Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default My first 1911...Citadel Compact

I picked up my Citadel 1911 Compact (3.5" barrel) yesterday. I came literally soaked in oil. You could not even touch the outside of the gun without getting a handful of oil.

The first thing I did was field strip the gun and I degreased the pistol. I then used gun grease to oil the gun. After the strip and clean the operation of the gun seamed much smoother so I took it to the range today to try it out.

Now this is my first 1911 and the only other pistol I own is a S&W M&P Shield so I am very new to the platform. This was the first time I fired this style of pistol. I am also not an accomplished shooter.

I would like to note that other reviews I read about this gun were mostly positive, especially given the price point ($519). Some of the negatives I heard was that it was very picky about ammo, especially personal defense hollow points.

I am happy to say that the pistol functioned well with both kinds of ammo I put through it today. The first rounds I used were Hornady Critical Defense 185gr. I put 14 rounds through it (too expensive to shoot a couple boxes of it). The first round I put within an inch of dead center at 15 yards. The rest of these were all about 8" from center at 15 yards.

I then switched to Federal 230gr FMJ and put 100 rounds through it with a single hiccup. I am not exactly sure what happened but maybe a more experienced person can help me figure this out. On the last round of probably my 3rd magazine (7rd capacity per mag) the final round fired but got stuck and did not extract properly. It seemed to get wedged between the slide and the top of the magazine. It was easily removed and was the last round of the magazine. I attributed this more to the break in period of the gun than anything else.

With the Federal FMJ I was not quite as accurate but what I would call "combat accurate." If my life was in jeopardy the person attacking me would definitely not be happy.

All in all I am comfortable with this pistol. It may get some carry time when the seasons change and I can more easily conceal it under heavier clothing.

I am super happy with my purchase at $519. Also note that the gun could have been had at $494 from a different supplier to my FFL but they were completely out of stock. I got the final Citadel Compact in stock from any supplier so I am not sure when more would be due in so I ordered it because I wanted it.

If you have the itch for a first 1911 or just a 1911 to beat around, this may be the ticket.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: My first 1911...Citadel Compact

And I should also note that the Parkerized finish is just "okay." Not a deal breaker by any means but after 100 rounds and setting the gun down on the table to reload you can tell that the gun will eventually need to be refinished down the road.

Citadel makes a nice gun. I have the full size one and have not had a bit of trouble with it.
    Your FTE could be because it's new and it could have happened anytime. See what it does after 500 rounds and a few cleanings. Enjoy.

(Lancaster County)

I was at my local shop this last weekend and I saw someone purchasing one. It was covered in oil, too. While I didn't handle the weapon, I have to say that I was pretty impressed with the Citadel. For the price it's a decent gun. I'm looking at getting a compact 1911 and I would consider the Citadel.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by jkoons View Post
    I was at my local shop this last weekend and I saw someone purchasing one. It was covered in oil, too. While I didn't handle the weapon, I have to say that I was pretty impressed with the Citadel. For the price it's a decent gun. I'm looking at getting a compact 1911 and I would consider the Citadel.
    I like it so much now I am going to customize it. I am going to get a custom Cerakote finish on it due to the just "okay" parkerized finish.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    I like it so much now I am going to customize it. I am going to get a custom Cerakote finish on it due to the just "okay" parkerized finish.
    I think I would do the same and maybe some different grips. I am not sure I would go with anything "flashy" with the Cerakote, maybe just black for me. I have to check with my FFL to see if they have one. I've been looking at a lot of compact 1911's and I think for this fist one I don't want to spend all that much on it. I haven't really seen any good deals on used so why not spring for a new one!

I didn't get the chance to handle it, but wanted to know if the slide was tight. I tried a High Standard - a Crusader, I believe - (used) at a gun show and the slide was really loose. It supposedly only had 100 rounds through it. Despite owning other High Standards, I wasn't really impressed.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by jkoons View Post
    I think I would do the same and maybe some different grips. I am not sure I would go with anything "flashy" with the Cerakote, maybe just black for me. I have to check with my FFL to see if they have one. I've been looking at a lot of compact 1911's and I think for this fist one I don't want to spend all that much on it. I haven't really seen any good deals on used so why not spring for a new one!

I didn't get the chance to handle it, but wanted to know if the slide was tight. I tried a High Standard - a Crusader, I believe - (used) at a gun show and the slide was really loose. It supposedly only had 100 rounds through it. Despite owning other High Standards, I wasn't really impressed.
    The slide feels tight on mine.

I am going this route with the Cerakote and grips...
    http://vzgrips.com/img/Grip%20Pics/O.../O2-HB-pop.jpg

(Lehigh County)

nice gun you should post some pics of it
    common sense is a mf

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    The slide feels tight on mine.

I am going this route with the Cerakote and grips...
    http://vzgrips.com/img/Grip%20Pics/O.../O2-HB-pop.jpg
    Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

That look is AWESOME! I like it. I see you are also in Mount Joy. Where are you going to get it coated? And would you have happened to picked that up a Lanco last Saturday?

(Mercer County)

If it were my gun, I would put another 200 to 300 rounds of FMJ through it before I relied on it to save my butt. Every new gun should be thoroughly tested before you carry. Then, put a box of your carry ammo through it, and make sure all the mags work with the carry ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast