Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Derringer for deep concealment or backup.

I got to thinking today that a derringer with a moderate caliber , say .38spl might be a decent backup weapon.

I'm looking for some opinions on those who own or have owned them in midrange calibers.

For someone who would carry a 5-shot snubby .38 it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to have something else...or as a backup...backup.

Default Re: Derringer for deep concealment or backup.

they are usually somewhat big, and always heavy. Look into a kel-tec P3AT or something like that, theres ways to deeply conceal them, have an extra mag and be good to go. I've got one just for when I go places where there will be a pat down at the entrance(not talking places off limits by law, just off limits by their policy).

just my opinion of course

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

They're great.......................if you're attacker is 2 feet away and you don't mind getting shot a couple times while you cock it.

Seriously I have shot these 38 derringers and to be quite honest, i'm not quite shure where they would fit into the self defense spectrum. Maybe as the backup to a backup? They are inacurate, only hold 2 shots, suck to shoot, suck to cock the hammer, and in reality are pretty heavy compared to the new alternatives.

I'm shure they'd be good across the card table, or in a hookers purse, but with things like the p-32, seecamp .32 p3at rohbar 9mm the derringers just seem silly.

My personal oppinion you'd be better off with a p32 or p3at.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    they are usually somewhat big, and always heavy. Look into a kel-tec P3AT or something like that, theres ways to deeply conceal them, have an extra mag and be good to go. I've got one just for when I go places where there will be a pat down at the entrance(not talking places off limits by law, just off limits by their policy).

just my opinion of course
    A friend of mine has a P3AT , unfortunately the build quality seems a bit off. I'm also not a big fan of the .380acp.

I'm not knocking Kel-tec I own the sub-2000 in 9mm but for a backup that simply HAS GOT TO WORK any auto loader would be out of the question.

(Pike County)

The p3at is no heavier than many deringers, and it's a 7 shooter. If you want tiny, take a look at a NAA .22 magnum mini revolver. Not bad power for a gun that small. With the grip design, most deringers with any power are a problem to shoot.
    Last edited by gf45acp; February 26th, 2008 at 09:07 PM.

(Butler County)

don't write off all autoloaders. I mean this technology has been around since the 1900's. The kel-tecs are fine little pistols.

check into the seecamps. very small

I understand you want a .38 you can share ammo and stuff. but i'm justsaying I don't like those little derringers at all.

I'm not trying to under-gun you but have you considered the .22 mag NAA mini-revolvers?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by p-11 shooter View Post
    They're great.......................if you're attacker is 2 feet away and you don't mind getting shot a couple times while you cock it.

Seriously I have shot these 38 derringers and to be quite honest, i'm not quite shure where they would fit into the self defense spectrum. Maybe as the backup to a backup? They are inacurate, only hold 2 shots, suck to shoot, suck to cock the hammer, and in reality are pretty heavy compared to the new alternatives.

I'm shure they'd be good across the card table, or in a hookers purse, but with things like the p-32, seecamp .32 p3at rohbar 9mm the derringers just seem silly.

My personal oppinion you'd be better off with a p32 or p3at.
    Maybe I've got a little too much money for my own good to contemplate these things.

For short barreled weapons I've heard that the .38 spl out performs the 9mm. Like I said this would simply be a backup or a backup to a backup.

Maybe I'm just trying to justify a purchase

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by p-11 shooter View Post
    don't write off all autoloaders. I mean this technology has been around since the 1900's. The kel-tecs are fine little pistols.

check into the seecamps. very small

I understand you want a .38 you can share ammo and stuff. but i'm justsaying I don't like those little derringers at all.

I'm not trying to under-gun you but have you considered the .22 mag NAA mini-revolvers?

The NAA revolvers , don't they have a similar single action cocking method to the derringer?

Quote Originally Posted by DEvineWYnd View Post
    I'm not knocking Kel-tec I own the sub-2000 in 9mm but for a backup that simply HAS GOT TO WORK any auto loader would be out of the question.
    So your saying automatic handguns aren't reliable?

(Butler County)

any back up gun is going to be underpowered. ths is the nature of pistols.

You said you want a gun you can trust.

If I had to carry a little gun I trust I would trust my life to a p3at WAY more than those stupid derringers.

We can argue about who's got the bigest bulllet all day long and it don't mean dick if you don't hit what you're aiming at. With the derringer you got 2 shots, have to cock it each time, AND hit what you're aiming at under stress.

You can say the .380 is a pussy round but i'd take you on in a duel with a p3at and put 7 into you while you struggle with an inadequate gun.

size of the bullet don't mean shit if you can't hit with it.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast