Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default fathers handguns in nj

Ok so here's the story, my dads 48 and he owns 3 handguns, now he suffers from memory loss so he doesn't completey remember where he got them or how, there is one he says he will never forget how he received it, he's girlfriend took him to a gun dealer and told him to pick any handgun he wants and she'll buy it for him so that's how he got one of them he thinks it was when he was 20 which could be since he got married at 22, the others he can't remember but he thinks one of his brothers gave him one them years ago before he went to prison (my uncle not my dad)

Anyways he has no use for them anymore and wants to give them all to me but how will we go about doing that, my father says he doesn't remember any kind of purchase permit back then, so if I wanted to receive them do I have to fill out a purchase permit for each one even if there wasn't one when he received them and if I do does that mean I can't gain ownership under all of them till 3 months since nj has that stupid one handgun a month law, is there anyway he can give them all to me as a gift without switching ownership?

All and any help is appreciated

(Monroe County)

Default Re: fathers handguns in nj

You would need to have a NJ firearms ID card first. Since pistols are involved I am pretty damn sure you need a purchase permit for each one. Having grown-up in that crappy State, I figure that it will take quite a while before you get everything. Call Jim Flynn 908-537-6446. He is a well respected FFL near Clinton, NJ. He will have a better grasp on the goings-on of your State.

P.S. Move as soon as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by spblademaker View Post
    You would need to have a NJ firearms ID card first.
    Not true - you can apply for and receive handgun purchase permits without having an FPID. That being said, the application process is the same, so it's a simple matter of checking the FPID box, and paying the $5 fee, while also checking the handgun permits purchase box for three permits (@ $2 each) and getting both (the FPID is good for as long as you are at the issued address).

The purchase permits are good for 90 days and, at the discretion of the CLEO of the issuing authority, extendable for an additional 90 days (max 180 days from date of issuance). Check with the PD to make sure they will extend - not all do.

If this will be your first application for either FPID or purchase permits you will need to be fingerprinted. If you have your FPID or have previously been issued purchase permits, then only a non-criminal background check needs to be done ($18 for the check vs. $60+ for fingerprinting).

You can either choose to do it one gun at a time, allowing 30 days to lapse between purchases, or you can apply for a multiple handgun purchase exemption (forms SP-015 and SP-016) and use the "collector" reason.

HTH.

This really should have been asked and answered on a NJ forum. I apologize for taking up free America's time with our problems.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

I already have my fid card and I have a pistol purchase permit that I was going to use to buy a brand new pistol, I also want my fathers pistols and it seems a pain to have to wait 3 months to acquire them all plus the actual waiting period to get the permit

Quote Originally Posted by darkhunter View Post
    I already have my fid card and I have a pistol purchase permit that I was going to use to buy a brand new pistol, I also want my fathers pistols and it seems a pain to have to wait 3 months to acquire them all plus the actual waiting period to get the permit
    You can still go ahead and purchase the one handgun for which your one permit was intended. In the meantime apply for three more purchase permits and file for a multiple purchase exemption. The multiple purchase exemption works outside the 30 day window, so if, by some stretch of the imagination, you would actually get your three permits and the exemption granted before 30 days lapsed, you could still go ahead and get the three guns from your father. You need to get an FFL on board in order to start the exemption process as their info is required on the forms. Go to the NJSP website and download the SP-015 and SP-016 forms and you may as well download the STS-033 (application for permits) and the SP-066 (mental health check) while you're at it. The 212A (background check) can only be had from your issuing PD.

Good luck. I'd suggest you go to the NJ Gun Forum board for any further info you require, rather than boring the people living in Free America.

Again, my apologies to the board, but I'm sure that you find all these hoops we have to jump through rather amusing (and sad).

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but all that bullshit just to get three handguns gifted to the OP? Holy shit, I knew NJ was fucked up but dang gone!!!

CL

(Chester County)

FWIW, once the permit to purchase (PPP) is in hand no FFL is required - NJ allows private handgun sales between individuals. The son ('buyer') gives Dad ("seller') the PPP who then fills out the forms and distribute them according to:

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.8
    (b) A permit to purchase a handgun shall be issued to the applicant in quadruplicate. Prior to receiving a handgun from the seller, the purchaser must deliver all copies of the permit to the seller, who shall complete all of the information on the required form. Within five days of the sale the seller shall forward the original copy to the Superintendent and the second copy to the chief of police of the municipality where the purchaser resides; provided that in a municipality having no chief of police, the second copy shall be forwarded to the Superintendent. The third copy shall be returned to the purchaser, and the fourth shall be kept by the seller as a permanent record.
    As has been indicated, you need authorization from the NJSP to receive more than one handgun a month. You must demonstrate a 'need' for your exemption. Whether 'collector' would be justifiable may be tenuous. From the SP-015:

Collector of handguns with a need to purchase or otherwise receive multiple handguns in the same transaction or within a 30-day period in furtherance of the applicant's collecting activities. "Need" shall include, but not be limited to, situations where there is a reasonable likelihood that the additional handguns sought to be purchased would not be readily available after the 30-day period, that it would not be feasible or practical to purchase the handguns separately, or that prohibiting the purchase of more than one handgun within a 30-day period would have a materially adverse impact on the applicant's ability to enhance his collection. A "collector" shall include any person who devotes time and attention to acquiring firearms for the enhancement of the person's collection: as curios; for inheritance; for historical, investment, training and competitive, recreational, educational, scientific, or defensive purposes; or any or other lawful related purpose.

Again, no need to involve an FFL on the multiple gun purchase, just need 3 PPPs and NJSP authorization before Dad can proceed with a multi-gun transfer.

You're no boring people here with NJ questions for they just make use realize how much better we have it west of the Delaware River.
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    FWIW, once the permit to purchase (PPP) is in hand no FFL is required - NJ allows private handgun sales between individuals. The son ('buyer') gives Dad ("seller') the PPP who then fills out the forms and distribute them according to:

As has been indicated, you need authorization from the NJSP to receive more than one handgun a month. You must demonstrate a 'need' for your exemption. Whether 'collector' would be justifiable may be tenuous. From the SP-015:

Again, no need to involve an FFL on the multiple gun purchase, just need 3 PPPs and NJSP authorization before Dad can proceed with a multi-gun transfer.

You're no boring people here with NJ questions for they just make use realize how much better we have it west of the Delaware River.
    That's true I just heard getting an ffl involved makes things a lot easier as in they take care of all the paper work like sending it to the state and local police, but anyways I doubt im going to get that exemption since I don't have a need and also since my dad owns them the handguns aren't going anywhere so I can't say they'll be gone in a month lol