Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default WHY DO I (WE) HUNT ????

I will go first:

I am not absolutely sure there is a single reason why I hunt, but what is the motor that drives me ??? When I was young I bought Field & Stream and Outdoor Life. I went directly to Warren Page and Jack O'Conner. Fascinating. Boy, they had all of the answers.

Yes my start was a Red Ryder BB gun. Then my Uncle gave me a Winchester Pump .22---Then my first centerfire. The Springfield A3-03, 30-06 with 220 grain bullets. Bigger is better. My groups were 18 inches. It was apparent, waiting for the recoil, your accuracy goes way downhill with your eyes shut. Part of the learning curve.

Hunting had a bear hug on me. Was it the sport, the outdoors, the competition, a chance for success, my friends and deer camp. The list could be endless. I am and have always been a family man, but if I had time to myself, the hunt, the target shooting, reloading, the strategy. I learned this game by the elimination process. I am self taught. "Boy, that failed. Time to try something different".

Today the hills are steeper. When I get out of bed ; "what part of my bod will hurt today". Guess what. I really don't give a RAT's ASS because I will go out to John the Diaryman's farm, late afternoon, sit on a hill and look for that right shot at a chuck. It is better today than 30 years ago. But why ???? A small part is your focus. You block everything out, except what you are here for. The world slows down. You set the pace.

I believe it is PASSION that drives me. How do I define my passion ?? There are not enough pages in this forum to define it and I have no idea where to start.

Next batter up-----The question is still WHY ! ! !

fossil
    Last edited by ImAfossil; July 20th, 2012 at 11:32 PM.
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

(Bucks County)

Default Re: WHY DO I (WE) HUNT ????

We are made to hunt, we are predators (by the way we are made).

Eyes, teeth, use of tools.

Look at our build and the build of other animals, predators versus prey.

(Lehigh County)

I hunt because its a family tradition in our family. My family tree is mostly made up by people who live up state and had a rich hunting tradition. I was taught to hunt by my grandfather and my brother and I are now teaching my son to hunt ( early stages) The main difference is they hunted more for food I now hunt for fun with my family, Hopes of a trophy , and food but thats last on my priority im fortunate to be working and live near ACME

All seriousness hunting is a deep national tradition
    Have you called, faxed, or emailed your reps today!!!

(Delaware County)

Why do I hunt?
    I started hunting because my dad hunted. I was finally "man enough" (at 12) to walk in the woods and kill me a deer. It was almost a right of passage for my brother and I. That mentality was there untill I was "ready" to hunt by myself. (six years of lessons from the old man later).
    Two decades later, I break hunting season down into four parts: Pre hunting rituals/preparedness, times at the cabin with the troops, actual time spent in the woods, and the stories made that evolve over the years. Each of those parts is what I consider hunting. However, stepping into the woods and stalking a deer makes me feel like I belong. Nothing else matters when I'm stalking... All of the bs in the world and my life just disappears. I stalk opening day every year just to experience that, even though I've only had success twice.
    Did I mention it's the tastiest meat known to man?

(Bucks County)

I hunt because of many reasons:

It's a skill that someday might be necessary for the survival of my family.

It's fun, I get a huge adrenaline rush seeing that animal approach.

It's therapeutic, getting that time to myself in peace and quiet, able to think about whatever I want without anyone bothering me.

It opens the door to other fun and fulfilling activities and skills, such as hide tanning, butchering, and marksmanship.

It's a way to relate to people and make new friends; it's a conversation starter.

You are guaranteed to have some good stories.

It's what liberals tell me I shouldn't do.

(Delaware County)

I hunt because beginning to end, it's a fantastic experience.

Preparing - builds excitement through: reading some of the various publications; practicing with the bow, rifle ect.; scouting in the off season

pre-hunt - Scouting and setting up the stands gets me in the field. During rifle season, it's a great time in camp getting ready for opening day.

Actually hunting - getting up early, following my morning routine and the predawn march, it's all a great build up. In the stand I truly enjoy being in the woods. Watching the woods come to life, seeing things that you can't see when you are tromping through the woods. The excitement of every sound that might be a deer.

Post hunt - The joy of meeting up with your buddies and swapping stories on the way out. having a beer with a dinner that tastes extra special because it was a long day and talking about the "big one" you want. The renewed excitement as you repack you gear for the next day. Going to bed at 8:30 and not feeling silly.

Bonus - The RUSH you feel when you spot a deer. The nerves you try to control as you line up the shot on that deer in you shaky sights. The ecstasy of squeezing the trigger and watching the deer fall/jump/kick. The fear/joy of tracking a blood trail and finding the deer. The taste of that meat on the grill.

From A to Z it's one unique experience.

Hunting is carnal, and masculine. Also, just like grilling, and driving a car or riding a bike with a big engine, sports, and even multiplayer video games. Power, control, gratification. For me, I don't hunt, but I certainly see the charm. The reason I don't hunt is because I am afraid of not getting a clean kill and watching the animal suffer, even if it's only a few seconds until I fire off another round. That being said, varmint killing is something I will do. "Take that you @%$@!!! That's what you get for eating my @^$# garden!"
    Iconoclastic Individual Specimen

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolPC View Post
    Hunting is carnal, and masculine. Also, just like grilling, and driving a car or riding a bike with a big engine, sports, and even multiplayer video games. Power, control, gratification. For me, I don't hunt, but I certainly see the charm. The reason I don't hunt is because I am afraid of not getting a clean kill and watching the animal suffer, even if it's only a few seconds until I fire off another round. That being said, varmint killing is something I will do. "Take that you @%$@!!! That's what you get for eating my @^$# garden!"
    Like most people, I hate to see an animal suffer. Which is why I strive to only take ethical shots, and make sure my equipment and marksmanship skills are up to par. But of course it will still happen at some point, and I justify it by thinking about the fact that we need hunters to regulate the population, and an animal will suffer even worse if it dies of starvation, or gets hit by a car. Or even worse, if the overpopulation results in car accidents that kill people.

(Westmoreland County)

Mostly, because if I had no job, no need to earn money at all then I would be hunting. I like to hike and camp and all that stuff, but it just feels more right with a rifle or a shotgun. I love being in the woods I love trying to figure out how the animals are going to move or where they might be etc... Love it.

I mean even though I do a lot more hunting than killing, even on the bad days I was in the woods all day. That is a no lose situation.

(Westmoreland County)

I think with age the reasons change. In my youth It was more about the thrill of the Hunt and the big rack. Now if I wake up and don’t hurt too much, just getting out being in the woods. its what I see in a day in the woods. I get as much of a kick out of seeing other wild life and just getting out there. Don’t get me wrong if I see a nice buck I will take it, At one time I also complained if I did not see Deer, now just a day in the woods will suffice.