Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default What Optics for my new AR?

I want to put some kind of optics on my Stag Arms AR. I'm not sure whether to go with a holographic sight like Eotech or a nice scope. There is a Nikon that I looked at that works will with my AR. Or, there are a number of Red Dots. I saw on here where someone recommended Millett Red Dot Sights.

I've got almost 63 years old eyes. I have a number of prescription glasses I can use to find the right pair of glasses. Now I want to be able to see a 1 inch dot at 100 yards. My current iron sights make a 100 yard, 1 inch shot difficult for me

What do you recommend and why? Thank you!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: What Optics for my new AR?

If I were you I would go with a 1-4x scope that way you can use it like a red dot on 1x and then when you want to tighten those groups you can go to 4x. If I had the money I would go with one of those trijicon accupoints.

(Montgomery County)

I've been doing alot of research on optics lately too, mostly Aimpoints. If you just want your AR to shoot tight groups at 100 yards and beyond then you may want to look into something with some magnification. You could also get a red dot sight with a 2 moa dot. I currently have a Aimpoint micro t1 that is 2 moa and I'm looking at an Aimpoint Comp ML3 right now in a 4moa. My eyes suck too and I feel the 4 moa would be a little quicker to pick up for CQB stuff and in bright sunlight. Although it is very precise, I find the 2 moa dot to not be as easy to pick up sometimes unless turned up in brightness at which point it kind of "blooms" and is too bright.

I don't see the point in buying Eotech, they have scary reviews of battery failures, etc. Besides they're heavier and I like to keep my carbines as light as possible. All depends on what your uses for your AR are for i guess. Thats just my opinion though for me. Many people love and swear by eotechs. YMMV
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

(Allegheny County)

I have a Trijicon ACOG on mine. Well worth every penny and my eyes aren't the best. I have problems seeing things clearly far away. I can look through without glasses and see things pretty good
    I dislike the diamond commercials, give me something useful like guns, ammo or cookware.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by glock19girl View Post
    I have a Trijicon ACOG on mine. Well worth every penny and my eyes aren't the best. I have problems seeing things clearly far away. I can look through without glasses and see things pretty good
    Which model are you using?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BobFromBucks View Post
    Which model are you using?
    This one. We did a night shoot a few weeks ago and the glowing reticle helped. My friend borrowed my rifle to shoot some targets at 100 yard and
    said it was much easier to see with the ACOG
    http://www.militarywarfighter.com/Tr...jicon-ta01.htm
    I dislike the diamond commercials, give me something useful like guns, ammo or cookware.

(Bucks County)

This one. We did a night shoot a few weeks ago and the glowing reticle helped. My friend borrowed my rifle to shoot some targets at 100 yard and
    said it was much easier to see with the ACOG
    http://www.militarywarfighter.com/Tr...jicon-ta01.htm
    Thank you. I'd love to try one out. I'm going to ask around at the club I belong to as I'm sure someone has one. They are pricey so trying it and making sure I have the right mounts, etc. would be important.

They also have the ACOG 4x32 which was supposedly made for .223 rifles. Best price I found is still over $1000.

(Allegheny County)

Thank you. I'd love to try one out. I'm going to ask around at the club I belong to as I'm sure someone has one. They are pricey so trying it and making sure I have the right mounts, etc. would be important.

They also have the ACOG 4x32 which was supposedly made for .223 rifles. Best price I found is still over $1000.
    Well if you were closer I'd let you try mine out. Mine was actually a gift from boyfriend. I know nice gift . I've had mine up at my range and one of the local police officers came over and asked to try it. He said he now had one on his want list.

(Bucks County)

Well if you were closer I'd let you try mine out. Mine was actually a gift from boyfriend. I know nice gift . I've had mine up at my range and one of the local police officers came over and asked to try it. He said he now had one on his want list.
    I lived there for 20+ years. Was just back to see my son and granddaughters. I appreciate the offer but I have no idea of my next trip back and I'm sure someone will have one of the models that I can try.

Amazing the money you can tie up in optics. But, having been a professional photographer at one time, I can appreciate the difference in glass.

(Allegheny County)

I lived there for 20+ years. Was just back to see my son and granddaughters. I appreciate the offer but I have no idea of my next trip back and I'm sure someone will have one of the models that I can try.

Amazing the money you can tie up in optics. But, having been a professional photographer at one time, I can appreciate the difference in glass.
    LOL I was working for a professional photographer and do freelance work. So yea I can totally understand that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast