Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Trying to decide between 3 1x4x24 illuminated scopes

I am trying to decide which of the following scopes to put on my 3 gun AR platform, I am a bit worried that the millet dot in a donut will be too much red on the recticle, I am used to a small red dot inside a thin red circle and really like that pattern, the millet is a small dot inside a really thick red circle or "donut". I dont know if the more expensive burris is worth the extra 100.00 for what I want to do. Anybody with experience using these scopes please chime in. Thanks! I have a no magnification red dot on it now.
    the scopes I am looking at are

1 https://www.primaryarms.com/Millett_..._p/bk81002.htm

2 https://www.primaryarms.com/Burris_T...p/bu200433.htm

3 https://www.primaryarms.com/Burris_M...p/bu200437.htm

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Trying to decide between 3 1x4x24 illuminated scopes

I have the Millett and overall it's a pretty fair scope for the price. Glass is clear enough and the reticle is actually pretty nice. Not too much red at all and during the day, with power off, the donut-dot is just as black as the rest of the reticle. Adjustment detents are a little vague and the knob for brightness/on/off is stiff enough to grumble about it though. It does have an extra battery under one of the adjustment caps which could come in handy I guess.

I don't know about the Burris but I've heard folks seem to like it just fine.

(Centre County)

Have you considered the Nikon Monarch African series? Available with a 1 inch or 30mm tube. Here is the link to a refurbished one for $200.00.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...rodID=NK8446BR

I had the millett once upon a time way back when. It was ok for what it is. I guess if I had a budget, I'd look into it again. I sold it to a friend and have upgraded since then. As far as I know, he's still shooting with it and is very happy with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Berks County)

The old adage of "you get what you pay for." is not always the case but more often then we like to admit its closer to the truth.

Millet scopes are decent for the price, the price being $200. For a gun that costs upwards of $1000 I would look at what I wanted to get out of the firearm. If you intend to shoot targets from 25 to 200 Meters than the Millet isn't an awful option. If you intend to shoot out further say 300 to 500 meters than I could consider something else.

When I choose a scope I look at three components.

1. Clarity. The best ret system in the world won't mean a whole lot if I can't see what I am aiming at.

2. Adjustment. How many clicks? Windage, elevation, can I adjust the parallax? For a 1-4 are these super important? Probably not but again it all depends on what you overall goal(s) are/is.

3. Review. How many threads are dedicated to the greatness or lack thereof.

People can be very upset about getting a lemon and with any product it can happen but seeing large amounts of failures is an indication that the product is not always made up to snuff.

Of the three you suggested I would go with one of the Burris scopes. Better Glass and from my experiences more reliable adjustment. Try to find a local shop that carries one or two of the brands and take a look yourself.

If you have some more time to decide take a look at the Bushnell line of scopes. They use the same glass manufacturer as Nightforce in some of their models. The price is close to what you have here and the quality has really exceeded their price range.

Quote Originally Posted by JDePietro View Post

If you have some more time to decide take a look at the Bushnell line of scopes. They use the same glass manufacturer as Nightforce in some of their models. The price is close to what you have here and the quality has really exceeded their price range.
    Agreed.

The new ffp 1-6.5x Bushnell is bad ass. A buddy of mine got to t&e one and he put it through some hard use and abuse after it sat at the bottom of his swimming pool for 3 hours. I also recommend looking at that one as well as the swfa 1-6x24. You get allot for the money with those two.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.