Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default The (slow) evolution of my AR-15.

Edited 2019-08-05

I started this thread to document the decisions I have made with my main AR-15 rifle from when I first bought it in 2012 to the most recent post that can be found here.

I've also cleaned up some earlier posts removing dead links and moving image hosting off Photobucket.

Hope you enjoy.

Original post below.

It started it's life as a Stock Colt AR-15 Model 6920.

Here it is today

Current Upgrades include:

Magpul MOE Grip
    Magpul PMAG's
    LMT Rear Sight

Immediate Planned Upgrades
    Blue Force Gear Vickers Combat Application Sling
    Blue Force Gear Universal Wire Loop

Future Planned Upgrades
    Aimpoint PRO
    Midwest Industries Tactical Light Mount
    Surefire 6P
    Some kind of rail mount for the Light to the MI Mount

Possible Planned upgrades
    Redi-Mag

This is going to be a home defense rifle and for carbine classes.

The A1 stock grip was the first to go, the notch was just in the wrong spot for my hands. I got the Magpul grip because my buddy had one and it fit and I got it for $16 new. I got the PMAG's at the same time as I knew I would eventually want 30 round mags and they where on sale. I figure I should start training with them ASAP. I saw no real downside to the window mags and they where only a couple of dollars more than the standard ones.

I really did not need the LMT sight yet as I don't have an optic so the stock Colt carry handle/sight would have worked. But I knew after shooting some AR's with optics and getting to look at a bunch at the 2011 NRA convention that I would start with a fixed rear and a 1/3 co witness. I got a good deal on a second hand unused LMT sight so I figure if I change my mind and do go with a flip up I can sell it at close to what I bought it at.

The sling that the Colt came with is just some nylon webbing and the clips. I know slings are very personal but the reviews on the BFG VCAS where just to good. Also I want it mounted closer to the receiver so I will use the BFG UWL to mount it on the back of the hand guards.

I plan on shooting the irons for a while as $400 buys allot of ammo and I don't want to become dependent on an optic early on. Out of shooting an EOTech and an Aimpoint I preferred the Aimpoint. Now that the PRO is available to civilians it made the economics between Aimpont and EOTech better.

I'm going with the Surefire 6P based of reputation. The MI mount is because I see no real reason to buy a rail when all I want to mount is a light and a sling mount close to the receiver. I can do it with the MI mount and the BFG UWL cheaper and keep the double shielded Colt hand guards. I'm more worried about hand comfort vs mounting a bunch of accessories.

As this is a HD rifle. I doubt I will have time to strap on a belt or chest rig that has a spare mag. 30 rounds should be good enough for any HD encounter but I would like the extra mag in case I encounter a stoppage, especially a double feed and more rounds are always better. This is not a patrol rifle that I have to carry on me for extended periods of time so the extra weight is not an issue.
    Last edited by QuackXP; August 5th, 2019 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Update

(Wayne County)

Default Re: The (slow) evolution of my AR-15.

Great rig.Very smart choices. Mine has followed a similar progression. I skipped the MOE stuff this time around. And from my experience some of your choices for future gear are right on.

Vickers sling is top notch. I had one on my last carbine and it is all it's cracked up to be. The wire loop is a good idea, the design really favors a mount closer to the receiver.

The Aimpoint pro is GTG as well. I might change the mount out on mine at some point but buy with confidence. IMHO Aimpoint optimizes your M4's effectiveness in it's intended defensive role immediately so I got it ASAP

I really like your LMT set up. I'm running a matech on mine for now.

I run a 20 round colt mag with Federal Fusion 62gr Bonded Softpoints for HD. I can't see a need for the ready mag for my situation, I like the weight savings plus the Pony runs like a top. I can see where an extra 30 rounds can make ya feel better though. Nothing like more firepower to comfort....

here's 2 pics of mine. Similar tastes

Good luck with your rig and your training. you are doing it the right way! Stay safe man
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Wayne County)

Also on the lighting front have you checked out the Impact Weapons Components mounts? They make some trick stuff so you can use the standard handguards.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Splittiebus66 View Post
    I run a 20 round colt mag with Federal Fusion 62gr Bonded Softpoints for HD. I can't see a need for the ready mag for my situation, I like the weight savings plus the Pony runs like a top. I can see where an extra 30 rounds can make ya feel better though. Nothing like more firepower to comfort....
    I'm more worried about dealing with a stoppage and those are more than likely to be magazine related. I might test it out with two 20 round magazines if I do feel it's to heavy, but as I said I'm not going to have to carry it all day every day.

Also on the lighting front have you checked out the Impact Weapons Components mounts? They make some trick stuff so you can use the standard handguards.
    I have and to mount it you do have to drill holes in the heat shields of the hand guards. Right now I prefer not to make any permanent modification to the rifle, the FSB seems like a more solid mount point and the price is about the same either way.

(Lackawanna County)

I run a 6p led on a fsb mount and it's rock solid....has been for a couple years now and my carbine sees its fair share of work!

(Wayne County)

The mossie tactics mount looks cool for FSB.

(Centre County)

The mossie tactics mount looks cool for FSB.
    I'm loving my mossie with the X300 on it!

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Allegheny County)

An Update

Current Upgrades include:

Magpul MOE Grip
    Magpul PMAG's
    LMT Rear Sight
    Blue Force Gear Vickers Combat Application Sling
    Aimpoint PRO

Immediate Planned Upgrades
    White light.

Possible Planned upgrades
    Redi-Mag

I'm getting really torn on the options for the white light. I'm considering the Mossie tactics, the Impact Weapon Components mount I previously decided against or the Midwest industry FSB mount.

I like the 12:00 mount option of the Mossie. But for me reaching past the FSB is uncomfortable.

I am worried the other two options may interfere with the stock side mounted sling mount and I would have to reconfigure that and I like it where it is. I would not mind something closer to the back of the hand-guard for the sling mount but don't know what to do about that.

I'm considering going with a 9" FF modular hand guard to give me more flexibility and move a 12:00 mounted light closer. But that is allot of cash just to mount a light. I know I would get a FF barrel and some more options down the road but those are not what I consider priority now.
    Last edited by QuackXP; August 5th, 2019 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Changed Photo Hosting Provider
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Montgomery County)

You can swap out to the Magpul MOE handguards which can accept a light.

(Wayne County)

I've gone away from the Mossie mount. It's OK if nothing else will work ( i.e a LEO who cannot modify their gun) , but if you want to actually train with some decent round counts at night forget about it. I abandoned it after shooting through a few hundred rounds one night up at Star valley due to heat and comfort issues.

For the sling mount I highly recommend the fat Velcro one from Zahal.org, I have one on my BCM and had one on the Colt when it had it's regular handguards. They are pretty bomb proof and go on tight, plus it's cheap if you do go to a new HG in the future.

http://www.zahal.org/products/wide-v..._parent=153417

Here was my Colt in that configuration

and now. I went with a RAS for an HG. They are plentiful and cheap. For the light, I had the thorntail/G2X out there, it was awesome, but I busted that mount.....I have the new magpul mount on the way, we'll see how that holds up...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast