Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Snyder County)

Default Uneventful encounter with the state police

Last night I needed some supplies from Lowe's so I headed out and stopped by Sunoco here in Selinsgrove to get some gas before I ran out. I pulled up to the pump, got out and started walking to the store to prepay, where in the corner of my eye I saw a state trooper pull in and stopped at the pump right behind me. At first I wasn't sure if he saw me open carrying or if he truly need gas for his car. Waiting in line to prepay the officer started pumping his gas and his attention was focused on the front of the store. As I walked out of the store he looked at me but didn't say anything. I went about pumping my gas which was the most awkward $20 worth of pumping I ever did because he did keep an eye on me without saying a word. As I finished up pumping I hung up the nozzle I hear...

Mr state trooper say...
    "I see you that you are driving, can I see your license to carry?"
    me: "Sure"... I handed my ltcf which then he looked at it for a minute
    Trooper: handed my ltcf back to me... "thanks"

Honestly I was totally shocked that the first ever encounter with a state trooper went as it should. Hats off to Officer Meng for knowing the law...

Default Re: Uneventful encounter with the state police

Knowing the law? If he knew the law he wouldn't have asked to see your LTCF.

Just saying.

I guess it could have been worse.

Justin
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Centre County)

Yep, could have been worse but he had no reason to ask to see your LTCF. What crime did he suspect you of?

Not picking on you, just asking.

Well he was transporting it in the car. That's pretty clear so I have no problem with this. Either he asks for it now and then goes about his business or he waits for him to start driving and pulls him over if he wanted to see it. Of course it would be better if he just assumed everything was on the up and up.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Shisno View Post
    Well he was transporting it in the car. That's pretty clear so I have no problem with this. Either he asks for it now and then goes about his business or he waits for him to start driving and pulls him over if he wanted to see it. Of course it would be better if he just assumed everything was on the up and up.
    The point is, he had no reason to ask for it whether he asked now or when he started driving.

Justin
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    The point is, he had no reason to ask for it whether he asked now or when he started driving.

Justin
    It's illegal to transport a handgun in the car without a LTCF unless he's going to or from the select locations. Since he was probably traveling alone and filling up his car that gives the officer RAS that the OP has transported the gun in the vehicle. Thus asking for a LTCF was lawful. Unless you have a different take on it, I would like to hear it.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Knowing the law? If he knew the law he wouldn't have asked to see your LTCF.

Just saying.

I guess it could have been worse.

Justin
    No, he asked for the LTCF because he knew the law. Once he entered the vehicle it would be concealed carry. Thus being illegal for an individual without a LTCF.

(Luzerne County)

I love how everyone here thinks "the man" is out the get them... he asked for the license for his protection and the protection of others. Sure he didn't have to ask for the license, but he wanted to make sure everything was kosher... never know if a criminal is open carrying because its legal. Sure it doesn't happen that often I'm sure, but I bet it happens.

The officer was just trying to do his job as cleanly and efficiently as possible. In my opinion he did just that, without any harm.

(Luzerne County)

I love how everyone here thinks "the man" is out the get them... he asked for the license for his protection and the protection of others. Sure he didn't have to ask for the license, but he wanted to make sure everything was kosher... never know if a criminal is open carrying because its legal. Sure it doesn't happen that often I'm sure, but I bet it happens.

The officer was just trying to do his job as cleanly and efficiently as possible. In my opinion he did just that, without any harm.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shisno View Post
    It's illegal to transport a handgun in the car without a LTCF unless he's going to or from the select locations. Since he was probably traveling alone and filling up his car that gives the officer RAS that the OP has transported the gun in the vehicle. Thus asking for a LTCF was lawful. Unless you have a different take on it, I would like to hear it.
    Unless there is RAS that a crime is being commited, the officer has no right aside to create a "mere encounter" I believe they call it. He can ask for anything he wants, but you don't have to give it to him.

Quote Originally Posted by redturbo0 View Post
    No, he asked for the LTCF because he knew the law. Once he entered the vehicle it would be concealed carry. Thus being illegal for an individual without a LTCF.
    Not even close. This has discussed many times.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast