Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default HELP!!!Food plots what the #%£$ uh duh!!!

Ive done a ton of research but all it has done is make me even more confused. Obviously I live in pa,Lancaster near Manheim. A property owner has given me permission to plant food plots and sole rights to hunt. I want to plant a crop or crop mixture that will help keep the deer in the area. Especially a crop that will have them around during rifle season. So if anyone has experience with this very confusing science and can explain it to me without further confusing me my family will greatly appreciate it.
    I have a four wheeler and tiling attachments but nothing bigger.
    Thank you everyone.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: HELP!!!Food plots what the #%£$ uh duh!!!

http://www.plantbiologic.com/default.aspx

Front page will tell you what to do follow instructions.

http://www.plantbiologic.com/c-71-fall-blends.aspx

Then pick one of these. Click on one it will tell you what and how long it will be alive for.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Somerset County)

Wait until Sept. and plant Rye, Triticale, or Wheat. Easy to establish (Rye will almost grow on concrete ) and no maintenance required. They will be green all fall and again next spring. If you want something earlier, plant some oats starting in mid to late August.

There's no sense adding clover now, it won't grow much and they don't need the extra protein right now. You could frost seed clover in early spring/late winter next year, then it would be growing in the spring and summer.

How's the soil pH? Rye will tolerate acid soil much better than oats or clover.

Dale

(Delaware County)

I thought hunting over known food plots were illegal in PA according to the game commission?

(Lancaster County)

As for it being illegal I'll have to check it out! My brother in law works for a government agency that does soil testing. I gave him 7 samples from different areas of the proposed plot. I don't remember the Ph he told me but he told me the earth and top soil are perfect for growing just about anything. The field used to be a grazing area for a small dairy farm 50 yrs ago and nothing since. Small patches of alfalfa still grow there. Now I need the right mix of seed, I plan to plant and fence it off until there is sufficient growth so the deer do not eat it before it has a chance to mature. My game cameras are showing at least 5 nice 4-8 point crossing the field and a dozen doe but their only crossing to get to a massive soy bean/alfalfa field (thats tough competition). I want them to at least return to look for food during the season. Someone suggested beats as they become sweet after the frost. I will plant something in the spring unless the mix has something for that. It looks like this may turn out to be work for next season if I don't get it right and soon. Thank everyone and please keep the ideas coming. I reall appreciate every bit of it.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by vetter3006 View Post
    I thought hunting over known food plots were illegal in PA according to the game commission?
    Not true at all, Food plots are legal to hunt over.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by R.W.J View Post
    Not true at all, Food plots are legal to hunt over.
    Here is the the section in the game law:
    #8 says it all, I also took the bowhunting course and the WCO said the same it's illegal.

Sec. 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.
    (a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:
    (1) An automatic firearm or similar device.
    (2) A semiautomatic rifle or pistol.
    (3) Reserved.
    (4) A semiautomatic shotgun or magazine shotgun for hunting or taking small game, furbearers, turkey or unprotected birds unless the shotgun is plugged to a two-shell capacity in the magazine.
    (5) Any device operated by air, chemical or gas cylinder by which a projectile of any size or kind can be discharged or propelled.
    (6) Any recorded call or sound or recorded or electronically amplified imitation of a call or sound of any description or any other call or sound or imitation of calls or sounds which are prohibited by regulations of the commission. The commission shall be authorized, by resolution, to adopt rules and regulations authorizing the limited use of recorded calls or sounds or recorded or electronically amplified imitation of calls or sounds when such use is necessary in the commission's judgment to protect the public health and safety or to preserve that species or any other endangered by it.
    (7) A vehicle or conveyance of any kind or its attachment propelled by other than manpower. Nothing in this subsection shall pertain to any motorboat or sailboat if the motor has been completely shut off or sail furled, and the progress thereof has ceased.
    (8) Any artificial or natural bait, hay, grain, fruit, nut, salt, chemical, mineral or other food as an enticement for game or wildlife, regardless of kind and quantity, or take advantage of any such area or food or bait prior to 30 days after the removal of such material and its residue.

Here's food plot tips from the PGC's own biologists:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=698455&mode=2

vetter3006: I think they want to deter baiting and the pour-a-bag-out-in-front-of-your-blind-or-stand guys & gals.
    Last edited by CL3; July 23rd, 2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: It's clear in the regs.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by vetter3006 View Post
    Here is the the section in the game law:
    #8 says it all, I also took the bowhunting course and the WCO said the same it's illegal.

Sec. 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.
    (a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:
    (1) An automatic firearm or similar device.
    (2) A semiautomatic rifle or pistol.
    (3) Reserved.
    (4) A semiautomatic shotgun or magazine shotgun for hunting or taking small game, furbearers, turkey or unprotected birds unless the shotgun is plugged to a two-shell capacity in the magazine.
    (5) Any device operated by air, chemical or gas cylinder by which a projectile of any size or kind can be discharged or propelled.
    (6) Any recorded call or sound or recorded or electronically amplified imitation of a call or sound of any description or any other call or sound or imitation of calls or sounds which are prohibited by regulations of the commission. The commission shall be authorized, by resolution, to adopt rules and regulations authorizing the limited use of recorded calls or sounds or recorded or electronically amplified imitation of calls or sounds when such use is necessary in the commission's judgment to protect the public health and safety or to preserve that species or any other endangered by it.
    (7) A vehicle or conveyance of any kind or its attachment propelled by other than manpower. Nothing in this subsection shall pertain to any motorboat or sailboat if the motor has been completely shut off or sail furled, and the progress thereof has ceased.
    (8) Any artificial or natural bait, hay, grain, fruit, nut, salt, chemical, mineral or other food as an enticement for game or wildlife, regardless of kind and quantity, or take advantage of any such area or food or bait prior to 30 days after the removal of such material and its residue.

See it does no good unless you post the whole thing, you cant just stop where you see fit.

here is what you left out from 2308.a.8

Nothing contained in this subsection shall pertain to normal or accepted farming, habitat management practices, oil and gas drilling, mining, forest management activities or other legitimate commercial or industrial practices. Upon discovery of such baited areas, whether prosecution is contemplated or not, the commission may cause a reasonable area surrounding the enticement to be posted against hunting or taking game or wildlife. The posters shall remain for 30 days after complete removal of the bait.

Food plots are considered habitat management practices. Rule of thumb is if it has roots and is growing its ok. You cant just place bushels of food on the ground or minerals then hunt over it.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by R.W.J View Post
    See it does no good unless you post the whole thing, you cant just stop where you see fit.

here is what you left out from 2308.a.8

Nothing contained in this subsection shall pertain to normal or accepted farming, habitat management practices, oil and gas drilling, mining, forest management activities or other legitimate commercial or industrial practices. Upon discovery of such baited areas, whether prosecution is contemplated or not, the commission may cause a reasonable area surrounding the enticement to be posted against hunting or taking game or wildlife. The posters shall remain for 30 days after complete removal of the bait.

Food plots are considered habitat management practices. Rule of thumb is if it has roots and is growing its ok. You cant just place bushels of food on the ground or minerals then hunt over it.
    And that's why he is our favorite ......... You know.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast