Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: coyotes

(Berks County)

Default coyotes

ive been looking around at getting a riflr for coyotes. i never hunted yotes before and looking for some info. ive been reading people say 17hmr and 22wmr are great rounds to use and some say no. im confused on what to look at. ive got a 308 for deer but thats alittle overkill for yotes. any input would be great. i like the 17hmr myself.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: coyotes

While i am a huge fan of the 17 hmr, i would not recommend it for coyotes. Will it kill a yote, sure. You will be very limited on range and your shots should be head shots. If you are not limited to rimfire because of your WMU, you should look into 22 cal centerfire rounds. The most popular seem to be 204, 223, 22-250, 220 swift, 25-06 and 243.
    " I'm just a peckerwood that lives in the hills with too many guns." - swagger

(Lehigh County)

If you are restricted to rim fire only then your stuck with 22 mag or 17. Could use 22 lr within 50 yards but I wouldn't personally

If not restricted get a 223 bolt or if monys tight a single shot h&r in 223 would suffice well.
    Have you called, faxed, or emailed your reps today!!!

(Bucks County)

I predator hunt outside of reg deer seasons. I may bring any of the following into the woods with me depending on my mood, or the terrain I will be hunting. I could be carrying a .204 ruger, .22mag, .223, or may just go with my 12 gauge.

I believe that most guys that shoot coyotes are actually hunting deer and just happen to be in the right place at the right time. So, with that being said...your 308 is fine if you are just out to do some exterminating work. I know guys that have knocked em down with their 06's while deer hunting and where still able to get them mounted.

If you are concerned with pelt damage go with the .223, or if your in the thick stuff and shots are short, go with the 12 loaded with dead coyote shot.

my two cents.

(Monroe County)

Or you could just use the .308 thats what i do, for as often as i see one to get a shot at a coyote around here i can't see spending on another rifle to sit in the safe,unless you want the pelt or if you plan on taking it to get stuffed,worst case is you will cut him in half with the .308!

(Chester County)

I use a .223, doesn't destroy the pelt, but kills the yotes dead!

(Northampton County)

All of the above mentioned 22 caliber rifles sound like a great choice.

If I were buying a coyote rifle, I would go with a .223 because of the availability and cost of ammo. There's such a huge market out there for the 223 due to AR 15's you should be able to find or load up some real nice stuff at a low cost.

Personally, I have only predator hunted 2 or 3 times and used my 870 loaded with #4 buck each time (it's more fox than yote around me though). Since then I picked up a Savage 22 Mag I plan on using once I outfit it with a nice illuminated reticle scope and maybe bipod (I hunt mainly Upper Bucks which is rimfire rifle only).

Good luck with your purchase!
    "The Earth is for the living." -Thomas Jefferson

(Berks County)

thanks for all the info. i was looking at ammo for my 308 and i can get 110 or 125 grain rounds that should cut down on the damage alittle. i cant see buying another rifle since im only going to do this a hand full of times. if i wanna get more into it id buy a bolt action 223. another quick question. to hunt yotes do you need a fur takers license or just a reg hunting lincese? im located in 5c but going to be going up to pike county with a guy for work.

(Berks County)

ok found the anwser to my question. looked at the pa game commision site and it said with a regular hunting license or furtakers. now its just a matter of getting things figured out

Don't over look the 17 Remington or the 22 hornet. Both of those calibers are very popular predator calibers as well.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast