Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default This is wrong, right?

The Mrs. and I took a ride to Wilkes-Barre. I stopped into a sporting goods chain store to poke around while she was at the craft store next door. I should know better. Last fall I heard a gun salesperson tell a young guy the .270 his grandfather told to him buy, would not be suitable for PA whitetails.

Today, a guy was in there with his son, looking at a rifle (a better rimfire from what my gawking could determine.) They decided this gun was the one they wanted.

The young man (son), the primary person examining and 'trying on' the gun, was asked, "Is this gun for you?"

He replied, "yes."

The father said, "I am buying it."
    The son stated he is not yet 18 years old.

The salesman refused the sale. He said he can not do that transaction? WHAT?!? They are father and son?

That was wrong, right? He can buy his lucky a$$ son a nice new rifle.
    Last edited by bgeddes; May 28th, 2010 at 08:24 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: This is wrong, right?

I dont know the exact laws and whatnot but when i was a kid my dad bought many firearms for me... including a handgun (it was of course in his safe) and the said stores knew it was being purchased for me.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cbronwen16 View Post
    I dont know the exact laws and whatnot but when i was a kid my dad bought many firearms for me... including a handgun (it was of course in his safe) and the said stores knew it was being purchased for me.

Edit: Ok never mind It's ok to do that
    Last edited by kbcobra26; May 28th, 2010 at 10:00 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

The father should have been able to buy the gun, so long as he purchased it for his own collection, but was allowing the son to "use" the rifle under his supervision. That is one of the exceptions to the age rule. However, he cannot implicitly purchase a firearm for anyone, other than himself. The clerk was wrong in his refusing to sell the father the gun, because he basically baited him into implying that he was making a straw purchase, when that wasn't the intent.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 45=id View Post
    You may want to edit that since this is a public forum..
    Just a suggestion
    Why would he need to edit his post. A dad can buy a son a gun as a gift as many times as the dad wants to.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by 45=id View Post
    You may want to edit that since this is a public forum..
    Just a suggestion
    So , I can't buy a firearm, with full intention of giving it to my son or daughter or nephew or neice upon them being of legal age to own one? And then sell or gift it to them? With transfer, where it applies?
    Last edited by SkullBone; May 28th, 2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: with transfer?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExCopInPhilly View Post
    The father should have been able to buy the gun, so long as he purchased it for his own collection, but was allowing the son to "use" the rifle under his supervision. That is one of the exceptions to the age rule. However, he cannot implicitly purchase a firearm for anyone, other than himself. The clerk was wrong in his refusing to sell the father the gun, because he basically baited him into implying that he was making a straw purchase, when that wasn't the intent.
    A father can buy a son a gun as a gift. No straw purchase at all. Are you really an ex philly cop?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by SkullBone View Post
    So , I can't buy a firearm, with full intention of giving it to my son or daughter or nephew or neice upon them being of legal age to own one? And then sell or gift it to them? With transfer, where it applies?

Yes you can. And there is no "transfer" required between a father and son.

Quote Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
    The Mrs. and I took a ride to Wilkes-Barre. I stopped into a sporting goods chain store to poke around while she was at the craft store next door. I should know better. Last fall I heard a gun salesperson tell a young guy the .270 his grandfather told to him buy, would not be suitable for PA whitetails.

Today, a guy was in there with his son, looking at a rifle (a better rimfire from what my gawking could determine.) They decided this gun was the one they wanted.

The young man (son), the primary person examining and 'trying on' the gun, was asked, "Is this gun for you?"

He replied, "yes."

The father said, "I am buying it."
    The son stated he is not yet 18 years old.

The salesman refused the sale. He said he can not do that transaction? WHAT?!? They are father and son?

That was wrong, right? He can buy his lucky a$$ son a nice new rifle.
    Right, it was wrong. A parent can purchase a firearm for a child's use. Of course it is technically property of the father but perfectly legal to size the gun to the kid, let the kid say "yeah, I want this one." Same with a handgun. But the parent is responsible for it's use and cannot let the kid loose without supervision. I once purchased a handgun for my son when he was 17. It was not secret at all who the primary user was going to be. They even showed him how to disassemble it.

This type of purchase isn't a straw unless my intent is to allow the kid access without restrictions or supervision. I own the gun, my child uses it. At this time my 12y.o. has a 10/22 and a .410, both purchased with that usage known by the FFLs. At 18 they are then allowed to fully own the guns as gifted to them by me.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    A father can buy a son a gun as a gift. No straw purchase at all. Are you really an ex philly cop?
    Reread what I said, he already covered that the son was under 18, so no, the father can't just buy it for the son. He can, however, buy it for himself, allow the son to use it under his supervision, and gift it to the son when the son is of legal age to own it. I also said that the clerk made the father imply a straw purchase, when there wasn't one.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast