, when customer is right. The range has reputation of strict, but friendly RSOs and Joe does his best to maintain it. He let go quite few guys in the past due to their attitude. And won't hesitate to do it again and again if attitude adjustment won't work.

They will not allow you to shoot a pistol with a barrel under 4" at the rifle range. Get this: They actually refused to let me shoot a pistol with a 3.9" barrel because it was below the limit. I suppose the 0.1" difference would put the public in danger??
    Sorry, but it's a rule. Not just the barrel has to be over 4", but the sites have to be adjustable. No one can shoot shorter pistol there, not even Joe himself. The difference in length doesn't matter. One says that 3.9 is ok, then why not 3.5, then, for another guy? What's so fundamenally different between 3.9 and 3.5, right?

Bottom line, the use of handguns is prohibited on rifle range. But Joe made an exception for 4"+ barrels. it's all about accuracy and bullets go all over the place. it's the same, as traffic laws - they weren't made for an expert drivers (or expert marksmen in our case), but for an average driver. So the average drivers can drive reasonably safe from place to place... or have their 100 yds targets unmolested by someone else's bullets in our case.
    Je suis déplorable

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by BucksCountyBob View Post
    Maybe, but I think the bigger issue is the lack of a discount for people who frequent the range more often
    Great ideas. I'll definitely bring them up at the next RSO meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    a 5 dollar increase in price doesn't seem to bad to me and i'd be very hesitant to condemn a business for raising prices before i knew their business costs. property taxes could have gone up, insurance costs could have gone up, plus the owners have to make a living to keep a roof over their heads. 20 bucks to shoot all day doesn't sound bad when compared to the cost of indoors ranges were you pay 20 bucks a hour.
    That's what I'm thinking too. It was 15 for at least 5 or 6 years. The cost of living went up, the ammo price went up 50%+, the gun prices skyrocketed. Heck, the steak price doubled. 33% admission increase sucks, but I don't see it as something totally unreasonable.
    Je suis déplorable

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast