Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Moving to Montana, transporting my guns?

Hi all, long time no talk. If anyone remembers me I was debating buying an XDM 9mm or my brother's .45 kimber pro carry II. Well, I bought the XDM then recently my brother sold me the Kimber for what it cost him (which was about half what it was worth.)

Anyway, I'm driving out to Montana in the next few weeks and I was wondering if I needed to do anything when transporting my guns.

I was simply going to lock both the guns with cable locks, put them in their cases in the trunk of the car and keep the ammo in another car (I'm driving 2 cars out).

I don't know the legality of doing that, hence why I'm here asking. From what I know it's legal for me to drive my guns to the range and back, but no where else (since I don't have a CC permit.) I think there are exceptions when you're moving though.

Montana, of course, is very lax on their gun laws. I don't think there are enough people there to care about the laws.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Moving to Montana, transporting my guns?

Doing as you propose is more than necessary to have FOPA protections. You will be legal all the way.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

The way you describe how you are going to transport them will be fine. Since you are moving, you are covered by federal law (unless going through NJ or NY). Montana is a fine state "Big Sky Country". Lots of opportunities for outdoor sports.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

You'll really enjoy the beer there called Moose Drool.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Allegheny County)

The Firearm Owners Protection Act will allow you to transport the way you described across any state that has strict firearms laws. However this only applies to the firearms and not the magazines or ammo.

You will have to do your research on the states you are traveling through to determine if they have restrictions on magazines or ammo like "hi cap" 10+ magazine or hollow point ammo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm...e.22_provision

Most of these states (NY NJ MD) are in the New England area but make sure you do your research first.

(Schuylkill County)

Are you going to raise a crop of dental floss?

(Butler County)

Great, thanks guys.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    You'll really enjoy the beer there called Moose Drool.

Or the Beltian White haha. Where about in Montana will you be moving? I am currently in Great Falls, MT active duty USAF.
    United States Air Force 2010-2016

(Chester County)

You transport them in accordance with:

18 USC §926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    Pay particular attention to the proviso that you must legally possess and be able to vehicularly transport (aka as 'carry' above) in the state of origin and destination - if you meet all the above 926A provisos you garner a Federal protection as a defense against any firearm laws of states that you pass totally through (IE. intervening states). Caution: if you remove the firearms from the transport methodology (ex: take into the hotel room during an overnight) the state you are in at the time becomes the destination for that leg and, upon resumption of your trip becomes the origin for the next leg. As such you should know that state's laws as it will be deterministic as to whether you garner FOPA 926A protection for any particular leg. If you leave the firearms in the vehicle in 926A transport methodology at all times during the trip then you garner 926A protection for all intervening states in your trip - again you must legally possess and 'vehicularly transport' in your state of origin (PA - which you can assuming you're not prohibited) and MT (check their laws).
    Last edited by tl_3237; July 17th, 2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: sp
    IANAL

(Cumberland County)

Didn't take long for the FZ connotation...I too believe that all dental floss is grown from bushes in Montana. HeHe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast