Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 AR Review

Like many of you I tried the 22LR AR conversion kits but found they have a few drawbacks: the diameter of the 22LR bullet in a 5.56 chambered AR leaves something to be desired in the accuracy department, reliability is spotty depending on the rifle/ammo, and if you fire enough rounds through your converted AR the gas tube can become somewhat clogged (a couple 5.56 rounds quickly rectifies the problem but just noting it for those that may be unaware).

Due to the reasons above, I started my search for a dedicated 22LR upper but found that most were pretty close in price to some of the dedicated 22LR ARs on the market. So rather than just having a dedicated upper, I just went for it and got the M&P 15-22. I've been glad I did ever since.

Here's a quick run-down of the pros/cons of the rifle:

Pros:
    -All controls function just like the AR platform making weapon manipulation drills realistic
    -Comes with a 25 round mag that's easy to load. Spare mags are reasonably priced ($20-25 most places)
    -Stock and grip are interchangeable with common AR accessories if you want to swap them out
    -Has been 100% reliable with the recommended ammo
    -Is more accurate than conversion kits
    -Comes standard with a polymer 1913 rail for adding accessories
    -Good sights; rear sight is dual aperture
    -Uses a proven operating design (very similar in function to the 22/45 pistols by Ruger)
    -Cost. The rifle can be had for under $400 most places and every 500 rounds you're saving over $100 in ammo cost vs the 223/5.56 platform
    -Barrel is made of carbon steel
    -Weight. The rifle weighs 5.5lbs
    -Has a case deflector to keep brass out of the face of left handed shooters

Cons:
    -Cost. I know it was a pro as well but buying a complete gun for around $400 is still more than a $120-150 conversion kit would be
    -The upper/lower aren't interchangeable with other mil-spec AR uppers/lowers. I don't think it's a big deal but more versatility is better than less in my opinion
    -While the polymer seems durable thus far, it's still polymer not aluminum/steel

Here's a video of my wife and I running a few rounds thought it followed by a demonstration of disassembly/assembly procedures and a discussion of the pros/cons of the rifle:

In summary, this gun is a winner for Smith & Wesson. Compared to its' competitors it's a more realistic training rifle for the AR platform that performs well in all areas. Reliability is great, cleaning is a breeze, and new shooters will love this rifle.

(York County)

Default Re: Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 AR Review

I couldn't agree more...I bought one over the summer and have about 500 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity through it so far without a jam. I recently took off the iron sites and put a 3-9 scope on it to try to stretch the gun out to 150 yards. It still held a great group, given the drop you'd expect with a .22.
    Guns only have two enemies: rust and politicians.

(Northampton County)

Ive had mine for 2-3 years now, I have well over 5,000 rounds thru it. As long as you load the mags without pulling down the follower, it has no issues outside of sub-sonic ammo. I barely clean the rifle at all and it still functions flawlessly. I did replace the buttstock, but that was just preference in appearance for me.

(Butler County)

love mine, i have the threaded barrel just in case i ever decide to buy a suppressor. i have a slidefire stock for it, but i have to swap out some springs from what ive read.

(Lackawanna County)

My mom calls this rifle "my rifle". She usually puts 200 rounds every time I bring her with me.

(Lehigh County)

Federal Bulk Pack (Walmart), although not in the list, works great with that rifle too. I have the MOE version.

I love mine, and, have never had a problem with any and all ammo I have fed it, right now I am putting CCI stingers through it, and, it just keeps on going and going and going

Last edited by jpl2407; October 19th, 2012 at 09:10 AM.

(York County)

i have a few of the armi jaeger ap74 that were built in the 80's. totally reliable.

(Lackawanna County)

I order CCI AR Tactical .22lr when they on sale. Usually at 4 cents per round.

(Pike County)

It's an awesome weapon. The 15-22 was the first firearm I ever purchased, in fact I bought it just a few months after release. It had some teething issues (Early Recoil springs sucked) but after the return it worked great. I also have issues with loading more than 20 rounds in 25 round magazines (Doesn't feed right) but it never really bothered me, it might just be those magazines. I am in the process of doing the Flat Dark Earth updates to it and adding a Primary Arms red dot to it next year. When I take new shooters out it is one of their favorite weapons to shoot.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; October 21st, 2012 at 01:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast