Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Requests to investigate anti-gun Philly top cop’s ‘gun crimes’ ignored

http://www.examiner.com/article/requ...crimes-ignored

Commonwealth and municipal legal authorities have punted and ignored requests to investigate Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey for misdemeanor and felony violations of Pennsylvania's Uniform Firearms Act, attorney Joshua Prince informed Gun Rights Examiner over the weekend.

“[Ramsey] has openly carried a firearm in the city of Philadelphia but is neither a certified police officer, nor does he have a license to carry firearms,” Prince informed Attorney General Linda L. Kelly in an April 17 letter, providing citations to relevant Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes sections . “Furthermore, he wears a uniform and displays a badge, but is not a certified police officer, in violation of Municipal Police Officers' Education and Training Program… Accordingly, he is also not entitled to compensation.”

Gun Rights Examiner raised many of these questions in an April 5 column, reminding readers that those who aren’t part of Ramsey’s force receive harsh treatment from his ground troops when lawfully open-carrying firearms, and that Ramsey testified before Congress opposing national right-to-carry reciprocity.

“[I]n a city of the first class, which Philadelphia is classified as, an individual must have a license to carry firearms, or be exempted, to openly carry a firearm,” Prince continued. “I have seen [Ramsey] with a firearm openly displayed on his hip, on numerous occasions, while giving press interviews in Philadelphia.”

“While I acknowledge there are exceptions, including for law enforcement…Ramsey is not a certified law enforcement officer,” Prince informed the attorney general, further reminding her that “[a]ny person hired as a police officer shall be ineligible to receive any salary, compensation or other consideration for the performance of duties as a police officer unless the person has met all of the requirements as established by the commission and has been duly certified as having met those requirements by the commission.”

“While there is now conflicting evidence of whether he has become MPOETC certified, such certification would not absolve him of his past violations of the law nor change the fact that he was not entitled to compensation from 2008 through the date of certification, which must be reimbursed to the Commonwealth,” Prince stated, concluding that a local investigation would be “conflicted…given the working relationship between the DA's Office and the Philadelphia Police Department, “ and requesting “a formal investigation” to be opened by the state.

“The jurisdiction of the Attorney General to investigate and prosecute criminal activity is limited by state law,” Frank G. Fina, Chief Deputy Attorney General , Criminal Prosecutions Division, told Prince in a May 7 reply on behalf of his boss.

“Any violations of state law in this regard would fall under the authority of the District Attorney,” Fina concluded, washing his hands of the matter.

With the door to a state investigation slammed in his face, Prince took CDAG Fina’s advice and sent a formal investigation request to District Attorney Seth Williams on May 23. To date, almost two months later, he has received no acknowledgement or reply. It appears their being notified that the city’s chief law enforcement officer may have violated firearms and other laws is being met with deliberate indifference on the part of those tasked with prosecution.

In addition to the documented complaints by Philadelphia officials that preemption on firearms laws preclude municipalities from enacting more stringent citizen disarmament edicts, it would also appear the Attorney General’s excuse not to investigate is contradicted by the Commonwealth Attorneys Act, which states in part “The Attorney General shall have the power to prosecute in any county criminal court” when “there is the potential for an actual or apparent conflict of interest on the part of the district attorney or his office," and "[t]he Attorney General may petition the court having jurisdiction over any criminal proceeding to permit the Attorney General to supersede the district attorney in order to prosecute a criminal action or to institute criminal proceedings."

Also, Pennsylvania’s Rules of Criminal Procedure require filing a private criminal complaint, further stating "[w]hen the affiant is not a law enforcement officer, the complaint shall be submitted to an attorney for the Commonwealth, who shall approve or disapprove it without unreasonable delay.” By ignoring the petition it would appear DA Williams may actually be attempting to prevent Prince from being able to file for review in the court of common pleas.

Prince has not given up, and tells Gun Rights Examiner he will continue to advance his concerns through the system, including following up with the Attorney General for intervention if the District Attorney continues stonewalling.

