Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: About New Jersey and Transporting/Carrying To PA

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Here in the Lehigh Valley there are boatloads of people that shoot at Phillipsburg Pistol Club. If all the rhetoric and BS was true all the police would have to do is watch for Pa plates to leave the club. Bang busted, yet in the years it's been open there hasn't been one story in the news.

TS what was Nappen's opinion.
    Going from Pennsylvania to/from New Jersey for the purpose of shooting at a New Jersey registered club is a nonissue since such travel (to and from) within New Jersey is covered by an exception (N.J.S.A. 2C: 39–6f); within Pa either by licensure or 18 Pa CS 6106(b)(4).
    Last edited by tl_3237; April 9th, 2014 at 03:43 PM.
    IANAL

I'm gonna bump this with my 2 cents. Being a former nj resident with a nj fid card. You can transport firearms throughout the state going to and from exempted locations. However from my interpretations of the law. If you are moving into or out of state you need to be really careful about what ammunition you are moving with. While a resident of nj can have hollow points at their home. The law does not state that it's ok to transport from a former residence to a new residence. Whether that be in state or out of state. I erred on the side of caution and used up my hp ammo at the range and then moved with my firearms to my new residence.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGFAN86 View Post
    I erred on the side of caution and used up my hp ammo at the range and then moved with my firearms to my new residence.
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

Oddly enough I did feel like Andy after crossing the state lines to pick up my house keys. Waded through all the shit of nj to get to a free state

(Montgomery County)

This thread has helped to crystallize, or maybe more like reinforce the idea of, a few points. I live in PA, and sometimes I talk to my NJ friends about going to the range near them, in NJ. But we don't always go. And on those occasions, I have brought a gun to NJ when I visited them. So the thread is about people from NJ bringing guns to PA, but I'm also talking about going FROM PA TO NJ. Here's what I take away from this thread, and here's what I know:

• "Don't bring a gun to Jersey."
      Advice from KF, Policeman in NNJ, and my dear friend. I said, "But K, what if I'm going to the range, and I only have target ammo, and blah blah blah..." and he smiled at me over his beer and said "DON'T... BRING... A GUN... TO JERSEY!" Real slow, like I was four. So while risk takers will do what they'll do, my friend KF the policeman was giving me some friendly advice, which translated is, "you really don't need the hassle".
    • From reading this thread, it's dawning on me that I had better know the name and address of the shooting range in NJ where my friend is talking about taking me. I'm gleaning from what I read on these posts, that saying to a cop, "I'm going to visit so and so, and we had plans maybe tomorrow or later today to do some target shooting..." No. If I get stopped by an officer, I better be able to make a case that my current location is reasonably "en route" to a shooting gallery. If I "test" the law and do carry from PA to NJ, with target ammo only of course, not loaded, stored separately, all the no-brainer stuff... I had better be able to tell that policeman exactly where I am headed. And that place had BETTER be open for business at the time.
    • If asked, "do you have any weapons?", I might lie. just being honest here. I'm not looking for trouble, not going to assassinate anyone, not plotting to mess with anyone or anything. It might be easier if I did get stopped, and asked, to just say, "No sir, no weapons except this little pocket knife."
    • Sometimes I load up my handgun with target ammo instead of defensive, even to just concealed carry here in PA. Because on at least one occasion, I made a late-in-the-day decision to visit a buddy in So. Jersey, and I forgot I was even carrying. And I went there with hollow points and bells on. So in order to not repeat that stupidity, I load up with target ammo, in case I find myself crossing the state line on a whim. Then all I have to do is separate the gun and the ammo, and have a plan to to meet at an acceptable practice range. And that carries other notions as well. Target ammo might not stop an attacked as well. But it also might not kill him as easily either.
    • And yes I always have my carry permit. I know, it's the law, but just saying. And it's valid, and I have a calendar appointment set to remind me a month or two before it expires.
    Last edited by Starfighter; February 28th, 2017 at 04:30 PM.
    I ain't hiding from nobody, nobody hiding from me. That's the way it's 'sposed to be.-RVZ

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    This thread has helped to crystallize, or maybe more like reinforce the idea of, a few points. I live in PA, and sometimes I talk to my NJ friends about going to the range near them, in NJ. But we don't always go. And on those occasions, I have brought a gun to NJ when I visited them. So the thread is about people from NJ bringing guns to PA, but I'm also talking about going FROM PA TO NJ. Here's what I take away from this thread, and here's what I know:

• "Don't bring a gun to Jersey."
      Advice from KF, Policeman in NNJ, and my dear friend. I said, "But K, what if I'm going to the range, and I only have target ammo, and blah blah blah..." and he smiled at me over his beer and said "DON'T... BRING... A GUN... TO JERSEY!" Real slow, like I was four. So while risk takers will do what they'll do, my friend KF the policeman was giving me some friendly advice, which translated is, "you really don't need the hassle".
    • From reading this thread, it's dawning on me that I had better know the name and address of the shooting range in NJ where my friend is talking about taking me. I'm gleaning from what I read on these posts, that saying to a cop, "I'm going to visit so and so, and we had plans maybe tomorrow or later today to do some target shooting..." No. If I get stopped by an officer, I better be able to make a case that my current location is reasonably "en route" to a shooting gallery. If I "test" the law and do carry from PA to NJ, with target ammo only of course, not loaded, stored separately, all the no-brainer stuff... I had better be able to tell that policeman exactly where I am headed. And that place had BETTER be open for business at the time.
    • If asked, "do you have any weapons?", I might lie. just being honest here. I'm not looking for trouble, not going to assassinate anyone, not plotting to mess with anyone or anything. It might be easier if I did get stopped, and asked, to just say, "No sir, no weapons except this little pocket knife."
    • Sometimes I load up my handgun with target ammo instead of defensive, even to just concealed carry here in PA. Because on at least one occasion, I made a late-in-the-day decision to visit a buddy in So. Jersey, and I forgot I was even carrying. And I went there with hollow points and bells on. So in order to not repeat that stupidity, I load up with target ammo, in case I find myself crossing the state line on a whim. Then all I have to do is separate the gun and the ammo, and have a plan to to meet at an acceptable practice range. And that carries other notions as well. Target ammo might not stop an attacked as well. But it also might not kill him as easily either.
    • And yes I always have my carry permit. I know, it's the law, but just saying. And it's valid, and I have a calendar appointment set to remind me a month or two before it expires.
    Don't … take … a gun … to Jersey.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    You're being over-generous:

Don't... go... to... Jersey
    DGAF

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    A, Kevin!!! Nice to see you on the forum. Your advice hasn't changed in 15 years.
    I ain't hiding from nobody, nobody hiding from me. That's the way it's 'sposed to be.-RVZ

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    A, Kevin!!! Nice to see you on the forum. Your advice hasn't changed in 15 years.
    I ain't him but he wasn't wrong.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Northampton County)

3 years later... have there been any court cases or opinions from government lawyers about this decade old debate?
    Free "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast