Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default 1873 Springfield Trapdoor Question

I recently have gotten a 1873 Springfield Trapdoor which seems to be in pretty decent shape and all original - serial #23xxx which should mean that it was made in 1874. The question is: Does the firing pin use a spring or does it just free float? I have found conflicting information. One person has told me that it does not have a spring and when a cartridge is inserted into the chamber and the breech is closed the pin will be in position to be struck by the hammer, and also that this is completely safe and no danger of a slam fire. However I have also seen firing pins for a trapdoor online that state they are for use with a spring. Is there perhaps more than one design and both answers are correct? Any help I get on this question would be appreciated. Thank you

(York County)

Default Re: 1873 Springfield Trapdoor Question

None of my US Springfield "trapdoors" has a firing pin spring (I own 6). Basically it is a part that is not needed. The army felt that it did not add to the safety of the design, but could break and cause the firing pin to jam.

Remember this is a single shot and you never load it with hammer down. The hammer has several click positions. Usually you'd keep the gun on 1/4 cock if you had a round chambered, pulling it to full cock when ready to fire.