“Where the Chief of Police/Chief Law Enforcement Officer for the City of Philadelphia blatantly ignores the laws of the Commonwealth, including requiring the taxpayers to pay him a salary to which he was not entitled, while he continues to allow his officers to detain, arrest and prosecute law-abiding citizens for lawful conduct, such as open carrying in Philadelphia where the individual has valid license to carry firearms, there is an extreme disconnect that requires immediate attention and investigation,” he told Gun Rights Examiner.

“Further compounding this situation is the close relationship between the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office, which is obligated to investigate and prosecute criminal activity, and the Philadelphia Police Department. It would appear that District Attorney Williams' disregard of my letter requesting investigation into these matters and his failure…to respond accurately reflects the conflict in this matter, requiring the Pennsylvania Attorney General to intervene and take control of the investigation,” Prince said. “The citizens of Philadelphia have a right to return of his salary, if he was not MPOETC certified at the time of receipt, and the citizens of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania have a right to see him prosecuted for all criminal acts, including open carrying of a firearm in a city of the first class, if he did not have a valid license to carry firearms at the time and was not MPOETC certified.”
    I brought this to Dave's attention back in April. Glad to see he is still following it.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/is-u...d-break-us-for
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Requests to investigate anti-gun Philly top cop’s ‘gun crimes’ ignored

Pardon my ignorance but, how does one become the Police Chief without having been a certified law enforcement officer???
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Requests to investigate anti-gun Philly top cop’s ‘gun crimes’ ignored

<insert shocked face here>

The philly DA, Seth Williams ignoring a request to prosecute? I'm shocked, I tells ya.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but, how does one become the Police Chief without having been a certified law enforcement officer???
    And this is one reason why Law Enforcement is not truly a Professional Profession!

Each state has their own qualifications and standards to be a police officer and issue a state certificate or qualification or certification.

No state has 100% reciprocity with another. Unlike true professional careers, LE lacks state to state recognition of training and certifications.

One can apply for and recieve certification in another state as long as the individual applying meets that states criteria, if not, back to the basic academy again. Pretty simple.

Lawyer, leave state A and move to State B, yup, redo law school. Medical Doctor, yup, you guessed it, need to go back through med school. Accountant, same deal.

So yeah see, how can one truly be in a professional career field when one can't even go from state to state and transfer your credentials?

CL

(Montgomery County)

He had previous certifications when he took the job. Once he was hired he was supposed to comply with PA's requirements.
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

(Northampton County)

Well, I'm shocked . I wonder if the DAs would get moving if he could somehow be tied to these shenanigans or for "covering them up". IANAL, and I'm not sure how this could be done, but it would be interesting to watch.

(Philadelphia County)

Call me cynical but once again nothing is going to be done and those in charge continue to get away with their crimes.

To bad the state DA has no balls.

(Bucks County)

You don't need a law enforcement background to be a County Sheriff either. Just political connections.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    And this is one reason why Law Enforcement is not truly a Professional Profession!

Each state has their own qualifications and standards to be a police officer and issue a state certificate or qualification or certification.

No state has 100% reciprocity with another. Unlike true professional careers, LE lacks state to state recognition of training and certifications.

One can apply for and recieve certification in another state as long as the individual applying meets that states criteria, if not, back to the basic academy again. Pretty simple.

Lawyer, leave state A and move to State B, yup, redo law school. Medical Doctor, yup, you guessed it, need to go back through med school. Accountant, same deal.

So yeah see, how can one truly be in a professional career field when one can't even go from state to state and transfer your credentials?

CL

Doctors, Lawyers and Accountants do NOT have to redo their training when they shift from state to state. Neither do police officers, paramedics or firefighters in most cases. It is handled via reciprocity agreements. Where you got the idea that doctors, lawyers and accountants have to redo their training its beyond me. But no matter where you got the information you are most certainly wrong!!!
    MOLON LABE

(Susquehanna County)

Maybe it is my ignorance. But a Police COMMISSIONER is a civilian political appointee and not usually a sworn officer whereas a Police Chief is almost always a sworn officer. In most cities these are two different posts. Is Philly different?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast