Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Flint lock in a fire

I'm trying to get a flintlock this year to extend my season of seeing and missing deer. My buddy has one that was in a house fire at his uncles about a year ago. it was in a regular glass door display type cabinet and not a fire proof safe. The blueing on the barrel is a little screwed up but the wooden stock isn't burned up or distorted or anything. We are thinking it could be from the water/chemicals used to put the fire out and not the actual heat. My question is, if this flintlock was in major heat, would it make it unsafe?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Flint lock in a fire

Quote Originally Posted by cellboothmgr View Post
    I'm trying to get a flintlock this year to extend my season of seeing and missing deer. My buddy has one that was in a house fire at his uncles about a year ago. it was in a regular glass door display type cabinet and not a fire proof safe. The blueing on the barrel is a little screwed up but the wooden stock isn't burned up or distorted or anything. We are thinking it could be from the water/chemicals used to put the fire out and not the actual heat. My question is, if this flintlock was in major heat, would it make it unsafe?
    I'd say yes, it would be unsafe to shoot a barrel that was in extreme heat. Barrels are soft so that they don't crack under pressure. If you super heat the metal it might become brittle. However I find it unlikely that you did any damage to the barrel if the wood stock isn't affected. It couldn't hurt to have a competent gunsmith look at it.

It's probably fine.
    If the barrel is still straight, which is most likely the case, I would shoot it.
    Last edited by God's Country; July 13th, 2012 at 09:25 PM.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    I'd say yes, it would be unsafe to shoot a barrel that was in extreme heat. Barrels are soft so that they don't crack under pressure. If you super heat the metal it might become brittle. However I find it unlikely that you did any damage to the barrel if the wood stock isn't affected. It couldn't hurt to have a competent gunsmith look at it.
    I agree with this^^^^

(Bucks County)

If the stock along the barrel does not show signs of extreme heat the barrel should be fine. Do you have any pics?

(Lebanon County)

wood chars around 150 degrees F. it will ignite around 250 degrees F. those temps are nothing for steel of any sort. if the wood is undamaged from heat, the barrel is fine. in order to do any type of annealing, you would need upwards of 500 degrees F.
    Last edited by brian; July 13th, 2012 at 09:23 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Lancaster County)

the question is whether the frizzen still sparks after being annealed.....but that can be fixed.

(Butler County)

thanks everyone for the info. i should be checking out the gun tomorrow. he had 3 other shotguns(1 was a rem 11-87 12ga) and a remington 270. they were all in the same display case. i think he is getting those checked out by someone. i figured a flintlock doesnt have as much pressure as a 270 or 12 ga so i think ill be alright.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    wood chars around 150 degrees F. it will ignite around 250 degrees F. those temps are nothing for steel of any sort. if the wood is undamaged from heat, the barrel is fine. . . .
    Que? Sorry for the thread drift but where did you find those numbers?

Maybe C but not F, and it takes several years of exposure at 150C to darken and embrittle (not char) wood. At 250C, long term exposure to that temperature in a confined space might allow for ignition with a separate ignition source. An ordinary chunk of dry pine wood will auto ignite at about 425C or 800F.

I agree with you that if the wood was not obviously affected by the heat, the steel was likewise not affected.

(Indiana County)

My gunsmith has restored many house fire guns. I help him out and I've yet to see one that has not been able to be restored with the exception of an old S&W .38 that was forgotten about and was found some years later in the foundation when the new owner was going to build a garage.
    It was a total block of solid rust.

Have a smith check it but I highly doubt that a typical house fire is going to damage most firearms.

As for pressure, the barrel of a blackpowder rifle is heavy for a reason, it's a pipebomb with an open end.

I'd bet a blackpowder rifle has more pressure than a smokeless shotgun.
    (anyone else have any solid data?)

Fire is not put out with chemicals unless foam is used which is highly doubtful on a house fire or fire extinguishers were used, also highly doubtful unless the homeowner used one.
    Fire extinguisher powder makes a great rusting agent.

In short, I'd fire the gun with no hesitation because if the cabinet did not turn to charcoal, the gun is fine IMO.
    But that's me, I'd still advise a smith to check it even though I doubt he will find any problems.
    Typical house fires are really not that hot, I've been in plenty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast