Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default OC at shooting range: issues.

Anyone ever have an issue OC at of all places a shooting range? I used to do cowboy action shooting in Jefferson, PA, and one of the things in CAS is that there's a loading table and an unloading table to the sides of each shooting stage. They expect that your firearms are empty when you approach the loading table and leave the unloading table. I stopped doing the cowboy shooting before I started OC, but I have often wondered since then if they would have caused a flap if I reloaded my SAAs at the unloading table for the last stage and OC.

I was wondering if anyone has run into a similar situation where a gun store or shooting range has demanded that your firearms are unloaded for entry or exit from the property. I know that Freedom Armory in Glen Rock, PA gave my friend trouble when he was shopping there and OC. The salesman tried to tell my friend that OC was illegal in PA. He hasn't shopped there since and neither have I.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: OC at shooting range: issues.

Some ranges frown upon open carrying. I've read it on this site before that some ranges have a policy in place that open carry is not permitted. Also, about a year ago I was talking to one of the board members at my range that stated that they don't like when people open carry because it could scare off new members.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Franklin County)

My (private) club requires me to unload my carry piece during any type of organized event I'm participating in. If I'm just there practicing, it's not an issue. Whether the weapon is visible or not isn't really an issue. Of course, if it's concealed, they obviously can't see it, and have been known not to ask if I'm carrying.

(Allegheny County)

At the state game lands, I walk up with my Colt concealed. As soon as I set my bag down, I lift up my shirt and OC. It stays that way until I am finished shooting. NEVER a word from any other shooter or the warden.

There aren't any rules at the public range on OC during shooting so no one should have an issue with it.

(Chester County)

A cold range is pretty much the standard for events like CAS and USPSA.

(Luzerne County)

I just bought myself a range permit for the first time and they list the rules. They say no loaded gun is allowed if you do not intend to fire it, or something along those lines, haha.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by redturbo0 View Post
    I just bought myself a range permit for the first time and they list the rules. They say no loaded gun is allowed if you do not intend to fire it, or something along those lines, haha.
    (b) Prohibited acts. At a rifle and handgun range located on land under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction, except when authorized by the appropriate regional director or a designee, it is unlawful to:

(1) Possess a loaded firearm, except at an established shooting station on the firing line.

(6) Possess, load or discharge a firearm that contains more than three rounds of single projectile ammunition, except as provided in subsection (c).

(8) Possess, load or discharge a firearm for any reason without possessing a valid Pennsylvania hunting or furtaker license or a Commission-issued range permit signed by its holder. This prohibition does not apply to persons 15 years of age or younger or up to one person accompanying another person in possession of a valid Pennsylvania hunting or furtaker license or a Commission-issued range permit.

(c) Exceptions for a handgun range. At a Commission range specifically designated as a handgun range, it is permitted for an individual to load and discharge a handgun containing a maximum of six rounds of single projectile ammunition at any one time. Other rules and regulations pertaining to shooting ranges under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction shall be in effect.
    So technically, you'd have to unload your carry gun at the car, reload it with only six rounds when you get to the firing line, and unload it again before you walk to your car. That's ridiculous.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonK007 View Post
    ... they don't like when people open carry because it could scare off new members.
    At a gun range - where people shoot guns.

Someone's smoking dope, or shooting up peanut butter, or something.

(Luzerne County)

I guess it boils down to preference of whoever runs the club/range, or whoever is running the shoot. At my club I open carry regularly while on the club property, and have done so in front of club officers both on the range and at gatherings in the clubhouse. I happened to be out there on the day of a subgun shoot and spent some time spectating the event while OC, nobody said a word.

I've yet to attend one of their pistol shoots. I'm willing to bet if I were just spectating nobody would say a word, the VP of the club runs the shoots and carries. However, if I were participating I would disarm even without being asked to do so since I would require the use of my holster for the shoot.
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

(Berks County)

I OC every singe time .... I always have one gun I do not shoot that stays holstered and loaded. Bottom line is I don't trust anyone still at the stations/tables when I go to change targets. Especially when I have several firearms out at my station. Call it paranoid if you want but it is better than harsh language .....
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast