Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: What Optics for my new AR?

Here is a video that shows the Nikon M223 scopes. Not as pricey and something I might also consider.

(Lehigh County)

Bob,
    I own one of those Nikkon M-223 in 2-8 power and I absolutely love it. It is a very good value for the money. My wife's Ruger 10/22 has the rimfire version of the same scope with the bullet drop compensator reticle that had multiple reticles for 50, 75, 100, and 150 yards respectively. I chose the Nikoplex reticle for my AR scope for a bit faster acquisition. Sight in at 100 yards and you can use the turret presets all the way out to 600 yards. I live just north of Quakertown, so if you would like to see one first hand, hit me up.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BobFromBucks View Post
    I want to put some kind of optics on my Stag Arms AR. I'm not sure whether to go with a holographic sight like Eotech or a nice scope. There is a Nikon that I looked at that works will with my AR. Or, there are a number of Red Dots. I saw on here where someone recommended Millett Red Dot Sights.

I've got almost 63 years old eyes. I have a number of prescription glasses I can use to find the right pair of glasses. Now I want to be able to see a 1 inch dot at 100 yards. My current iron sights make a 100 yard, 1 inch shot difficult for me

What do you recommend and why? Thank you!
    I just put on an Eotech EXPS. I handled them and Aimpoint T1 and found the larger viewing area on Eotech was better for me than the smaller 20mm Aimpoint tube. I'm also left eye dominant but shoot right handed so I think that factored in my preference. It's great for shooting at 25 and 50 yards including off-hand. 100 yards from bench is ok but having magnification at that range would really help.

I'm thinking about a 1-4 scope for the times I may want to shoot further out. Gotta start saving the Cabelas $'s...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by spaideas View Post
    Bob,
    I own one of those Nikkon M-223 in 2-8 power and I absolutely love it. It is a very good value for the money. My wife's Ruger 10/22 has the rimfire version of the same scope with the bullet drop compensator reticle that had multiple reticles for 50, 75, 100, and 150 yards respectively. I chose the Nikoplex reticle for my AR scope for a bit faster acquisition. Sight in at 100 yards and you can use the turret presets all the way out to 600 yards. I live just north of Quakertown, so if you would like to see one first hand, hit me up.

Rick
    Thank you, Rick, for the kind offer. I may take you up on it once I decide on what I'm going to do. Nikon also has another model (it's in the video I posted) that is a little more money but instead of bullet drop compensator marks, you just dial in your distance.

Where do you do your shooting?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Palerider View Post
    I just put on an Eotech EXPS. It's great for shooting at 25 and 50 yards including off-hand. 100 yards from bench is ok but having magnification at that range would really help.

I'm thinking about a 1-4 scope for the times I may want to shoot further out. Gotta start saving the Cabelas $'s...
    Good information about 100 yards and out needing the magnifier. That's why I'm leaning towards a scope. I don't know if you use Amazon but I find some of my best deals on there when I can't find them locally. I'm a Prime member so I get free second day shipping on most of my purchases.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by BobFromBucks View Post
    Good information about 100 yards and out needing the magnifier. That's why I'm leaning towards a scope. I don't know if you use Amazon but I find some of my best deals on there when I can't find them locally. I'm a Prime member so I get free second day shipping on most of my purchases.
    Whichever way you wind up going get a quick disconnect mount then down the road you can get other optics and switch between them. If you aren't planning on doing any kind of close range shooting I would highly recommend the scope given what you have said about your vision. I've never worn glasses in my life, but over the last couple years I have noticed a decline in my vision. This last year in particular has been a wake up call for me, as I am really noticing an impact on my shooting starting around 50 yards with red dots. With my Aimpoint Micro even on a bench I have a hell of a time getting my shots lined up with the great big red blur in the tube. It seems my groups are around 3", sometimes 4". If I switch over to my scoped AR I can shoot half inch groups, but still notice things are a bit fuzzy while getting all setup.
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

(Lehigh County)

Bob,
    The model I have on my AR is the one where you dial in the distance. I liked the bullet drop model on my wife's, but found the reticle a bit cluttered for my liking. I usually shoot at Ridge and Valley in Coopersburg. I also have an Eo-tech clone on my 15/22 that you can check out. It's just a .22 but all the controls are the same as my AR and the furniture is the same.

Rick

(Lehigh County)

Bob,
    The model I have on my AR is the one where you dial in the distance. I liked the bullet drop model on my wife's, but found the reticle a bit cluttered for my liking. I usually shoot at Ridge and Valley in Coopersburg. I also have an Eo-tech clone on my 15/22 that you can check out. It's just a .22 but all the controls are the same as my AR and the furniture is the same.

Rick

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by csmith View Post
    Whichever way you wind up going get a quick disconnect mount then down the road you can get other optics and switch between them.
    Great suggestion. Hadn't thought of that since the AR is so new to me but it sure makes sense. Thank you.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by csmith View Post
    Whichever way you wind up going get a quick disconnect mount then down the road you can get other optics and switch between them. If you aren't planning on doing any kind of close range shooting I would highly recommend the scope given what you have said about your vision. I've never worn glasses in my life, but over the last couple years I have noticed a decline in my vision. This last year in particular has been a wake up call for me, as I am really noticing an impact on my shooting starting around 50 yards with red dots. With my Aimpoint Micro even on a bench I have a hell of a time getting my shots lined up with the great big red blur in the tube. It seems my groups are around 3", sometimes 4". If I switch over to my scoped AR I can shoot half inch groups, but still notice things are a bit fuzzy while getting all setup.
    +1 on the quick release. The EXPS Eotech series has them integral to the unit. It also lifts it so if you have a fixed front sight it sites in the lower 1/3 of the tube. (Lower 1/3 co-witness). Eotech claims 2 MOA return, I haven't tested it yet.

The older aimpoints had 4 MOA dots and that's fairly big at distances. I think the Eotech center dot is 1 MOA surrounded by a 65 MOA ring. You can get the aimpoint micros in 2 MOA now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast