Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Some 'dup post' stuff is too much grey area...

Some dup post stuff is too much grey area

I see ChamberedRound is busy in the New section of PAFOA because folks are posting……uhhh……news stories in the news section.

That’s a tough call.

Yeah OK. They’re already talking about it in the Lounge.

But I haven’t yet been closed because of a dup/ I post pistol stuff in the pistol section. OC stuff in the OC area. Lackawanna County related stuff where it belongs. I don’t ever do a forum search for dups because I’m sure I’m posting in the right area.

Were the folks who posted the news stories in the news section in violation of the new rules?

News (1 Viewing)
    The news important and relevant to Pennsylvania Firearm Owners. Submit your headlines today!
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

(Berks County)

Default Re: Some 'dup post' stuff is too much grey area...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in Pennsylvania View Post
    Some dup post stuff is too much grey area

I see ChamberedRound is busy in the New section of PAFOA because folks are posting……uhhh……news stories in the news section.

That’s a tough call.

Yeah OK. They’re already talking about it in the Lounge.

But I haven’t yet been closed because of a dup/ I post pistol stuff in the pistol section. OC stuff in the OC area. Lackawanna County related stuff where it belongs. I don’t ever do a forum search for dups because I’m sure I’m posting in the right area.

Were the folks who posted the news stories in the news section in violation of the new rules?
    Maybe I'm misreading your post, but I don't appreciate the sarcasm.

Dup posts ARE a grey area, and I don't think that's going to change. There are way more users than moderators, and we can't catch all the dupes. However, when we do find one are we supposed to NOT do something about it simply because we can't catch them all? That seems a bit silly. That's why we've asked numerous times for people to do a quick search of the site to make sure the same information isn't being posted multiple times.

Sorry if how I'm handling them bothers you, but dup posts are a huge pet peeve of mine because they cause divergent conversations on the same topic, which is counterproductive. I spend much of my time on the site closing or merging as many threads as I can find. And with the news, it's worse because I'm finding that people are cross-posting simply because the moderators didn't approve the thread fast enough. I have no problem with people posting news to the News forum. Just follow the rules: provide a link to the story, wait for us to approve the post, and don't post it elsewhere. If you feel something is taking too long, send us a PM.

To my knowledge, no one that's posted a duplicate thread so far has violated the site rules or been given a infraction for doing so. I have seen a few cross-posts that could be considered a violation, but because they involved the News forum where special approvals are required, I didn't think any action was necessary.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; February 26th, 2008 at 10:53 PM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Maybe I'm misreading your post, but I don't appreciate the sarcasm.
    Geez, I touched a nerve.
    The mild sarcasm was sorta intentional......but the 'nerve touching' wasn't.

I'm not the least bit bothered by the closed posts as it doesn't/hasn't effected me.
    But dup posting is empasized in the new/old rules.

And like I pointed out....I don't do a forum search to see if an OC topic has been repeated in a forum other than the Concealed & Open Carry forum cuz it just makes sense that an OC topic goes there.

Same with the gents posting the news story in the news forum.....their threads were closed cuz it's repeated in the lounge

The Lounge (25 Viewing)
    Everything off-topic. You can post anything here that doesn't fit elsewhere as long as it's legal.
    Seems to me that the news story in the Lounge was out of place. There IS a place already for the news.

It sort of hard to make that case WITHOUT coming across as sarcastic. I apologize for that.

But sheesh.....It's prolly just me who's confused.
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

(Berks County)

Seems to me that the news story in the Lounge was out of place. There IS a place already for the news.
    I agree, but like I said, we're finding that some people are posting news elsewhere because of the wait to have a thread approved in the Lounge. Dan is working on a process to deal with this, but in the meantime we're trying to keep the threads as organized as possible.

But dup posting is empasized in the new/old rules.
    I just re-read the new rules/infractions:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/rules-129...fractions.html

and as it stands there is no infraction or rule violation for posting dupes. I have made a suggestion to Dan that we add infractions for "Trojan Horse" or "Shadow" posting, as well as cross-posting, but as of now those suggestions are being reviewed and not official. Obviously we want to keep duplicate posting to a minimum, but I don't think duplicate posting should be an infraction, because no matter how hard everyone tries to be vigilant, dupes are bound to happen.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; February 27th, 2008 at 09:00 AM.
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."

-John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Westmoreland County)

I've mentioned before that the News forum should be changed to "Current Events" and made non mod approved. Then we could keep interesting news articles in the Current Event's forum, Gun and Political News in the Pa and National forums and the lounge would be for off topic stuff. But still, no matter how it is set up...there will still be some dups and cross posts. Just my $.02

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post

I have made a suggestion to Dan that we add infractions for "Trojan Horse" or "Shadow" posting, as well as cross-posting, . . . .
    I think you lost me here.

I did a google search on "Trojan Horse Posting" and got three hits. Almost any other combination of "Trojan Horse" in google gets millions of results, mostly about viruses.

What is a "Trojan Horse" or "Shadow" post and are they common on PAFOA?
    Vortex

"The United States is a nation of laws, . . . . badly written and randomly enforced." - generally attributed to Frank Zappa

"Trojan horse posting" appears to be the term around these parts describing a member in good standing posting words presented to him from a member in bad standing.

Not exactly an ability to derail the city...so I'm not sure why they don't just call it "Proxy by person" posting.

(Westmoreland County)

Shadow posting is creating an alternate account for your self and then using it to argue with yourself in a post or any other various, unknown reason! Kind of like shill bidding on ebay. Trojan posting is a active member representing a banned member through the active member's posts. Both are poor forum protocol and could result in banning!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by pex View Post

"Trojan horse posting" appears to be the term around these parts describing a member in good standing posting words presented to him from a member in bad standing.
    Got it. Whatever it's called, the name should be something you can actually find in a search engine.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post

Shadow posting is creating an alternate account for your self and then using it to argue with yourself in a post or any other various, unknown reason!
    That sounds like Sock Puppetry and is already listed as an infraction of the rules. (No warning, 40 points, Expires in 1 month)

If "Shadow Posting" and "Sock Puppetry" are different, I'm still trying to figure out the definition of "Shadow Posting".
    Vortex

"The United States is a nation of laws, . . . . badly written and randomly enforced." - generally attributed to Frank Zappa

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
    Got it. Whatever it's called, the name should be something you can actually find in a search engine.

That sounds like Sock Puppetry and is already listed as an infraction of the rules. (No warning, 40 points, Expires in 1 month)

If "Shadow Posting" and "Sock Puppetry" are different, I'm still trying to figure out the definition of "Shadow Posting".
    I had meant "Shadow Posting" and "Trojan Horse Posting" to be name suggestions for the same infraction, which is a user in good standing posting on behalf of a banned user. So to be clear, the 2 infractions suggested to Dan were:

1. Posting on behalf of a banned user: Trojan Horse or Shadow Posting
    2. Posting the same thread to multiple forums: Cross Posting

It seems that the term Trojan Horse posting was already a commonly accepted name for #1 above, so forget Shadow Posting, it's nothing. And yes, Sock Puppetry is different from both of hte above and already an infraction.

Also, realize that neither of the above are official infractions as of yet. They were suggestions to Dan. Admins and Mods can still close threads and issue timeouts/bans for anything which seems like general abuse of the site, but these 2 violations are not technically part of the infractions system yet.
    -Charlton Heston

-John Quincy Adams

-Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas