Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Wicens

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Wicens

i used to shoot at Wicens back in the day (prob 6-8 years ago and before) It was awesome!!! the older gentlemen super cool nice guys. it was never too crowded and every time we went there my friends and i thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. even though the rules were very minimal and lenient, it was still controlled and safe. To us it was better and easier than any gun club (even though it was over 45 min drive each way).

about 5-6 years i had to take a couple year break from shooting (due to bad economy), then finally geared back up and went back to Wicens a few years ago about 3-4 times and it seems that since the brothers have passed away and the neighbors have been trying to shut them down it has changed completely. i haven't been back since.

the biggest changes and draw backs for me were.....
    1. a little over bearing with rules and regulations since I have some NFA / Class III guns
    2. It’d be nice shoot more than just paper
    3. have more than 3 rds in a mag, and the occasional rapid fire or full auto / 3 rd bursts for when the guys bring out the registered sears or machine guns.
    4. Also it was very long and drawn out with a lot of breaks, plus really crowded compared to before.

maybe close to 10 years ago when i first started going we were just spoiled. i am now looking at a few gun clubs that are more local to the Quakertown area to see if any have more of what in looking for.

(Bucks County)

Branch Valley is a great place. I've never had to wait to shoot. They have indoor pistol/22LR to 25yds and outdoor 25, 50 and 100 yds, a seperate shot/trap & clay range and archery range...

http://branchvalleyfgfassoc.org/

(Bucks County)

Wicens is only a couple miles from my home so I shoot there frequently. Sure they have rules, but most ranges do. It's safe and is run by a good bunch of guys.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by BLOWRY1911 View Post
    [*]have more than 3 rds in a mag
    Sorry, but this is bullshit. Wicen's doesn't have any mag restrictions. Rapid fire - yes, it's prohibited, but as you stated, it's because of the township and stupid neighbors. Wicen's can remain only as recreational range, which means no "tactical" stuff, which means "no rapid fire" (in the township eyes). It's either that or no range at all.

As of the crowd, it's just that time of year - tons of hunters go there before the season starts to sight in their rifles.
    Je suis déplorable

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    Sorry, but this is bullshit. Wicen's doesn't have any mag restrictions. Rapid fire - yes, it's prohibited, but as you stated, it's because of the township and stupid neighbors. Wicen's can remain only as recreational range, which means no "tactical" stuff, which means "no rapid fire" (in the township eyes). It's either that or no range at all.

As of the crowd, it's just that time of year - tons of hunters go there before the season starts to sight in their rifles.
    correct. They have never told me there was a mag restrict rule, but i havent been there in many years and i know a few people who have NFA (class III) MP5's & MP5K's, and they said were asked to keep it to 3 to per mag with those. which in my opinion as long as your not rapid firing it, it shouldnt matter what kind of firearm it is.

its definitely still a good range for the area, especially when you look at other (non private) range options, not much out there anymore. i guess its just tuff going from how it used to be, to how it is now. and things like that never last in populated areas. You are right if they continued the way they did it, it would have been shut down long ago and this is definitely a much better option!

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by BLOWRY1911 View Post
    i know a few people who have NFA (class III) MP5's & MP5K's, and they said were asked to keep it to 3 to per mag with those.
    Ah, that. Sorry, you weren't that specific in the beginning and I was too eager to jump to conclusion

I hear you. It is irritating. But people do honest mistakes. Flip that switch from semi to full auto accidentally, and here you go. Joe could argue, that 3 round burst could came from 3 different guns, fired almost simultaniously. It's impossible to do that in case of mag dump. Which means the range will never open again.

Not to mention the "little" issue of aim control. 3 rounds can't do too much damage, but the full mag... check this instant classic:

Je suis déplorable

(Montgomery County)

How slow are some of you shooting?!?!?! I have been to Wicen's many times and a very good friend of mine was a RSO there so I might be a little bias! They call a red flag (cease fire) on the half hours. It takes about 5 min. for everyone to set up/check their targets and then your back on a green flag. As long as you abide by their rules your fine. They are about the only place that I care to spend my money and they are some of the best most friendly people I can imagine to be in charge of a range. Where else can you shoot all day and not spend a fortune? I have shot at Claytons, Target World, Classic Pistol...etc. and no where else can the public go to shoot rifle, pistol and shotgun in one place! I highly recommend Wicen's for anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by red87yj View Post
    How slow are some of you shooting?!?!?! I have been to Wicen's many times and a very good friend of mine was a RSO there so I might be a little bias! They call a red flag (cease fire) on the half hours. It takes about 5 min. for everyone to set up/check their targets and then your back on a green flag. As long as you abide by their rules your fine. They are about the only place that I care to spend my money and they are some of the best most friendly people I can imagine to be in charge of a range. Where else can you shoot all day and not spend a fortune? I have shot at Claytons, Target World, Classic Pistol...etc. and no where else can the public go to shoot rifle, pistol and shotgun in one place! I highly recommend Wicen's for anyone!
    +1
    Long time reader, 1st time poster here, and I have to say Wicens is by far the best in Bucks County. $15 for the whole day is great for the amenities they provide. Joe really has the place running like clockwork. If you have a hard time following rules maybe Wicens isn't for you, but if you want a laid back safe place to shoot, it's top notch in that respect.

(Montgomery County)

anyone know if wicen's will let you shoot pistol caliber carbines on the pistol range? Like a PS90, 9mm AR, etc. Would kind of suck being required to shoot from those bench bunkers with these small/SBR pistol cal carbines.

(Wayne County)

Guess if you want to have to sit on a bench and punch holes in paper it's ok. Other than that find another place.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast