Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Illegal roadblock from getting my LTCF?

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBeast View Post
    I simply assumed no one would care
    I have to admit that when I got my license almost 20 years ago, I didn't think twice about the "Extra" requirements that Montco imposed and just took the police check card to my local cop shop, where they didn't bat an eyelash at it. In my defense, I'll say that forums like this didn't exist then, so it wasn't readily apparent to me that what they were doing was illegal. My since then renewals have always gone smoothly.

If I was applying for the first time now, I might press this thing, much as you are doing. Now that I think about it, my son turns 21 next year...

I don't know what sort of assistance I might be able to render, but I live in the area and will eventually have to deal with the Sheriff's office when I renew so I would be happy to help in any way that I am able. Just send me a PM.
    will that extra 15% matter? not as much as being able to put one in their face. ~Edg

(Montgomery County)

Had anybody talked to Sherriff Bahr about this yet? She has made some positive changes with NFA items. Maybe if it is pointed out to her that local pds are charging for background checks which applicants aren't allowed to be charged for, she might just take the next step and do away with the police check card all together. She took a small step with the check card by making it optional for the applicant to do it themselves to get their LTCFs faster.
    Hafa Adai! IANAL I merely state my opinion. If I am wrong, please correct me.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BenP View Post
    Had anybody talked to Sherriff Bahr about this yet? She has made some positive changes with NFA items. Maybe if it is pointed out to her that local pds are charging for background checks which applicants aren't allowed to be charged for, she might just take the next step and do away with the police check card all together. She took a small step with the check card by making it optional for the applicant to do it themselves to get their LTCFs faster.
    Perhaps she should be encouraged to talk to her neighbor here in Bucks, Edward J. Donnelly, whose attitude on this manner wins him a vote from each and every Bucks County LTCF holder each time he stands for re-election. As you may have heard, the process her for law-abiding citizens is "20 minutes and 20 dollars" and we leave with our picture taken, our LTCF laminated, and the thanks of the deputy.

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: Illegal roadblock from getting my LTCF?

Same story with me. I live in Blue Bell. Got the local police check card from Whitpain township police and submitted the application at Montgomery County sherrif's office on July 2nd. They didnt accept the 20$, didnt take any picture and told me that they will contact me within 45days. It's now 21 days and no calls or any mail. Im waiting here just like you.. as you said, they might call on the 44.9th day.

(Erie County)

wow.... and i mean wow... here in erie county.... the sheriff deputy sat with me...looked up my info..photographed me...handed me my card...said have a nice day.
    live to ride

Quote Originally Posted by BenP View Post
    I already addressed that with Sheriff Behr a few months ago. Got them to change their website. I can't confirm that I am 100% to thank, but I'm at least a straw that broke the camel's back. The site's wording could still be improved.... But if you read it twice, it (un)clearly says that the check card is optional. You can view my posts on the topic here:

http://forum.pafoa.org/montgomery-15...ound-time.html

and here:

http://forum.pafoa.org/montgomery-15...ice-check.html

The sheriff's site is here which includes new wording:

http://sheriff.montcopa.org/sheriff/...,3,q,41609.asp
    Iconoclastic Individual Specimen

(Montgomery County)

Just an update: No word back yet. As sadly expected

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolPC View Post
    I already addressed that with Sheriff Behr a few months ago. Got them to change their website. I can't confirm that I am 100% to thank, but I'm at least a straw that broke the camel's back. The site's wording could still be improved.... But if you read it twice, it (un)clearly says that the check card is optional. You can view my posts on the topic here:

http://forum.pafoa.org/montgomery-15...ound-time.html

and here:

http://forum.pafoa.org/montgomery-15...ice-check.html

The sheriff's site is here which includes new wording:

http://sheriff.montcopa.org/sheriff/...,3,q,41609.asp
    Looks like a great job no matter how large or small a part your communication played. I think the way they have it listed now is an excellent solution to the complaints. It seems to allow for 2 options; 1 - follow the law as written to the letter (i.e. fill out only the required information, drop off the form and allow up to 45 days for it to be processed) or 2 - do as they asked previously, like I did several months ago (local police check, which for me took 1 week and was done after business hours, then a quick trip to Norristown where I left with my LTCF about 20 minutes after arriving). Sounds to me like this should satisfy anyone.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeyGuy View Post
    Looks like a great job no matter how large or small a part your communication played. I think the way they have it listed now is an excellent solution to the complaints. It seems to allow for 2 options; 1 - follow the law as written to the letter (i.e. fill out only the required information, drop off the form and allow up to 45 days for it to be processed) or 2 - do as they asked previously, like I did several months ago (local police check, which for me took 1 week and was done after business hours, then a quick trip to Norristown where I left with my LTCF about 20 minutes after arriving). Sounds to me like this should satisfy anyone.

But it sound like some folks are getting the local PD card signed and then still being told to wait 45 days.

Am I wrong?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast