Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Urgent - UPMC Mercy Hospital Pittsburgh Posted??

Does anyone know if UPMC Mercy on Locust St in Pittsburgh is posted or has metal detectors?

The fiancee' was shipped there today from Brookville Hospital and I'm going down tomorrow after picking up her son from Boyscout camp..

...need to know if I should be bringing a lockbox for the car, concealing deep, or if they plain old dont care.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Urgent - UPMC Mercy Hospital Pittsburgh Posted??

I've been there before. Don't remember seeing any signs or detectors but I could be wrong on the signage. Mercy in the Southside definitely has a big ass sign but no detectors. I've always entered via the parking garage bridge and not the front door. May be posted in the front door though. Hope this helps.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Jefferson County)

Thank you!!!!!!
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Does anyone know if UPMC Mercy on Locust St in Pittsburgh is posted or has metal detectors?

The fiancee' was shipped there today from Brookville Hospital and I'm going down tomorrow after picking up her son from Boyscout camp..

...need to know if I should be bringing a lockbox for the car, concealing deep, or if they plain old dont care.
    Focus on one of the two first options, as it's unlikely that they don't care.

I've not been to that "branch" of UPMC in a few years, so I don't know about signage.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

They have metal detectors if entering thru E.R. otherwise just to visit O.K.

(Lancaster County)

Guarentee most hospitals have metal detectors at their ER entrance so just don't go in the ER entrance and likely you'll be fine.

(Washington County)

My niece was born at Mercy in December ( same birthday as uncle Dave). I went in with my commander 1911 in a galco owb and just pulled a my hoody down over it. Nothing was said and nobody except the family knew I was carrying.

You'll be fine as long as you use the main entrance across from the parking garage.
    Last edited by DaveyC; July 13th, 2012 at 07:22 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I work for UPMC in Oakland and there are NO signs on any buildings that I have seen. I do not believe there are any metal detectors except possibly at the ER entrance. I know Presby has them at their ER entrance but not the main entrance to the hospital. I know that security will check firearms for people going in to the ER (or at least they used to). If you CC they will never bother you unless you are going to the ER.
    "Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'" -unknown

(Indiana County)

No signs, but CONCEALED is best.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Himni View Post
    I work for UPMC in Oakland and there are NO signs on any buildings that I have seen. I do not believe there are any metal detectors except possibly at the ER entrance. I know Presby has them at their ER entrance but not the main entrance to the hospital. I know that security will check firearms for people going in to the ER (or at least they used to). If you CC they will never bother you unless you are going to the ER.

Yeah, as far as I know this is pretty much the way it is everywhere I've been. Only ER entrances are "fortified".

Most times all you need to do to avoid them is walk a few feet to another entrance.

Funny "gun in hospital" story. One time I went with my wife while she was having an MRI and when they called her back I was told I could go with her to keep her company. "Thanks, but I'll just wait here", I replied.
    Later, my wife told me the woman thought it was odd that I didn't want to come back with her. She didn't tell her that it wouldn't have been good if my Colt would have gone airborne when the MRI began. LOL
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast