Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: LWTA in McKean

(Warren County)

Default LWTA in McKean

Does anyone have experience with the handgun training offered at the LWTA in McKean?

I'm getting back into shooting after selling my guns several years ago.

Any idea on a good dealer to pick up a used handgun? Think of a Walther 22 for target and a PPK to carry?

Was thinking of another Ruger 9mm but it was a bit bulky to conceal. Suggestions?

(Erie County)

Default Re: LWTA IN MckEAN

Quote Originally Posted by Twinbin View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the handgun training offered at the LWTA in McKean?

Any idea on a good dealer to pick up a used handgun? Think of a Walther 22 for target and a PPK to carry?

Was thinking of another Ruger 9mm but it was a bit bulky to conceal. Suggestions?
    I assume you're referring to Bob McDowell's Leathal Weapons Training Academy. I've taken his Handgun 101 and 201 classes, and they were well presented, hands on, and very informative. Bob's Gun Shop is probably the place to pick up the Walther 22 and ppk. I think he has a used p22 in there right now, in fact.

A PPK is going to be a lot easier to conceal as it's smaller, but it's a .380 so there's less stopping power.

(Warren County)

Thanks for the reply, his website was very informative and the classes appeared to be quite interesting.

That's what I thought about the .380, what's suggested as a "typical" carry weapon? My ruger wasn't really heavy, but did stick out a bit, which, is no big deal I guess in most instances. I would like to have something that is sensible...

Is his shop located between Erie and Edinboro? Any idea what the hours are? Phone?

(Erie County)

Thanks for the reply, his website was very informative and the classes appeared to be quite interesting.

That's what I thought about the .380, what's suggested as a "typical" carry weapon? My ruger wasn't really heavy, but did stick out a bit, which, is no big deal I guess in most instances. I would like to have something that is sensible...

Is his shop located between Erie and Edinboro? Any idea what the hours are? Phone?
    The classes are very interesting. There are a lot of folks who take them every year because they're so entertaining and enjoyable.

My main firearm is a HK P2000 in 9MM. If they made it in a .45, I'd have that instead.

Check out This Thread for more info about LWTA and Bob's Gun Shop.

Welcome to the forums, btw!
    Last edited by doug; December 11th, 2006 at 02:38 AM.

(Erie County)

Default Re: LWTA in McKean

Bob has a new P22 for $269 last time I check (about a month ago). Didn't check for any used ones. I got my on Gunbroker for $224 shipped plus $30 to Bob for the transfer fee, no sales tax.

Remember in PA you don't need a safety class to get a LTC/CCW, in case that was your main your reason taking a class.

This is one of my carry options. A Polish P64. It's a clone of a PPK, only difference is that the mag release is on the bottom of the gun. I believe Bob has a couple of these in stock. Want to say somewhere in the $160-180 range. They are surplus guns so obviously are inexpensive. Works great for me, haven't had a malfunction yet with roughly 700+ rounds through it. It's chambered in 9x18 which is almost identical to a .380. Ammo is normally a bit cheaper than .380.

(Erie County)

Welcome Twinbin ...and Good Luck!! I've taken classes at Bob's and have bought several pistols from him. He is top-notch.

(Warren County)

Anyone have experience with HighPoint firearms made in OH?

Inexpensive, curious of they're a good target pistol?

I'm going to try and run over to Bob's this week-end for look around.

(Warren County)

I have my permit from a few years ago, had to sell my guns some time ago - bills!
    Kept my permit renewed and current.

Was looking at the class to have proper instruction, sort of "winged" it on my own.

(Erie County)

LWTA just rolled out a new website designed by yours truly. check it out.

http://lethalweaponstraining.com/

(Erie County)

Good job. That looks alot nicer than the old one.