Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default 3 round mag limits at game land ranges

The posts about shooting oddball targets reminded me of a question about the 3 round mag limits at game land public ranges. I don't normally shoot at any of these [the closes one to me is over an hour drive-s.g.206 in luzerne co. been there once] I have a AK that I shoot all I have for it is 20&30 round mags. I've been thinking about buying a few 5 round mags for it just to take to the range & load with 3 rounds to shoot targets. My question is no matter what the mag capacity if I get checked[ and I probably would if a ranger saw me shooting it] as long as I only have 3 loaded am I legal? I know the reason for the limit and understand it,some people when they get a semi and 30 quick rounds tend to shoot up everything in sight! Anyone know anything about it ? Don't need any fines.

(Berks County)

Default Re: 3 round mag limits at game land ranges

Quote Originally Posted by dtree25 View Post
    The posts about shooting oddball targets reminded me of a question about the 3 round mag limits at game land public ranges. I don't normally shoot at any of these [the closes one to me is over an hour drive-s.g.206 in luzerne co. been there once] I have a AK that I shoot all I have for it is 20&30 round mags. I've been thinking about buying a few 5 round mags for it just to take to the range & load with 3 rounds to shoot targets. My question is no matter what the mag capacity if I get checked[ and I probably would if a ranger saw me shooting it] as long as I only have 3 loaded am I legal? I know the reason for the limit and understand it,some people when they get a semi and 30 quick rounds tend to shoot up everything in sight! Anyone know anything about it ? Don't need any fines.
    As long as you only have 3 rounds loaded you should be OK. After all, it's kinda tough to find 3 round magazines for an AK
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Northumberland County)

yea I kinda thought so chambered round ,but some times you never know, the sight of a AK & 30 mag sometimes freak people out

(Indiana County)

I just load six in my 14 round capacity mag for my Beretta storm when I go to game ranges. (Six is the limit for handguns). You should be fine.

(Wayne County)

About ten, give or take, years ago the GC wanted to limit the use of GC ranges to bolt action rifles and, I think revolvers only. They claimed that people were coming from over the border and using full auto pieces and were shooting up the target frames. (I'm not sure but I think the issue was in Delaware County) That proposal was made public in a news print paper (I forgot the name) dedicated to guns and shooting. It was picked up by PA activists and the SHTF with a barrage of letters and phone calls to the GC in Harrisburg. During one of my calls I was told by the commisioner's assistant that the proposal got so much heat that it was tabled. BTW he also admitted to responding to my letters in the comissioners name. I can't help but wonder how much the commissioner knew about what was going on. Anyway, awhile later the three round long gun and six round pistol rule was promulgated. If you go to the GC website re ranges it will tell you why this is so important. It will probably make you feel real good. If enough people ask nicely I think the current commissioner might be inclined to bump the limit up to five rounds. That would also help the M1 Garand shooters because, I'm pretty sure, the only modifided clips out there for the M1's are for two rounds and five rounds.

(Northumberland County)

Yea I'ved read the website and the reason why not only do some people not know how to control themselves with a high capacity semi-ie: shooting up the targets and frames, but they stated the case for hogging the shooting time at a busy range[cranking off shots when everyone wants to check targets] but as far as I'm concernd there's no differance between 3 shots from my marlin 336 30-30 and 3 shots from my AK, just a little faster with the AK,barely

(Lawrence County)

The reason, that I've seen, people shoot the target braces, are because they staple or hang their targets on the vertical rails instead of letting them hang down on the horizontal rail...

Chazcardboardman321
    I like guns... And boobs...

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    As long as you only have 3 rounds loaded you should be OK. After all, it's kinda tough to find 3 round magazines for an AK

I would not take an AK or SKS to a state range, SGL 43 in particular. I witnessed one guy shooting an SKS who was fully compliant but was hassled & fined anyway.

I understand not all ranges are as austere as this, just be aware that there are varying degrees and interpretations of enforcement.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Northumberland County)

thats one reason I always try to go early on week days, not crowded and no one usually bothers me

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgser View Post
    ..... They claimed that people were coming from over the border and using full auto pieces and were shooting up the target frames. (I'm not sure but I think the issue was in Delaware County) ......
    Delaware County is one of the very few counties in PA without a state game land range.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast