Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Thinking of calibers best suited for use on body armor?

How many vests or trauma plates can withstand multiple hits? And for that matter how many multiple hits before they fail?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Delaware County)

My bullet of choice, for carry......

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/45-ACP-P...A45-185-TACXP/

1060 fps
    462 ft lbs

Would it work,,,, I don't know and hope I never have to find out. But it is a nice bullet. 9 of them will be dispensed rapidly.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neilthepilot View Post
    I always thought that this was the point of the "Double Tap". The first shot at a moving target that may be firing at you is center mass. The first shot hopefully will give him or her pause (even the 9mm left a softball sized dent in the clay) the second shot follows on the non protected watermelon.
    I generally think of a double tap (or "hammer" as Jeff Cooper called it, or "controlled pair" as some trainers and PDs prefer to call it for PC/legal reasons) as being aimed at the same point of impact.

The shot at the "watermelon" comes in when doing a Mozambique Drill (a.k.a. Failure To Stop drill), two to the center of mass followed by one to the head.
    Last edited by twency; July 20th, 2012 at 08:02 PM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    It was still a good article to bring up.

Damn, that's it? It sounded like he had some bad gas. I figured a shot like that would have him on the floor recoiling from the pain. However was he wearing trauma plates? Also, the shot was to his stomach (He seems to have some extra, natural padding there ) if he was shot in the chest or groin multiple times with 10mm would the results be different? Remember a Glock 20 holds between 15 and 33 rounds of 10mm.
    Yeah, like father-of-three said he did indeed have on a panel, if he didn't I think he would have been a hurtin' indian.

But even with that Second Chance panel on top of his armor and then on top of his fat that round still looked very painful and your right there would still be 15 more of those rounds to take.

I long for the day when I can read or hear about an attempted mass shooting like this, but the perp only gets a few missed shots off before the majority of the crowd returns fire and turns the guy into hamburger, right where he stood.

Probably a more effective shot for someone wearing body armor would be in the waist/ belly button region. Still a wide area, but below where most armor stops.

One could also alternate hollow point and FMJ in their magazines, to cover all bases. Or have a mag of one and a spare in another. It definitely makes you rethink your choice of ammo, although it is highly unlikely you will encounter this situation in your lifetime.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    My bullet of choice, for carry......

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/45-ACP-P...A45-185-TACXP/

1060 fps
    462 ft lbs

Would it work,,,, I don't know and hope I never have to find out. But it is a nice bullet. 9 of them will be dispensed rapidly.
    Jesus, they cost nearly $2/round.

Quote Originally Posted by kbcobra26 View Post
    Yeah, like father-of-three said he did indeed have on a panel, if he didn't I think he would have been a hurtin' indian.

But even with that Second Chance panel on top of his armor and then on top of his fat that round still looked very painful and your right there would still be 15 more of those rounds to take.
    The test is inconclusive, I have my doubts an attacker with armor (Even with plates) would still be standing if shot multiple times to the chest with 10mm.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Not to nitpick, but 00 buck is not a large caliber round.

I'm thinking a .44 magnum against soft armor is going to make a guy think twice real quick.

The LA shootout guys were wearing multiple layers as well, not what one would typically see.
    It's multiple large caliber "shot". Each 00 buckshot is:

8.38 mm (0.330")

So yeah, 30 cal is pretty big last I checked. isn't that what snipers use? About nine 30 cals at once does not, a good day, make.

P.S. yes I know each shot is round, lower velocity, and won't penetrate as far.
    Iconoclastic Individual Specimen

(Franklin County)

9x25 dillan ftw. I doubt a vest could withstand that monster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Shoot what you like, like what you shoot.Own what you like, like what you own.

I think my 1911 .45acp would stun them enough while I take a head shot
    I offer discounts on freeze dried foods, knives and other prepping products.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolPC View Post
    It's multiple large caliber "shot". Each 00 buckshot is:

8.38 mm (0.330")

So yeah, 30 cal is pretty big last I checked. isn't that what snipers use? About nine 30 cals at once does not, a good day, make.

P.S. yes I know each shot is round, lower velocity, and won't penetrate as far.
    Really, what is it tonight, full moon?

It's multiple projectiles of a small caliber.
    Yes, .30 cal is considered small in most circles, .33 to .37 are medium, .40/.41 are medium-large and until you get to .44 and larger, that is when you get into big bore.

You never see a .357 mag or 9mm advertised as a large or big bore but .44 mags, .454 Casull, .460 Rowland and .500 S&W are advertised and commonly called big bores.

The thread is about handguns against body armor, not high velocity sniper rifles VS. body armor.
    Buckshot against trauma plates is going to just bounce off IMO and at less than point blank range, do nothing to the armored attacker.
    Last edited by 39flathead; July 20th, 2012 at 10:43 PM.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast