Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: HELP!!!Food plots what the #%£$ uh duh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by R.W.J View Post
    That is what stops most people. Some try to plant little patches but the food plot had no food left in it come hunting season. You need a good size chunk to plant a good foodplot
    True. You need a 4 wheeler and the tools to make it worth the while. Your best thing for at least the early season is to plant apple trees at your spot.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by toddclites View Post
    My game cameras are showing at least 5 nice 4-8 point crossing the field and a dozen doe but their only crossing to get to a massive soy bean/alfalfa field (thats tough competition). I want them to at least return to look for food during the season. Someone suggested beats as they become sweet after the frost.
    Soybeans will most likely be harvested in October and the alfalfa will lose it's appeal after the first hard frost (or after a late harvest). Beets and the brassicas are fine deer food late in the fall and winter but require a finer seedbed for successful establishment. On your first stab and with limited tillage/planting equipment, chances of failure are pretty high.

That's why I recommended one of the winter grains (rye etc). Spray, disk, broadcast the seed, disk again. Rye will come up, it's that simple.

Frost seed some clover next spring and spray with Poast to kill the grass (ie rye) and you're good to go.

Dale

(Lancaster County)

Ok then I surely had no intention on starting trouble. As for the rules yes you can hunt over food plot as long as they are part of land management which is what I'm doing. I don't plan on literally having a stand 20 yards from the plot. It's still a sport,I just need to make sure they grow(deer) and continue to vist the area.
    I've got a pull behind row cutter that's it. It's the seed mix I need to figure out. The soil is great,good Ph and I do plan on fertilizing. Again thank you all for the information especially answering the question of whether or not you can hunt over it. It's refreshing to see so many people giving intelligent input. Thank you all and please keep it coming!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by toddclites View Post
    Ok then I surely had no intention on starting trouble. As for the rules yes you can hunt over food plot as long as they are part of land management which is what I'm doing. I don't plan on literally having a stand 20 yards from the plot. It's still a sport,I just need to make sure they grow(deer) and continue to vist the area.
    I've got a pull behind row cutter that's it. It's the seed mix I need to figure out. The soil is great,good Ph and I do plan on fertilizing. Again thank you all for the information especially answering the question of whether or not you can hunt over it. It's refreshing to see so many people giving intelligent input. Thank you all and please keep it coming!
    Look there is no trouble here just some misinformation. There is nothing wrong with putting a food plot in and hunting smack dab in the middle of it. Why not put a stand 20 yards from the plot? That is smart hunting. You are the hunter if you take the time to put a food source in take advantage of the great resource.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by A-5 View Post
    Look there is no trouble here just some misinformation. There is nothing wrong with putting a food plot in and hunting smack dab in the middle of it. Why not put a stand 20 yards from the plot? That is smart hunting. You are the hunter if you take the time to put a food source in take advantage of the great resource.
    Exactly.... rep inbound!
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Dauphin County)

So all that crap you see on TV like c'mere deer is illegal?
    Kick them in the nuts ........ or vajajay...--Mitch10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo41 View Post
    So all that crap you see on TV like c'mere deer is illegal?
    Here in PA, you can use it up to 30 days before you hunt the spot. Then it has to be gone or removed. Not sure it's worth it to chuck a couple of bags down or not.

(Lawrence County)

I knew a guy who would till a huge patch in the middle of the woods right next to his deer stand and throw down a TON of salt in the summer, then till again. The deer loved it all year long. He did it on his own private, posted land. He wasn't a hunter, but he would take some great pictures of them coming to the salt lick... It just looked like dirt to me... lol

He passed away and the family doesn't really let anyone back there. He didn't like deer hunting so I don't ask to hunt there out of respect. But the deer are still there, licking the dirt... Hated squirrels though, luckily enough for me... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by CL3 View Post
    Here in PA, you can use it up to 30 days before you hunt the spot. Then it has to be gone or removed. Not sure it's worth it to chuck a couple of bags down or not.
    you would also have to remove all traces od residue from the earth, before hunting over/near it.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123